The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Near Death Experiences
PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 6:16 pm 
Poster of the Year

harmless wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
What I do know, based on the cases that I've read about, the people who have had them come out totally different people. Their attitude towards life and others changes dramatically for the better. So whatever they experienced obviously had a profound effect. To tell them that all they were doing was hallucinating would be an insult to them.

People have come out of really good acid trips with the same profound change.

Aldous Huxley I suppose would be one of them, but the two I've known didn't take their acid trip experience in a positive direction. But if you have your own personal story, or a friend's account, do tell.

Is the direction they took their experience actually relevant? Profound doesn't have to mean positive. A war experience is profound and entirely negative.

My point is the experiences described in near death experiences can be found in other circumstances that don't fall back on "well, this must be heaven i'm seeing".

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 7:20 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

That, and plenty of people face death and end up changing their behavior substantially...even when "facing death' meant something as non-enlightening as beating cancer or making it through an Eagles record.

PostPosted: Fri August 23, 2013 3:23 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

i just got around to reading this fucking awesome thread

PostPosted: Fri August 23, 2013 5:03 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Alex wrote:
i just got around to reading this fucking awesome thread

PostPosted: Mon August 26, 2013 11:53 am 
Future Drummer

I'll have to reread some material I looked at long ago, but I remember cases where the survivor of the near death experience came back with knowledge about deceased family members that was previously unknown to them. As if they met their dead family members, gained knowledge, and came back to tell about it.

And of course the sceptic would probably say, "Well, it's obvious they harbored this information already, then forgot about it, and then the said information resurfaced with the aid of halluncinations caused by the dying brain."

I guess there is no way to prove it either way, but I'm going to at least admit it's a mystery.

PostPosted: Mon August 26, 2013 1:23 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

it's fuckin ancient aliens brah

PostPosted: Mon August 26, 2013 4:37 pm 
Poster of the Year

oh for fucks sake

PostPosted: Mon August 26, 2013 4:44 pm 
Future Drummer

Alex wrote:
it's fuckin ancient aliens brah

Contrary to what everyone else thought, that was actually the only thing I liked about the latest Indy film.

Post subject: Life After Death
PostPosted: Thu November 14, 2013 7:38 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I came across this page about a year ago; nderf.org (near death experience research foundation). Very interesting. Thousands of experiences. Pearl Jams music deals with themes of mortality at times. I thought fans of the band might be interested in this topic. Amazing. Please don't repeat some "when your brain is shutting down" bullshit to me. For the first time doctors were able to document a NDE experience with a woman who had a blood clot located near the botom of her brain. Doctors had to make her die for a few minutes during surgery to remove the clot from this area, they also realized that a NDE could be documented in this controlled environment. Anyhoo, when she came to she was able to describe what the doctors were saying and what they were doing during surgery, why? Because she was floating above them and observing. The surgeans reported that it was impossible for her to know what they were saying and doing……because she was fucking dead…… I also have a great grandmother who had a NDE experience very much the same as the reports on this page. I remember reading one report about a man who had died for a few minutes during a heart attack, when he asked a spirit in the after world what is the meaning of life in the physical world, the spirit said "for the entertainment of the spirit realm." Volumes of experiences here, beautiful.

nderf.org

Post subject: Re: Life After Death
PostPosted: Thu November 14, 2013 7:44 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

LuNY wrote:
I came across this page about a year ago; nderf.org (near death experience research foundation). Very interesting. Thousands of experiences. Pearl Jams music deals with themes of mortality at times. I thought fans of the band might be interested in this topic. Amazing. Please don't repeat some "when your brain is shutting down" bullshit to me. For the first time doctors were able to document a NDE experience with a woman who had a blood clot located near the botom of her brain. Doctors had to make her die for a few minutes during surgery to remove the clot from this area, they also realized that a NDE could be documented in this controlled environment. Anyhoo, when she came to she was able to describe what the doctors were saying and what they were doing during surgery, why? Because she was floating above them and observing. The surgeans reported that it was impossible for her to know what they were saying and doing……because she was fucking dead…… I also have a great grandmother who had a NDE experience very much the same as the reports on this page. I remember reading one report about a man who had died for a few minutes during a heart attack, when he asked a spirit in the after world what is the meaning of life in the physical world, the spirit said "for the entertainment of the spirit realm." Volumes of experiences here, beautiful.

nderf.org

Since we already have a near death experiences thread I'm going to merge this.

PostPosted: Thu November 14, 2013 7:46 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Oh shit thanks, I did a search for this topic, nothing came up. My bad.

PostPosted: Thu November 14, 2013 8:17 pm 
Future Drummer

I'll make sure to bring a bag of popcorn to the other side, then.

PostPosted: Thu November 14, 2013 8:30 pm 
post-structuralist

I'm pretty sure there are no nea you know, my heart just isn't in it without the alex account around to slap this thread silly

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Wed November 27, 2013 9:10 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

i unfortunately can't enjoy new posters anymore because i immediately assume they're second accounts. i really want LuNY to be real.

PostPosted: Mon December 02, 2013 6:22 am 
Gone

I almost died once. Nothing to report, sorry.

PostPosted: Mon December 02, 2013 6:24 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Oh, yeah.

PostPosted: Mon December 02, 2013 2:31 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

verb_to_trust wrote:
I almost died once. Nothing to report, sorry.

I was hit by a car when I was young. What follows is a recreation of that experience:

PostPosted: Mon December 02, 2013 5:17 pm 
The worst

I have a near death experience every time I see my wife watching Long Island Medium. I think I'd rather she be having an affair

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri January 03, 2014 3:18 am 
Future Drummer

Roger Ebert's wife on the day he died:

Quote:
The one thing people might be surprised about—Roger said that he didn't know if he could believe in God. He had his doubts. But toward the end, something really interesting happened. That week before Roger passed away, I would see him and he would talk about having visited this other place. I thought he was hallucinating. I thought they were giving him too much medication. But the day before he passed away, he wrote me a note: "This is all an elaborate hoax." I asked him, "What's a hoax?" And he was talking about this world, this place. He said it was all an illusion. I thought he was just confused. But he was not confused. He wasn't visiting heaven, not the way we think of heaven. He described it as a vastness that you can't even imagine. It was a place where the past, present, and future were happening all at once.

PostPosted: Fri January 03, 2014 3:34 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Harry Lime wrote:
Roger Ebert's wife on the day he died:

Quote:
The one thing people might be surprised about—Roger said that he didn't know if he could believe in God. He had his doubts. But toward the end, something really interesting happened. That week before Roger passed away, I would see him and he would talk about having visited this other place. I thought he was hallucinating. I thought they were giving him too much medication. But the day before he passed away, he wrote me a note: "This is all an elaborate hoax." I asked him, "What's a hoax?" And he was talking about this world, this place. He said it was all an illusion. I thought he was just confused. But he was not confused. He wasn't visiting heaven, not the way we think of heaven. He described it as a vastness that you can't even imagine. It was a place where the past, present, and future were happening all at once.

Thats an interesting thought.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate