The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Near Death Experiences
PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 2:48 pm 
Future Drummer

--- wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
In all times in its history, science has been shamelessly arrogant.

Fucking LOL at this nonsense.

I'm happy I didn't need a dictionary to help understand this response.

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 3:02 pm 
Future Drummer

The mmost logical explanation I've heard for near death experiences is that this is how the brain experiences a shutting off of it's existence. The conformity of experiences is due to the chemicals being released as death nears which universal.

That said, my son flatlined for a bit when he was 10 or so and came out of it saying "God eats buttered popcorn at the movies". I was like WTF. Then my kid explained "God eats buttered popcorn at the movies. He's tried to reach down to grab me to join him a couple times but he keeps losing his grip due to the butter on his fingers." It did leave my kid thinking that he had a purpose to fulfill but with no idea what that purpose was/is.

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 3:08 pm 
Future Drummer

Last edited by --- on Mon January 11, 2021 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 3:31 pm 
Future Drummer

--- wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
--- wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
In all times in its history, science has been shamelessly arrogant.

Fucking LOL at this nonsense.

I'm happy I didn't need a dictionary to help understand this response.

You also clearly didn't need a science book to help you with your previous response.

And if you've read what I meant by that statement then you'd understand a little of what I was getting at. But instead you look for your conceited response which has no importance to me in the overall discussion. I don't even know why I'm spending my time writing this to you. Good day, sir.

surfndestroy wrote:
The mmost logical explanation I've heard for near death experiences is that this is how the brain experiences a shutting off of it's existence. The conformity of experiences is due to the chemicals being released as death nears which universal.

That said, my son flatlined for a bit when he was 10 or so and came out of it saying "God eats buttered popcorn at the movies". I was like WTF. Then my kid explained "God eats buttered popcorn at the movies. He's tried to reach down to grab me to join him a couple times but he keeps losing his grip due to the butter on his fingers." It did leave my kid thinking that he had a purpose to fulfill but with no idea what that purpose was/is.

Interesting.

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 4:03 pm 
Poster of the Year

Harry Lime wrote:
What I do know, based on the cases that I've read about, the people who have had them come out totally different people. Their attitude towards life and others changes dramatically for the better. So whatever they experienced obviously had a profound effect. To tell them that all they were doing was hallucinating would be an insult to them.

People have come out of really good acid trips with the same profound change.

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 4:09 pm 
Future Drummer

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
What I do know, based on the cases that I've read about, the people who have had them come out totally different people. Their attitude towards life and others changes dramatically for the better. So whatever they experienced obviously had a profound effect. To tell them that all they were doing was hallucinating would be an insult to them.

Aldous Huxley I suppose would be one of them, but the two I've known didn't take their acid trip experience in a positive direction. But if you have your own personal story, or a friend's account, do tell.

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 4:11 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Harry Lime wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:

Aldous Huxley I suppose would be one of them, but the two I've known didn't take their acid trip experience in a positive direction. But if you have your own personal story, or a friend's account, do tell.

Is the direction they took their experience actually relevant? Profound doesn't have to mean positive. A war experience is profound and entirely negative.

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 4:12 pm 

I think you're trying to attach morality to your arguments without declaring that, Harry.

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 4:15 pm 
Future Drummer

harmless wrote:
I think you're trying to attach morality to your arguments without declaring that, Harry.

Probably so. Maybe I was afraid it'd fall in the category of an organized religion, which is where a lot of NDE cases end up.

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 4:21 pm 

Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:

Probably so. Maybe I was afraid it'd fall in the category of an organized religion, which is where a lot of NDE cases end up.

What, seriously? This screams conspiracy theory to me.

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 4:27 pm 
Future Drummer

harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:

Is this sarcasm?

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 4:36 pm 

Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:

Is this sarcasm?

My apologies, I thought you meant drug experiences ('NDE' was an abbreviation I had to look up). But still, you've lost me completely. The response was about drugs, right? I wasn't aware that drug experiences lead to organised religion.

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 4:51 pm 
Future Drummer

harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:

Is this sarcasm?

My apologies, I thought you meant drug experiences ('NDE' was an abbreviation I had to look up). But still, you've lost me completely. The response was about drugs, right? I wasn't aware that drug experiences lead to organised religion.

I meant the Near Death Exerience being associated with those who end up finding God in their life, and make wilful efforts to improve not only their appreciation for their own life, but of the lives of those close to them. A lot of them latch on to an organized faith. Some become preachers; the Howard Storm story as example. On a side note, being a good person is tough work.

Involving drugs? The two I know had their lives spiral out of control. They'd reminisce about their experience and how they saw their dead grandparents etc, but no real impact in their life afterwards. It's just those two that I heard personally though, so I don't know.

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 4:58 pm 

Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:

Is this sarcasm?

I meant the Near Death Exerience being associated with those who end up finding God in their life, and make wilful efforts to improve not only their appreciation for their own life, but of the lives of those close to them. A lot of them latch on to an organized faith. Some become preachers; the Howard Storm story as example. On a side note, being a good person is tough work.

Involving drugs? The two I know had their lives spiral out of control. They'd reminisce about their experience and how they saw their dead grandparents etc, but no real impact in their life afterwards (?). It's just those two that I heard personally though, so I don't know.

That seems like a pretty big impact afterwards. No?

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 5:08 pm 
Future Drummer

harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:

Is this sarcasm?

Involving drugs? The two I know had their lives spiral out of control. They'd reminisce about their experience and how they saw their dead grandparents etc, but no real impact in their life afterwards (?). It's just those two that I heard personally though, so I don't know.

Yeah but positive or negative impact? Perhaps it's all subjective, but I know for sure that one of the two has his regrets.

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 5:12 pm 

Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:

Is this sarcasm?

Yeah but positive or negative impact? Perhaps it's all subjective, but I know for sure that one of the two has his regrets.

You keep wandering away from your original arguments. You originally replied to CHUD, who said "People have come out of really good acid trips with the same profound change." He said nothing about positive or negative... All he was arguing was that hallucinations did not preclude a profound life change. Nothing positive or negative was implied, that was something you added, as if a life change was only profound if it was positive.

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 5:23 pm 
Future Drummer

harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:

Is this sarcasm?

You keep wandering away from your original arguments. You originally replied to CHUD, who said "People have come out of really good acid trips with the same profound change." He said nothing about positive or negative... All he was arguing was that hallucinations did not preclude a profound life change. Nothing positive or negative was implied, that was something you added, as if a life change was only profound if it was positive.

Obviously CHUD needs to explain more then. I was only responding to his response to my original words.

"Same profound change". I just explained how they're different in regards to the limited research that I'm familiar with. Why are we making this difficult?

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 5:29 pm 

Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:

Is this sarcasm?

Obviously CHUD needs to explain more then. I was only responding to his response to my original words.

"Same profound change". I just explained how they're different in regards to the limited research that I'm familiar with. Why are we making this difficult?

Tell you what, never mind.

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 5:37 pm 
Future Drummer

harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:

Is this sarcasm?

Fine. But I feel as if we have stopped work on the transatlantic bridge between you and I. YOu are a Brit, right?

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 5:41 pm 

Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:

Is this sarcasm?

Fine. But I feel as if we have stopped work on the transatlantic bridge between you and I. YOu are a Brit, right?

:lol: Yes I am.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate