The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post subject: Re: The US Census / Citizenship Question
PostPosted: Tue August 17, 2021 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

simple schoolboy wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
It's a bad thing. But if this is how the game must be played, then played it shall be.
I'm going to be very curious to see if Dem-dominated states that have independent redistricting commissions push to get rid of them for this reason. California is the most prominent in that regard.
Ah yes, California's famously independent in name if not in deed redistricting comission.

Its a relatively new creature, well after single party rule was established. Its not what it pretends to be.
That's the other angle, keeping the commission but gutting its independence.

Here in Idaho it consists of 3 Republicans and 3 Democrats, but usually they deadlock and one of the Democrats caves after the GOP legislature starts to grumble. Still vastly preferable to said legislature gerrymandering the shit out of Boise.

Post subject: Re: Redistricting
PostPosted: Tue August 17, 2021 2:19 pm 
Production Police

Indie commission here, with a couple blues, a couple reds, and an independent chair. No real conflicts or animosity in years past, despite some of the members being former legislative firebrands. But we’re all curious to see how it goes now that MT gets a second seat.

PostPosted: Tue August 17, 2021 2:21 pm 
Site Admin

tragabigzanda wrote:
Indie commission here, with a couple blues, a couple reds, and an independent chair. No real conflicts or animosity in years past, despite some of the members being former legislative firebrands. But we’re all curious to see how it goes now that MT gets a second seat.
How do you think it gets divided? East/west, or something different?

PostPosted: Tue August 17, 2021 2:31 pm 
Production Police

It can’t be quite that clean, because of the five largest cities, only Billings is in the eastern part of the state. Maybe if they could make a huge eastern district that included a couple big reservations, the gas and mineral rich area around Glendive, then Billings, Bozeman and Helena, they’d at least have two districts that would be representative of both left and right interests to the extent that I think we’d have to see relatively moderate candidates from either party.

PostPosted: Tue August 17, 2021 3:54 pm 
Site Admin

tragabigzanda wrote:
It can’t be quite that clean, because of the five largest cities, only Billings is in the eastern part of the state. Maybe if they could make a huge eastern district that included a couple big reservations, the gas and mineral rich area around Glendive, then Billings, Bozeman and Helena, they’d at least have two districts that would be representative of both left and right interests to the extent that I think we’d have to see relatively moderate candidates from either party.
Yeah, by east/west I was thinking more "continental divide" than "right in the geographic midpoint on the X-axis".

PostPosted: Tue August 17, 2021 4:23 pm 
Production Police

Green Habit wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Yeah, by east/west I was thinking more "continental divide" than "right in the geographic midpoint on the X-axis".

:thumbsup: Yeah that's about what I'd imagine will happen. And I'd be suspicious of anything that didn't look like that.

Post subject: Re: The US Census / Citizenship Question
PostPosted: Wed September 15, 2021 1:02 am 
Site Admin

Green Habit wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
It's a bad thing. But if this is how the game must be played, then played it shall be.
I'm going to be very curious to see if Dem-dominated states that have independent redistricting commissions push to get rid of them for this reason. California is the most prominent in that regard.

BurtReynolds wrote:
Never unilaterally disarm.
We nailed it.

PostPosted: Mon October 25, 2021 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

I was going to make some snarky comment like "owning your state's own practices to own the libs", but according to 538, while there are more rock solid projected GOP seats in Texas, there's going to be a net gain of Dem-leaning seats. Guess the OG gerrymanderers of the 21st century have reached their limit.

PostPosted: Tue October 26, 2021 8:49 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

the proposed Illinois redistricting map is a gerrymandered joke. it also consolidates two congressional districts which will pit one of the few US House GOPers I respect (Adam Kinzinger) against an incumbent. the democrats in this state are a different kind of bad.

PostPosted: Wed October 27, 2021 12:56 am 
Site Admin

Chris_H_2 wrote:
the proposed Illinois redistricting map is a gerrymandered joke. it also consolidates two congressional districts which will pit one of the few US House GOPers I respect (Adam Kinzinger) against an incumbent. the democrats in this state are a different kind of bad.
As we've discussed in this thread, one of the worst things about Rucho v. Common Cause is that it creates a collective action problem where Democrats, after seeing what Republicans have done in other states, feel like they can't unilaterally disarm, and thus return serve on being aggressive with the map drawing.

PostPosted: Sun November 07, 2021 12:20 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Sat January 15, 2022 12:57 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Back to the drawing board in OH, opening the door for possibly two more likely Dem reps.

Retirement/not-running-for-reelection in NY could be another gain for Dems.
https://www.cookpolitical.com/analysis/ ... -moderates

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate