The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 87  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ukraine
PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2022 11:54 am 
Looks Like a Cat

dimejinky99 wrote:
Care to back up anything you said there Bi_3

Sure. By "lost" I mean they will be forced to surrender the territories the Russians wanted back in February before 10's of thousands of lives were lost, Donbas being the big one.

Sanctions have failed:

Forty percent of the world's population is increasing it's consumption of Russian energy exports:

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/indias-imports-cheap-russian-crude-surge-since-ukraine-invasion-2022-05-30/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-20/china-boosts-energy-imports-from-russia-despite-impact-of-covid

https://www.theweek.in/news/world/2022/06/01/italy-imports-more-russian-oil-despite-impending-embargo.html

Russia has sealed of the Azov sea:

Food and Water shortages elsewhere in south Ukraine where Russia is advancing to control the Black Sea:

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2022-05-27/Ukraine-s-Mykolaiv-faces-water-shortage-as-fighting-cuts-pipeline-1ane6TVV3zi/index.html

And overall we are likely seeing intentionally rosy reporting to avoid giving any sense of momentum for Russia to capitalize on in their media:

https://time.com/6176748/ukraine-war-economy/

PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2022 11:56 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I don't think you know what the Russians want. Big mistake there.

PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2022 12:03 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Anders wrote:

You might be right, I am not educated on the history of the region. I assume it's about creating a territorial "fence" between Europe and Asia that Russia can use to control the movement of goods and resources (for example natural gas).

PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2022 12:25 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
Anders wrote:

You might be right, I am not educated on the history of the region. I assume it's about creating a territorial "fence" between Europe and Asia that Russia can use to control the movement of goods and resources (for example natural gas).

It’s about something much larger than that. Putin and many Russians consider Ukraine and Belarus (and Ukrainians and Belarusians) as part of Russia, and that Ukraine is under a corrupted regime (this goes way deeper that Zelensky).

Quotes from Putin:

"As a result of Bolshevik policy, Soviet Ukraine arose, which even today can with good reason be called 'Vladimir Ilyich Lenin's Ukraine'. He is its author and architect. This is fully confirmed by archive documents ... And now grateful descendants have demolished monuments to Lenin in Ukraine. This is what they call decommunisation. Do you want decommunisation? Well, that suits us just fine. But it is unnecessary, as they say, to stop halfway. We are ready to show you what real decommunisation means for Ukraine."

"From the very first steps they began to build their statehood on the denial of everything that unites us. They tried to distort the consciousness, the historical memory of millions of people, entire generations living in Ukraine."

Donbas/Crimea are just means to an end, already Russia has gone for Kherson, Kharkiv and Kyiv, none of which are in Donbas or Crimea. Russia has done similar in other countries before, and will continue to do so.

PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2022 1:08 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Anders wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Anders wrote:

It’s about something much larger than that. Putin and many Russians consider Ukraine and Belarus (and Ukrainians and Belarusians) as part of Russia, and that Ukraine is under a corrupted regime (this goes way deeper that Zelensky).

Quotes from Putin:

"As a result of Bolshevik policy, Soviet Ukraine arose, which even today can with good reason be called 'Vladimir Ilyich Lenin's Ukraine'. He is its author and architect. This is fully confirmed by archive documents ... And now grateful descendants have demolished monuments to Lenin in Ukraine. This is what they call decommunisation. Do you want decommunisation? Well, that suits us just fine. But it is unnecessary, as they say, to stop halfway. We are ready to show you what real decommunisation means for Ukraine."

"From the very first steps they began to build their statehood on the denial of everything that unites us. They tried to distort the consciousness, the historical memory of millions of people, entire generations living in Ukraine."

Donbas/Crimea are just means to an end, already Russia has gone for Kherson, Kharkiv and Kyiv, none of which are in Donbas or Crimea. Russia has done similar in other countries before, and will continue to do so.

:thumbsup:

Thank you. Obviously I have a lot to learn on this.

PostPosted: Wed June 08, 2022 6:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Wed June 08, 2022 10:18 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Apparently Russia's campaign of blowing up every possible ammo dump in Ukraine from 2014 til the present extended to one in the Czech Republic (ammo was intended for Ukraine) which killed 2 people.

Part of the reason they are importing NATO spec artillery is because the Warsaw Pact stuff outside of Russia is fairly well depleted at this point. But again, they were pretty negligent with their storage and security and kept shrugging off ammo dump explosions.

PostPosted: Thu June 09, 2022 9:53 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Sat June 11, 2022 1:11 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Ruddo, what would be involved in integrating SEAD munitions such as the AGM-88 HARM missiles with Ukrainian aircraft? Is there any possibility of adding a booster on these for ground launch?

PostPosted: Wed June 15, 2022 5:05 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Russia seems to be making slow gains in their (updated for the 10th time) limited objective of taking all of the Donbas. If they can grind this down and credibly claim victory, it seems like the Michael Traceys of the world were almost on to something.

It is immoral to encourage the Ukrainians to continue the fight if they have no chance of prevailing. If they haven't yet capitulated because of promised aid that hasn't been handed over, that makes us the asshole.

PostPosted: Wed June 15, 2022 11:24 am 
Looks Like a Cat

simple schoolboy wrote:
Russia seems to be making slow gains in their (updated for the 10th time) limited objective of taking all of the Donbas. If they can grind this down and credibly claim victory, it seems like the Michael Traceys of the world were almost on to something.

It is immoral to encourage the Ukrainians to continue the fight if they have no chance of prevailing. If they haven't yet capitulated because of promised aid that hasn't been handed over, that makes us the asshole.

It is immoral to encourage anyone to fight your enemies for you when you know they will lose everything in doing so.

PostPosted: Wed June 15, 2022 1:36 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

At this rate we'll go broke before Russia does.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed June 15, 2022 10:01 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

BurtReynolds wrote:
At this rate we'll go broke before Russia does.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu June 16, 2022 2:52 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i mean, were we not supposed to sanction them? land war in europe? so fucking people pay $2 more at the pump who gives af they can eat shit we are fighting a real enemy here land invasion in europe gtfo

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Thu June 16, 2022 11:21 am 

Wtf do I care about a land war in Europe?

PostPosted: Fri June 17, 2022 1:20 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
Wtf do I care about a land war in Europe?

cost of birdseed prob sykrocketing rn bc captain commie keeps shelling grain silos!!

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Fri June 17, 2022 1:21 am 
Gone

Is zelensky still wearing that stupid t shirt?

PostPosted: Tue June 21, 2022 12:45 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

PostPosted: Tue June 21, 2022 1:04 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Quote:
One sign the Russian economy remains under severe pressure is that inflation in Russia is more than double the rate in the U.S. That's creating pressure for Russians to move their money out of the country, said Frankel of the Harvard Kennedy School.

Russian Central Bank can't loosen their policies or all this value disappears. But they can't keep things the way they are because it's too expensive. Seems like a matter of time before something gives, no?

PostPosted: Tue June 21, 2022 2:26 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

elliseamos wrote:
Quote:
One sign the Russian economy remains under severe pressure is that inflation in Russia is more than double the rate in the U.S. That's creating pressure for Russians to move their money out of the country, said Frankel of the Harvard Kennedy School.

Russian Central Bank can't loosen their policies or all this value disappears. But they can't keep things the way they are because it's too expensive. Seems like a matter of time before something gives, no?

I am not educated enough on this topic to respond, but here's some recent links that imply a different take:

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... ng-higher/

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-inflati ... gh-1714808

https://fortune.com/2022/06/18/stagflat ... el-prices/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 87  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate