The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next

Do you accept fat people? Do you want them to change?
Yes 46%  46%  [ 11 ]
No 54%  54%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 24
 Post subject: Re: Fat Acceptance
PostPosted: Tue August 16, 2022 6:22 pm 
She / Her

I'll decide when I'm overstating my own case

PostPosted: Tue August 16, 2022 6:23 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Ms Harmless wrote:
"mutually exclusive" doesn't preclude the intersection of the two, sometimes; it means that even though the circles can cross, they are two different circles

No that's literally what mutually exclusive means.

PostPosted: Tue August 16, 2022 6:53 pm 
She / Her

it isn't

PostPosted: Tue August 16, 2022 6:54 pm 
She / Her

I can't wait for you to throw up a Google definition or a quote from one of your university papers proving me wrong

PostPosted: Tue August 16, 2022 6:57 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

What are facts, even?

PostPosted: Tue August 16, 2022 6:58 pm 
The Master

A quick Google search isn’t looking good for Ms H

PostPosted: Tue August 16, 2022 7:01 pm 
mXn

Back to my whale watching cruise … the port in Juneau has basically a “Front Street” that is pretty much all souvenir shops. They are open for the summer cruise season and then close for most of the rest of the year. A block away, the actual year-round city begins and operates on its own regardless of cruise tourists.

Anyway these souvenir shops were advertising t-shirts in size XXXXXL.

I don’t think I have ever seen that before. 5XL! That’s unbelievable, but they know their market.

Last edited by Bammer on Tue August 16, 2022 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue August 16, 2022 7:02 pm 
She / Her

being fat and unhealthy are like being fat and having brown hair

yes they can occur together, but it's never true (hence my "mutually exclusive") that they inherently cause each other, by definition; and that's what fat acceptance is about

you can be fat, you can be thin, you can have brown, black, blonde or blue hair, be 7 feet or two feet tall, but it's never true that any of these things *are the inherent cause* of ill health as a whole *or* that they will necessarily appear together

Last edited by Ms Harmless on Tue August 16, 2022 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue August 16, 2022 7:04 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

If you smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day, you may be as healthy as someone who doesn't (all else being equal), but odds are you aren't. Same applies to unhealthy food choices and lack of exercise.

PostPosted: Tue August 16, 2022 7:06 pm 
The Master

Bammer wrote:
Back to my whale watching cruise … the port in Juneau has basically a “Front Street” that is pretty much all souvenir shops. They are open for the summer cruise season and then close for most of the rest of the year. A block away, the actual year-round city begins and operates on its own regardless of cruise tourists.

Anyway these souvenir shops were advertising t-shirts in size XXXXXL.

I don’t think I have ever seen that before. 5XL! That’s unbelievable, but they know their market.

Mobility challenges and cruises are not mutually exclusive.

PostPosted: Tue August 16, 2022 7:10 pm 
She / Her

fat and unhealthy, the two genders

PostPosted: Tue August 16, 2022 7:10 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Is it reasonable to be considered healthy if you weigh 500 lbs.? I don't think so. But I also don't think fat "shaming" is ever appropriate. The same way you shouldn't point at and call a mentally handicapped person the "R" word. Which is what I think "fat acceptance" is really about; just being decent to each other.

PostPosted: Tue August 16, 2022 7:28 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Ms Harmless wrote:

yes they can occur together, but it's never true (hence my "mutually exclusive") that they inherently cause each other, by definition; and that's what fat acceptance is about

you can be fat, you can be thin, you can have brown, black, blonde or blue hair, be 7 feet or two feet tall, but it's never true that any of these things *are the inherent cause* of ill health as a whole *or* that they will necessarily appear together

That is not what mutually exclusive means.

PostPosted: Tue August 16, 2022 7:35 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Just found this from the website Google.com

Quote:
How to find if two events are mutually exclusive? If two events are mutually exclusive then the probability of both the events occurring at the same time is equal to zero.

But Ms. Harmless has a history of kinda making up her own definitions, so... probably doesn't apply here

PostPosted: Tue August 16, 2022 7:48 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I'm glad Bill Maher is able to partake of all his vices with moderation, but his take on obesity is overgeneralized, uncaring, and shaming. Even though his facts about the risks of obesity are correct, he offers no solutions for individuals or society to deal with it.

I'm shocked that the news and popular media, which depend on the money of fat people as much as or more than other people, aren't particular judgmental of the obese, I assure you, doctors are. Keep supporting free and low-cost healthcare, and people will go to their doctors and get help losing weight if they need to (or get regular check ups if they don't).

Maher has the money, time, and lack of familial attachments to dedicate to his personal health in ways that most Americans do not, so his opinions on how much I need to lose weight are pointless, and he can shove them up his ass.

PostPosted: Tue August 16, 2022 7:50 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

B wrote:
I'm glad Bill Maher is able to partake of all his vices with moderation, but his take on obesity is overgeneralized, uncaring, and shaming. Even though his facts about the risks of obesity are correct, he offers no solutions for individuals or society to deal with it.

I'm shocked that the news and popular media, which depend on the money of fat people as much as or more than other people, aren't particular judgmental of the obese, I assure you, doctors are. Keep supporting free and low-cost healthcare, and people will go to their doctors and get help losing weight if they need to (or get regular check ups if they don't).

Maher has the money, time, and lack of familial attachments to dedicate to his personal health in ways that most Americans do not, so his opinions on how much I need to lose weight are pointless, and he can shove them up his ass.

+1

PostPosted: Tue August 16, 2022 7:53 pm 
She / Her

Mickey wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

That is not what mutually exclusive means.

"people are fat"

"people are unhealthy"

these statements mean two different things and are not inherently contingent on each other

that was my point, stop being a fucking jerk

PostPosted: Tue August 16, 2022 7:58 pm 
She / Her

the mutual exclusivity of these statements is relevant when we are talking about a collective "people in general", if not on particular individual circumstances, where an infinite number of evidences of ill health could be at play

PostPosted: Tue August 16, 2022 8:03 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Are you saying that being obese has no bearing on one's health?

PostPosted: Tue August 16, 2022 8:12 pm 
She / Her

I don't know how to say what I've already said multiple times, again, but in a way that might let it finally stand as a valid opinion, among different ones, on this forum

what is obese? doctors have called me obese at 12 fucking stone because I'm in a wheelchair

my 12 stone-ness is no necessary indicator of my health, that's a fact, inherently and always

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate