The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post subject: Re: Near Death Experiences
PostPosted: Fri January 03, 2014 3:36 am 
Future Drummer

VinylGuy wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
Roger Ebert's wife on the day he died:

Quote:
The one thing people might be surprised about—Roger said that he didn't know if he could believe in God. He had his doubts. But toward the end, something really interesting happened. That week before Roger passed away, I would see him and he would talk about having visited this other place. I thought he was hallucinating. I thought they were giving him too much medication. But the day before he passed away, he wrote me a note: "This is all an elaborate hoax." I asked him, "What's a hoax?" And he was talking about this world, this place. He said it was all an illusion. I thought he was just confused. But he was not confused. He wasn't visiting heaven, not the way we think of heaven. He described it as a vastness that you can't even imagine. It was a place where the past, present, and future were happening all at once.

Thats an interesting thought.

Jacob's Ladder

PostPosted: Fri January 03, 2014 3:41 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Harry Lime wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
Roger Ebert's wife on the day he died:

Quote:
The one thing people might be surprised about—Roger said that he didn't know if he could believe in God. He had his doubts. But toward the end, something really interesting happened. That week before Roger passed away, I would see him and he would talk about having visited this other place. I thought he was hallucinating. I thought they were giving him too much medication. But the day before he passed away, he wrote me a note: "This is all an elaborate hoax." I asked him, "What's a hoax?" And he was talking about this world, this place. He said it was all an illusion. I thought he was just confused. But he was not confused. He wasn't visiting heaven, not the way we think of heaven. He described it as a vastness that you can't even imagine. It was a place where the past, present, and future were happening all at once.

Thats an interesting thought.

Jacob's Ladder

*String Theory

PostPosted: Fri January 03, 2014 3:49 am 
post-structuralist

star trek the next generation

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Fri January 03, 2014 3:53 am 
Future Drummer

I can't wait to die so I can figure this shit out.

PostPosted: Fri January 03, 2014 3:54 am 
Poster of the Year

Maybe you and that girl can die together.

PostPosted: Fri January 03, 2014 4:24 am 
Future Drummer

Like in old age or like tomorrow?

PostPosted: Fri January 03, 2014 4:24 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Hallucinations are not, I love reading stories like that.

PostPosted: Fri January 03, 2014 5:50 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

a kid i graduated with had a major heart attack at the ripe ol age of 35. they had to revive him a total of 45 times. he is by no means a super religious or even semi religious person.

having said that he recalls talking to long dead family members and strolling towards a light. i believe this did happen to him as i do not think he would make this up. now is this proof of an afterlife or is this the workings of the brain when it is deprived of oxygen i am not sure.

PostPosted: Sat January 04, 2014 12:22 am 

Did the "visions" (seeing dead loved ones, moving towards light, no sense of time) actually come to those who first had near-death experiences w/o any preconceived notions of what death would bring, and then gained traction due to the quantity of similar stories, or are these clichés merely instilled in our minds from the passing of those stories which were created by some religious zealot, causing the brain to basically default to that when recognizing death?
Does that make sense?

PostPosted: Sat January 04, 2014 12:24 am 

I meant to add that i was not looking for an answer from anyone, and only sharing the thought.

Post subject: Re: Life After Death
PostPosted: Sat January 04, 2014 7:01 am 
A Return To Form

LuNY wrote:
I came across this page about a year ago; nderf.org (near death experience research foundation). Very interesting. Thousands of experiences. Pearl Jams music deals with themes of mortality at times. I thought fans of the band might be interested in this topic. Amazing. Please don't repeat some "when your brain is shutting down" bullshit to me. For the first time doctors were able to document a NDE experience with a woman who had a blood clot located near the botom of her brain. Doctors had to make her die for a few minutes during surgery to remove the clot from this area, they also realized that a NDE could be documented in this controlled environment. Anyhoo, when she came to she was able to describe what the doctors were saying and what they were doing during surgery, why? Because she was floating above them and observing. The surgeans reported that it was impossible for her to know what they were saying and doing……because she was fucking dead…… I also have a great grandmother who had a NDE experience very much the same as the reports on this page. I remember reading one report about a man who had died for a few minutes during a heart attack, when he asked a spirit in the after world what is the meaning of life in the physical world, the spirit said "for the entertainment of the spirit realm." Volumes of experiences here, beautiful.

nderf.org

It appears as though you are referring to (rather sloppily) the "Pam Reynolds" case, which actually occurred in 1991.

The case does not approach the black and white status you give it, there is plenty of skeptical research.

As usual folks, analyze sources, search for alternate opinions, make an informed judgment.

Post subject: Re: Life After Death
PostPosted: Sat January 04, 2014 6:26 pm 
post-structuralist

Man in Black wrote:
LuNY wrote:
I came across this page about a year ago; nderf.org (near death experience research foundation). Very interesting. Thousands of experiences. Pearl Jams music deals with themes of mortality at times. I thought fans of the band might be interested in this topic. Amazing. Please don't repeat some "when your brain is shutting down" bullshit to me. For the first time doctors were able to document a NDE experience with a woman who had a blood clot located near the botom of her brain. Doctors had to make her die for a few minutes during surgery to remove the clot from this area, they also realized that a NDE could be documented in this controlled environment. Anyhoo, when she came to she was able to describe what the doctors were saying and what they were doing during surgery, why? Because she was floating above them and observing. The surgeans reported that it was impossible for her to know what they were saying and doing……because she was fucking dead…… I also have a great grandmother who had a NDE experience very much the same as the reports on this page. I remember reading one report about a man who had died for a few minutes during a heart attack, when he asked a spirit in the after world what is the meaning of life in the physical world, the spirit said "for the entertainment of the spirit realm." Volumes of experiences here, beautiful.

nderf.org

It appears as though you are referring to (rather sloppily) the "Pam Reynolds" case, which actually occurred in 1991.

The case does not approach the black and white status you give it, there is plenty of skeptical research.

As usual folks, analyze sources, search for alternate opinions, make an informed judgment.

MiB, meet LuNY

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate