The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

Do you accept fat people? Do you want them to change?
Yes 46%  46%  [ 11 ]
No 54%  54%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 24
 Post subject: Re: Fat Acceptance
PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2023 6:23 pm 
She / Her

no, I think you're pig ignorant of what the world is actually like

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2023 6:26 pm 
10Club Complaint Department
 WWW  Profile

Are you saying people are demanding, on a massive scale, that people who are unable to exercise (or control their diet) should do so of their own volition in order to be healthier and happier? Cause if so, clearly I'm against this and I don't see why you are attacking me. I'm not a bad person. The science is out there for all to access, and anyone who treats disabled people this way is ignorant or evil.

Or are you talking about something else? It is certainly highly likely I have no idea what the world is like for you. I don't know your experience.

Last edited by tree_ on November 7, 1984, 9:05 am, edited 39 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2023 6:44 pm 
 WWW  Profile

but maybe you're just saying some people are mean, and yeah, that's just the way it is, but they'll be mean about everything.. i thought we were talking about the bigger picture here

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2023 7:36 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Ms Harmless wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
It's pretty clear that kids didn't suddenly and magically start being predisposed to being fat

no, many of the same kids always were

They were just normal people well adapted to an environment who now find themselves in a new environment that those adaptations are not suited for.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2023 10:18 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tree_ wrote:
i hope nobody is telling disabled people they need to exercise in order to be healthier

Some folks are: https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/disabilityan ... r-all.html

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2023 10:38 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Well yeah sure I mean if you are unable to exercise is what I meant. But even still people must realize how much more difficult it is for some people. Even people without any physical hindrances often struggle to get into a healthy exercise routine or lifestyle. Sympathy and kindness is super important. There’s always a reason why someone is unhealthy. I don’t think anybody actually wants to be unhealthy. the claim that obesity is not a high risk Factor For various chronic health problems is false. Being a good person and being a person who believes the science are not mutually exclusive.

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 11:21 am 
The Master

BurtReynolds wrote:
It's pretty clear that kids didn't suddenly and magically start being predisposed to being fat, but in fact the conditions they find themselves in have changed, be it social, material, etc.

The real question is: if conditions have changed, and they can't be changed back, what should we do? Obviously, healthy habits and appeals to better parenting are failing against the onslaught of modernity.

Possible solution: burn down your local McDonald's.

aren't you fat?

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 12:06 pm 
Major Dude

spike wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
It's pretty clear that kids didn't suddenly and magically start being predisposed to being fat, but in fact the conditions they find themselves in have changed, be it social, material, etc.

The real question is: if conditions have changed, and they can't be changed back, what should we do? Obviously, healthy habits and appeals to better parenting are failing against the onslaught of modernity.

Possible solution: burn down your local McDonald's.

aren't you fat?

He’s not fat, he’s big boned!

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 12:32 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Dad bod x100

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 1:02 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tree_ wrote:
Well yeah sure I mean if you are unable to exercise is what I meant. But even still people must realize how much more difficult it is for some people. Even people without any physical hindrances often struggle to get into a healthy exercise routine or lifestyle. Sympathy and kindness is super important. There’s always a reason why someone is unhealthy. I don’t think anybody actually wants to be unhealthy. the claim that obesity is not a high risk Factor For various chronic health problems is false. Being a good person and being a person who believes the science are not mutually exclusive.

I understood and totally agree. It's absurd to reduce policy to "it works for everyone or it doesn't work".

My thing is that pediatricians should not but pushing drugs and surgery for obese kids when there are known-good alternatives that are safe and free. It's another life time of chemical dependency (and pharma profit!) that will just lead to different problems in the future which we will need another drug for... and another... and so on, but worse it feeds a narrative of helplessness and an abdication of personal responsibility for health. Again, there are folks who for a variety of reasons and no fault of their own are unable to act in this area, but they should be the exception not the baseline.

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 1:42 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Agreed

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 2:22 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

If my doctor offered me a pill that didn't make me shit the bed, I'd take it.

As for kids, of course you should try to get them exercising and eating right, but if you've given that advice, and the family doesn't take it, and the kids showing signs of pre-diabetes or other chronic diseases, what doctor would give that kid a drug? Are they just supposed to watch the kid enter a life of chronic illness, all the while wagging their finger, "I told you that exercise and healthy eating are the cornerstone of a happy life."

Everyone would love a drug-free solution, but should we demonize drugs because some people will use it as a shortcut? Or fat kids with no signs of chronic illness might take it to look good?

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 2:54 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Drugs are only tools, neither good nor bad. Humans misprescribing them should be demonized.

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 3:21 pm 

B wrote:
but should we demonize drugs because some people will use it as a shortcut? Or fat kids with no signs of chronic illness might take it to look good?

Who cares about it being a shortcut? People are completely missing the point of concern.

People should be wary of these drugs because drug companies spend tens of billions convincing people that these drugs are needed, that alternatives or preventative measures are hopeless, and that people who voice concerns about this are "demonizing drugs". They work with governments to make use of their drugs systemic. And that's just the above board chicanery they are up to.

The drugs they push for various societal ills aren't cures or preventative measures, but drugs for chronic, ongoing conditions. They aren't designed to solve the problem or cure the disease, but to treat the symptoms, and thus increase their profits and create a consistent, permanent income stream. They also have the result of lessening people's desire to fix the actual problems that are causing the various epidemics in the first place.

This should make you wary about drug companies. This should make you skeptical when you hear that they want to put kids on drugs.

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 3:27 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I'm sure that happens, Burt, but how often? Do you have evidence?

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 3:28 pm 

tree_ wrote:

Watch any commercial break on your television.

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 3:31 pm 
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Watch any commercial break on your television.

Yeah, sure, drugs aren't perfect and they have lots of potential side effects. But maybe it's the best we can do right now? I do think it's crazy that the funding exists for these long-ass stupid commercials, though. Like how many people even actually have the ailments for which these very specific medications are intended? But I don't think that's sufficient enough evidence for all your claims.

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 3:40 pm 

Maybe drugs are the best we can do right now, or maybe they aren't. In my first post, I said I didn't know that answer. What is known is that there are massive amounts of money being spent by incredibly powerful people to push one of those sides for self interested reasons, and that should make you skeptical. These aren't disinterested parties.

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 3:42 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Healthy skepticism is warranted, indeed.

PostPosted: Thu January 12, 2023 6:19 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

The obesity rate in Japan is 4.3%. Maybe we should all be eating fish and soy beans for breakfast. How come I'm told if I have a tuna fish sandwich twice a week I'm going to get mercury poisoning meanwhile Japan eats fish three meals a day and they are fine? I like tuna guys. I want more of it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate