The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1733 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 87  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ukraine
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 8:46 pm 
Gone

Did anyone score U2 Tix?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:39 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Russian TV Hacked With Anti-War Message Ahead of Military Parade Coverage

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:13 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Boomers determined to go out with a bang.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:46 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:

Boomers determined to go out with a bang.

You have to go pretty crazy to make Michael Tracey seem to make a point on this topic. He and Greenwald seem to be of the opinion that Russia did nothing wrong and Ukraine is obliged to surrender because NATO exists or something.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:07 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Why are people like Chomsky claiming the US could end this tomorrow?

If the US and others are taking the position that sanctions won't end if there's a peace deal that's one thing, but I don't have any reason to believe that's the case.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:35 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

He thinks the only way to end the war is through negotiation. He is basically saying to give up Crimea, let’s have elections in Donbas if all agree to it, and then we can end the war. And he thinks that US policy is stopping that from happening.

He is a well educated man, but he is underestimating the greed and insanity in Moscow, and overplaying the role of the US. Not surprising.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:16 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Anders wrote:
He thinks the only way to end the war is through negotiation. He is basically saying to give up Crimea, let’s have elections in Donbas if all agree to it, and then we can end the war. And he thinks that US policy is stopping that from happening.

He is a well educated man, but he is underestimating the greed and insanity in Moscow, and overplaying the role of the US. Not surprising.

The problem is Russia defines Luhansk and Donetsk not as the territory they occupied before 2/24, but the entire oblasts, so they were asking Ukraine to cede additional territory. You have to ignore this rather significant aspect to pretend that Ukraine's refusal to agree to implement Minsk 2 to Russia's understanding was unreasonable.

Russia's war aims are rather abstract, so it's not clear that we could even pressure Ukraine to give Russia what it wants anyhow. Promise to stop resenting Russia and do it's bidding unquestioningly?

After facing Russian personnel (Korea) and equipment (Vietnam) it's kind of perverse to see the handwringing about providing weapons that are killing Russian soldiers.

The only critique that lands is that we should probably be more discreet about our involvement.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:53 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Putin seems to have well and truly spooked French President Macron. Who has changed his language about this whole thing over the last days and most recent call with Putin.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:00 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

simple schoolboy wrote:
Anders wrote:

The problem is Russia defines Luhansk and Donetsk not as the territory they occupied before 2/24, but the entire oblasts, so they were asking Ukraine to cede additional territory. You have to ignore this rather significant aspect to pretend that Ukraine's refusal to agree to implement Minsk 2 to Russia's understanding was unreasonable.

Russia's war aims are rather abstract, so it's not clear that we could even pressure Ukraine to give Russia what it wants anyhow. Promise to stop resenting Russia and do it's bidding unquestioningly?

After facing Russian personnel (Korea) and equipment (Vietnam) it's kind of perverse to see the handwringing about providing weapons that are killing Russian soldiers.

The only critique that lands is that we should probably be more discreet about our involvement.

Kherson is not in the Donbas at all, and it appears a clear goal of Russia to keep it, and even go further west, all the way to Transnistria.

Last edited by Anders on Wed May 11, 2022 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:15 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Anders wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Anders wrote:

Kherson is not in the Donbas at all, and it appears a clear goal ofvRussia to keep it, and even go further west, all the way to Transnistria.

Transnistria is an insane objective. I know US announced Intel supporting that claim, but if accurate the Russian decision making apparatus is more broken than we thought.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:49 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

simple schoolboy wrote:
Anders wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Anders wrote:

Kherson is not in the Donbas at all, and it appears a clear goal of Russia to keep it, and even go further west, all the way to Transnistria.

Transnistria is an insane objective. I know US announced Intel supporting that claim, but if accurate the Russian decision making apparatus is more broken than we thought.

They already occupy Transnistria, so taking Odessa will be the difficult goal. They already hold the region from Russia to Kherson, if they capture Odessa, I don’t see how they can be stopped from achieving this goal.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:51 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:52 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Anders wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Anders wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Anders wrote:

They already occupy Transnistria, so taking Odessa will be the difficult goal. They already hold the region from Russia to Kherson, if they capture Odessa, I don’t see how they can be stopped from achieving this goal.

Sorry, connecting to Transnistria is the insane part.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:20 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:05 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

There was a map somewhere showing where the 1.2M were being relocated. Some were all the way to the Pacific coast.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:02 pm 

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 12:07 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:42 pm 

This will be the last time this guys seen alive. Extraordinary admission.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:12 am 

Really good thread

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:47 am 

When a war criminal slips up

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1733 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 87  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate