The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2022 Midterm Elections
PostPosted: Wed August 03, 2022 7:05 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

It's gotta be fake right? Two typos.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed August 03, 2022 8:17 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

My goodness, they freaking killed an abortion doctor in Kansas in 2009. Remarkable turnaround here.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/liv ... ato-pelosi

Kansas is an unlikely place for a triumph of abortion rights.

Starting in the 1990s, abortion providers in the state were repeated targets of violence, and in 2009, physician George Tiller was assassinated in Wichita. The state is a reliable GOP vote in presidential elections, and mostly sends Republicans to represent it in the Senate and House of Representatives - all of whom currently oppose abortion.

But as last night’s vote to keep abortion protections in the constitutions shows, its residents don’t necessarily share their views. Around 59 percent of voters rejected a measure to change the constitution to allow the procedure to be cracked down on - about matching the 58 percent of Americans Gallup found did not want Roe v. Wade overturned.

Whether red or blue, many states appear to share this dynamic. The Public Religion Research Institute says only in 10 states do majorities of voters want to make abortion illegal in all or most cases. Nationally, only 40 percent of people would support doing that.

PostPosted: Wed August 03, 2022 9:59 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Coach wrote:

The Public Religion Research Institute says only in 10 states do majorities of voters want to make abortion illegal in all or most cases. Nationally, only 40 percent of people would support doing that.

That's still pretty high and after yesterday the pro-lifers are not going to take any state for granted.

PostPosted: Thu August 04, 2022 12:18 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
Coach wrote:

The Public Religion Research Institute says only in 10 states do majorities of voters want to make abortion illegal in all or most cases. Nationally, only 40 percent of people would support doing that.

That's still pretty high and after yesterday the pro-lifers are not going to take any state for granted.

I agree

PostPosted: Thu August 04, 2022 3:35 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Not to mention, everyone just denies any election/voting results they don't like now.

PostPosted: Thu August 04, 2022 3:51 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Wasn't there one Republican woman in Arizona who said that if she won it would be legit, but if she didn't that means cheating?
The sad part is that I think she won...amazing times.

PostPosted: Thu August 04, 2022 3:53 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Coach wrote:
Wasn't there one Republican woman in Arizona who said that if she won it would be legit, but if she didn't that means cheating?
The sad part is that I think she won...amazing times.

That's how my 6 year old thinks about Mario Party on the Switch, so it's pretty likely that's how Kari Lake sees things as well.

PostPosted: Fri August 05, 2022 12:52 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

The loudest broken clock:

PostPosted: Fri August 05, 2022 12:56 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

lol fuck off Dick

PostPosted: Fri August 05, 2022 12:59 pm 
The Master

I thought Dick Cheney was dead. Must’ve been thinking of Rumsfeld.

PostPosted: Fri August 05, 2022 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hyperbole is fine for current political realities, but this is pretty major erasure of Jefferson Davis and his ilk.

PostPosted: Fri August 05, 2022 1:18 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lol Bush/Cheney were far and away the greatest threat and it's not even close.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri August 05, 2022 1:20 pm 

PostPosted: Fri August 05, 2022 1:20 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Gross

PostPosted: Fri August 05, 2022 2:16 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

If they were in the middle of trying to pass an infrastructure bill, Democrats would've applauded Hitler for building the Autobahn

PostPosted: Fri August 05, 2022 5:17 pm 
See you in another life, brother

The Argonaut wrote:
If they were in the middle of trying to pass an infrastructure bill, Democrats would've applauded Hitler for building the Autobahn

How dare you oppose the Interstate Highway Act, good sir!

PostPosted: Sun August 07, 2022 2:03 pm 
Future Drummer

Regarding the Kansas decision…

How often can you put to the vote to change state constitutional amendments? I couldn’t find anything on line.

Next year can they try again, or do you have to wait x amount of years to try again?

PostPosted: Mon August 08, 2022 12:18 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Looks like they could try again next time they have an election for state legislature as long as 2/3 of one of their houses
are willing to propose it.

From Ballotpedia:

Quote:
Article 14 of the Kansas Constitution is labeled Constitutional Amendment and Revision. It has two sections. The two sections lay out the two paths by which the Kansas Constitution can be altered.

One path is the legislatively referred constitutional amendment. Either house of the Kansas State Legislature can propose an amendment to the state's constitution. Two-thirds of the members of each chamber must approve the resolution. If they do, the proposed amendment goes on either the next statewide ballot during which members of the state legislature are elected, or on a special election ballot if the legislature agrees to have a special election for this purpose.

If a simple majority of the electors of the state who vote on the proposition agree with it, it becomes part of the constitution.
The legislature must say what the measure's ballot title will be in their resolution authorizing it.
If there is more than one proposed amendment, voters must be able to vote on them separately.
At most five amendments can be proposed for one election.
An amendment is allowed to revise one entire article of the constitution, "except the article on general provisions."

Another path is through a constitutional convention. If two-thirds of the members of each house of the state legislature vote in favor, the question "Shall there be a convention to amend or revise the constitution of the state of Kansas?" or "Shall there be a convention limited to revision of article(s) ________ of the constitution of the state of Kansas?" shall be placed on a statewide ballot. If a simple majority of those voting on that question say "yes," there shall be a convention. Any amendments or revisions that come out of the convention must go before the state's voters.

It's different in every state, though.

PostPosted: Mon August 08, 2022 1:42 pm 
The Master

Which is why it’s key that it was an overwhelming win for abortion rights. Legislators would be much more willing to raise this issue as soon as possible if it was closer to 50/50.

PostPosted: Mon August 08, 2022 2:02 pm 
The Master

I mean, queue GOP voter suppression hijinks of course.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate