The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Homelessness Crisis
PostPosted: Sun January 28, 2024 2:25 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

tragabigzanda wrote:
B wrote:

Hey this is good

You people are hopeless

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun January 28, 2024 7:51 pm 
Production Police

PostPosted: Sun January 28, 2024 8:55 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I don’t feel like watching. Why can’t they be built?

PostPosted: Sun January 28, 2024 9:02 pm 
Future Drummer

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Zoning and racism

PostPosted: Sun January 28, 2024 9:06 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

blueviper wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Zoning and racism

Ironically, many of the folks now demanding affordable high-density urban housing are the same that called the projects a form of de-facto segregation 50 years ago.

PostPosted: Sun January 28, 2024 9:09 pm 
Production Police

Here's the real problem with high-density housing: You don't make any money building it, so no one wants to build it. Unless it's government subsidized, in which case, see Bi_3's response right above mine.

PostPosted: Mon January 29, 2024 5:19 am 
mXn

tragabigzanda wrote:
Here's the real problem with high-density housing: You don't make any money building it, so no one wants to build it. Unless it's government subsidized, in which case, see Bi_3's response right above mine.

Ok … grandma finally moves into a nursing home and the family sells her house. It’s a decades old rambler. A tear down. It sells for a ton of money because it’s in a desirable neighborhood with very little building space available. The buyer can make money one of two ways:

1) Build the largest house possible. Like 5,000+ sqft and get it as close to the lot lines as possible.

2) You don’t think they can make as much money by building three 1700 sqft 3-bedroom townhomes?

PostPosted: Mon January 29, 2024 12:25 pm 
Production Police

Bammer wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Ok … grandma finally moves into a nursing home and the family sells her house. It’s a decades old rambler. A tear down. It sells for a ton of money because it’s in a desirable neighborhood with very little building space available. The buyer can make money one of two ways:

1) Build the largest house possible. Like 5,000+ sqft and get it as close to the lot lines as possible.

2) You don’t think they can make as much money by building three 1700 sqft 3-bedroom townhomes?

3x HVAC
3x hot water heaters
3x kitchen appliances
3x W/D
3x countertops
3x bathroom fixtures
3x P&E costs

All paid for by interest-saddled construction loans.

Unencumbered square footage is the value add, from the developer’s perspective

Last edited by tragabigzanda on Mon January 29, 2024 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon January 29, 2024 1:03 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

It's supply yes, but also demand. It would be ridiculous to deny that allowing millions of people across the southern border in the last few years hasn't impacted housing. Over the last four years alone the population equivalent of of Massachusetts has crossed the southern border, but we have not built a Massachusetts' worthy of housing to support them.

Building the wall would dramatically reduce, but not eliminate, this piece of the problem. The wall would impact, but not eliminate, Fentanyl supplies as well which contributes to housing insecurity everywhere.

PostPosted: Mon January 29, 2024 2:33 pm 
mXn

tragabigzanda wrote:
Bammer wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

3x HVAC
3x hot water heaters
3x kitchen appliances
3x W/D
3x countertops
3x bathroom fixtures
3x P&E costs

Encumbered square footage is the value add, from the developer’s perspective

Good point. I’mma ask a developer about this. Part of me thinks ok the house would sell for like $3.5m but could each of the townhomes sell for $1.5m and how does the profit look on that.

PostPosted: Mon January 29, 2024 2:35 pm 
mXn

Bi_3 wrote:
It's supply yes, but also demand. It would be ridiculous to deny that allowing millions of people across the southern border in the last few years hasn't impacted housing. Over the last four years alone the population equivalent of of Massachusetts has crossed the southern border, but we have not built a Massachusetts' worthy of housing to support them.

Building the wall would dramatically reduce, but not eliminate, this piece of the problem. The wall would impact, but not eliminate, Fentanyl supplies as well which contributes to housing insecurity everywhere.

I’m curious how many of them are making their way to Seattle. I have not heard this discussed locally when it comes to supply/demand for housing here.

PostPosted: Mon January 29, 2024 2:42 pm 
Production Police

Bammer wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Bammer wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

3x HVAC
3x hot water heaters
3x kitchen appliances
3x W/D
3x countertops
3x bathroom fixtures
3x P&E costs

Good point. I’mma ask a developer about this. Part of me thinks ok the house would sell for like $3.5m but could each of the townhomes sell for $1.5m and how does the profit look on that.

Please note i typo’d “unencumbered”

PostPosted: Mon January 29, 2024 3:28 pm 
The Master

Nice highest and best use analysis, boys.

PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2024 12:52 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2024 1:23 am 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:

Anything else happen in Minneapolis in 2020 that may have affected housing prices?

PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2024 1:51 am 
Future Drummer

Bammer wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Bammer wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

3x HVAC
3x hot water heaters
3x kitchen appliances
3x W/D
3x countertops
3x bathroom fixtures
3x P&E costs

If they get the variance to split the lot into 3 smaller ones, you’d probably have upset neighbors with adding 3 more families in a spot that only had one

PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2024 2:07 am 
mXn

Setting Bi’s joke about drug overdoses aside, you might notice the inverse relationship between the two graphs.

Also blueviper is a confirmed NIMBY

PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2024 2:15 am 
Future Drummer

I work for a city and someone is trying to split a lot into two and neighbors are emailing the city and mayor complaining.

Also, depending on the scenario, I could be nimbyish

PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2024 3:23 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bammer wrote:
Setting Bi’s joke about drug overdoses aside, you might notice the inverse relationship between the two graphs.

That's kinda the point.

Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:
Anything else happen in Minneapolis in 2020 that may have affected housing prices?

I'm pretty confident that cops murdered Blacks in all of those cities.

PostPosted: Tue January 30, 2024 1:52 pm 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

What are you suggesting here ? George Floyd caused rents to decrease?

Housing prices haven't declined in mpls. Sales declined but prices have generally not declined at all. By all accounts rents have not declined either. Point is, that graph can go fuck itself too

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate