The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 87  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ukraine
PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2023 10:20 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Crappier

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2023 10:47 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Crappier

Maybe they'll pull out the T-55s with Drozd APS and start killing their dismounted infantry in new and unique ways.

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2023 8:13 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Quote:
Israel recently approved the export licenses for the possible sale of anti-drone jamming systems that could help Ukraine counter Iranian drones used by Russia during the war, three Israeli and Ukrainian officials said.

It's the first time since Russia invaded Ukraine more than a year ago that Israel has approved defense export licenses for possible weapons sales to Ukraine.

What's changed? The China-brokered Iran/Saudi relations?

PostPosted: Fri March 17, 2023 2:32 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

elliseamos wrote:
Quote:
Israel recently approved the export licenses for the possible sale of anti-drone jamming systems that could help Ukraine counter Iranian drones used by Russia during the war, three Israeli and Ukrainian officials said.

It's the first time since Russia invaded Ukraine more than a year ago that Israel has approved defense export licenses for possible weapons sales to Ukraine.

What's changed? The China-brokered Iran/Saudi relations?

Maybe just to test Iran's ability to adapt their drones to resist electronic warfare?

Maybe acknowledging their legislative action to disregard the Israeli supreme court is not polling well among US Jews (with ties to Israel) and pretending to be a team player on the international stage to try to get kudos.

PostPosted: Fri March 17, 2023 2:38 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

If Ukraine has significant setbacks due to a lack of artillery shells the hesitancy to provide DPICM rounds will be to blame. Supposedly the US has more than 100,000 in storage, and they are getting close to their best used by date.

Neither the US nor Europe can ramp up production of conventional munitions nearly fast enough, nor do they seemingly have the will to sign the large contracts required to get defense contractors to invest in new tooling and factories.

Just transfer them quietly, ask the Ukrainians not to upload the footage of their use* and call it a day. *Someone appears to have donated some 120mm mortar cluster rounds that they uploaded footage of.

PostPosted: Fri March 17, 2023 2:47 am 
Mind Your Tanners

simple schoolboy wrote:
pretending to be a team player on the international stage to try to get kudos.

This was #2 on my list after the iran/Saudi idea.

PostPosted: Fri March 17, 2023 2:52 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

elliseamos wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
pretending to be a team player on the international stage to try to get kudos.

This was #2 on my list after the iran/Saudi idea.

The US hasn't really bothered competing in some of the areas where Israel does well in weapons sales. After their refusal to allow re-export for pretty basic anti tank missiles, they might have hurt their ability to sell this sort of stuff in the future. Who wants to buy 35mm anti aircraft rounds from Switzerland now, for example? Turkey will probably end up beating us to market in a lot of this, but anyone shown to be consistently pro NATO procurement wise can probably eat Israel's export lunch.

PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2023 6:51 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I heard we're spending more on this per month than Afghanistan. Is that true?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2023 6:53 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:

I love the explainers trying to 'fact check' the eye watering numbers involved. Don't worry Burt, we've merely authorized insane amounts of money, we haven't spent it all yet.

PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2023 9:54 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

So, no. "Not true."

PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2023 9:56 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

simple schoolboy wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

I love the explainers trying to 'fact check' the eye watering numbers involved. Don't worry Burt, we've merely authorized insane amounts of money, we haven't spent it all yet.

gotcha

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2023 10:51 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

fr this war’s gotta end or Ukraine start making their own shit bc we need our supply chain to prepare for China

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2023 11:18 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

96583UP wrote:
fr this war’s gotta end or Ukraine start making their own shit bc we need our supply chain to prepare for China

It sounds like they've been sending a lot of their tooling to nearby countries (ie Bulgaria) to set up production lines there. I don't think more than a dribble of shells are being produced at the moment, but they've supposedly got most tank and artillery calibers in production.

PostPosted: Sat March 25, 2023 2:26 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

simple schoolboy wrote:
96583UP wrote:

It sounds like they've been sending a lot of their tooling to nearby countries (ie Bulgaria) to set up production lines there. I don't think more than a dribble of shells are being produced at the moment, but they've supposedly got most tank and artillery calibers in production.

that's good to hear

also glad to see that russia is content to let wagner deplete in bakhmut without re-supply

as tempting as it would be to take that $300B of russian money held in the west, I actually don't think they should. people cite how people did it during WW2. that was not a limited war - this one is. I don't think it worth the risk of extreme escalation. not to mention the potential precedent it would set for international banking. western banks might lose all their hidden chinese money all of the sudden for fear it could be repossessed

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sat March 25, 2023 7:16 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Really hope Ukraine can get a spring offensive going, reclaim some taken land for the third time (Kharkiv and Kherson before).

PostPosted: Sun April 02, 2023 7:37 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

One year since the last Russian soldier left the Kyiv region.

PostPosted: Sat April 08, 2023 12:21 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

jesus christ, not good

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pentagon-says-it-is-reviewing-social-media-posts-that-purport-to-reveal-classified-documents-on-ukraine-4d7524f

Quote:
The Pentagon is investigating social-media posts that purport to reveal highly classified U.S. government documents on the war in Ukraine and other key international topics, in what could be one of the most dangerous intelligence breaches in decades.

Well over 100 images, marked with “Top Secret” and other classifications indicating they represent highly sensitive U.S.-produced intelligence, were posted in the Discord message board of fans of the Minecraft computer game around March 1. While many of them were deleted recently, open-source intelligence researchers have managed to download more than 60 files.

The documents, which appear to originate from within the U.S. military and intelligence agencies, include details about the disposition of Ukrainian forces, air defenses and military equipment, classified information about arms and support the U.S. has provided to Kyiv in its fight against Russian invaders, and intelligence on internal matters in a variety of nations, including Israel and South Korea.

The Pentagon on Friday referred to its statement from Thursday evening, when the first tranche of six leaked documents appeared online. “We are aware of the reports of social-media posts, and the department is reviewing the matter,” Pentagon deputy press secretary Sabrina Singh said.

A CIA spokesperson said the agency is aware of the social-media posts and is looking into the matter.

The Wall Street Journal wasn’t able to independently authenticate the documents, but they contain enough detail to give them credibility, and the leak has rattled Pentagon officials. This week, the U.S. has already changed how military personnel access such documents, defense officials said. But Pentagon officials have yet to determine how the documents appeared online or which military installation they could have come from, defense officials said.

Even before the scope of the disclosures emerged, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Friday that Kyiv would take fresh steps to prevent leaks about its planned spring offensive.

Mr. Zelensky said that he convened the country’s top military commanders and security officials on Friday to discuss the planned push to regain the 18% of Ukraine that remains occupied by Russia. The meeting, he added in a statement, also discussed new “measures to prevent leaks of information about the plans of Ukrainian defense forces.”

Aric Toler, head of research and training with the Bellingcat investigative consortium, said he found the cache of new documents on Friday, a day after at least six purported images of classified U.S. documents were published on the Telegram platform by pro-Kremlin war commentators. At least one of these images had been altered—to lower an estimate of Russian casualties and to inflate Ukrainian losses.

Those and some additional images had been posted on the 4chan messaging platform on Thursday.

Dozens of newly discovered images viewed by The Wall Street Journal contained highly valuable information for America’s adversaries, particularly Russia.

The documents, some of which appear to be briefing materials, outline details of the purported locations and operations of Ukraine’s air-defense systems, quantities of each type of air-defense missiles and sobering predictions of when Ukrainian forces would run out of each kind of munition.

Other documents contained detailed information on the schedules and routes of U.S. and allied reconnaissance aircraft in the Black Sea; the vulnerabilities of some of the American weapons provided to Ukraine; and the composition and armaments of the nine Ukrainian army brigades being trained by the U.S. and allies for the upcoming spring offensive. Russian jets forced a U.S. MQ-9 Reaper drone to crash into the Black Sea on March 14, two weeks after these files were posted.

In addition to documents pertaining to the war in Ukraine, the leaked files included purported copies of the daily intelligence report provided to Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Army Gen. Mark Milley, Central Intelligence Agency reports on leaders of Israel’s Mossad spy service, and intelligence on discussions within the government of South Korea on sales of artillery ammunition to Kyiv. Most of the documents are dated in February and appear to have been posted online shortly after their creation. Many contain details of future operations.

“If some guy on Minecraft Map Discord was able to find these and share them a few days after they first appeared on March 1, there is a pretty good chance that Russian intelligence was able to get a glance at them, too,” Mr. Toler said.

At the margins of some pages are printed markings common to top-secret documents, including the government agency that produced them and the level of classification. Documents include updates from the CIA’s Operations Center, as well as material from a host of other intelligence units.

Those include the Pentagon’s Defense Intelligence Agency; the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, which analyzes data from spy satellites; the eavesdropping National Security Agency; and the State Department’s Bureau of Intelligence and Research.

U.S. defense officials said they believe at least some of the images were leaks of documents produced by the Joint Chiefs of Staff, which is composed of top military commanders for each of the services and advises the president.

Gen. Milley was briefed Wednesday afternoon about the first batch of leaked documents to surface, as was Mr. Austin, the defense officials said, before the discovery of the latest suspected leaked documents.

The U.S. and its North Atlantic Treaty Organization partners have been training and equipping nine Ukrainian Army brigades with Western heavy weapons, including the Leopard-2 and Challenger tanks, and Stryker, Marder and Bradley fighting vehicles. Ukraine is separately training several other combat brigades, under the auspices of the army, the national guard, the border service and other security agencies.

The photographs that emerged online earlier this week appear to be of printed presentation slides and maps. Because classified documents can only be printed on approved systems, the U.S. government will likely have some record of who produced them, said Aram Gavoor, associate dean for academic affairs at George Washington University Law School and a national-security expert.

Documents receive a Top Secret designation when U.S. officials believe their disclosure could cause exceptionally grave damage to national security. “That means that the unauthorized release of these could lead to loss of life inside Ukraine,” said Mr. Gavoor. Many of these documents are marked NOFORN—meaning that they cannot be released even to America’s closest allies.

While both U.S. and Ukrainian officials were wary of sharing information with one another early in the war, fearing their plans might be compromised, mutual trust had improved in recent months. It is unclear to what extent this incident will sour exchanges between the two nations.

The war in Ukraine has led to a large volume of regularly updated classified documents that have been shared widely within the U.S. government.

“Keeping in mind that a great majority of classified documents are never leaked, the risk of a leak increases in an environment like this one where the United States is engaging in an unprecedented intelligence, advisory and logistics operation in support of Ukraine,” said Mr. Gavoor, the national-security expert at George Washington University Law School.

PostPosted: Sat April 08, 2023 1:03 am 
Mind Your Tanners

This is not good.

PostPosted: Sat April 08, 2023 1:39 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

like wtf

PostPosted: Sat April 08, 2023 2:14 am 

Could just as easily be purposely leaked fake info.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 87  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate