The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: George Zimmerman found not guilty
PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 12:12 am 
Future Drummer

Last edited by --- on Mon January 11, 2021 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 12:25 am 
Future Drummer

Last edited by --- on Mon January 11, 2021 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 12:28 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

--- wrote:
harmless wrote:
I've been liking the concept of micro-aggression lately, as it speaks to a lot of what I've experienced when trying to put my own views across to an able-bodied audience:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microaggression

Wow. What obscurantist BS.

By that definition I'm microaggressive to all humans.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 12:28 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Yeah, that's some absolutely incredible bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 12:31 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Czech your privilege, folks.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 12:36 am 
AnalLog

theplatypus wrote:
Czech your privilege, folks.

That's some dark humor.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 12:36 am 
post-structuralist

--- wrote:
harmless wrote:
I've been liking the concept of micro-aggression lately, as it speaks to a lot of what I've experienced when trying to put my own views across to an able-bodied audience:

Birds in Hell wrote:
Yeah, that's some absolutely incredible bullshit.

pls elaborate

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 12:43 am 
post-structuralist

RisingTides wrote:
malice wrote:
does it help to know I have an older cousin who was a cop for close to thirty years (he's retired now) who told me once that cops and criminals are of the same psychological/sociological make-up and the only real difference between them is a badge?

also, this was very good and makes me want to rethink my position on watching this show, but I am sad somehow that it isn't a scene from Copper :(

people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 12:48 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

malice wrote:
RisingTides wrote:
malice wrote:
does it help to know I have an older cousin who was a cop for close to thirty years (he's retired now) who told me once that cops and criminals are of the same psychological/sociological make-up and the only real difference between them is a badge?

also, this was very good and makes me want to rethink my position on watching this show, but I am sad somehow that it isn't a scene from Copper :(

What's copper?

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 12:54 am 
post-structuralist

RisingTides wrote:
malice wrote:
RisingTides wrote:
malice wrote:

What's copper?

pennies, but not so much anymore. why do you ask?

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 12:56 am 
A Return To Form

--- wrote:
I was fascinated by this "microaggression" concept and found this: http://www.microaggressions.com/

Quote:
This morning, the Today show did a segment on foods from around the world. They highlighted one specific food item from each place.

Some of the places named: India, Scotland, and Africa.

I hope I’m not the only one who finds this problematic.

Quote:
My MCAT instructor keeps referring to the writer of our passages with male pronouns when they do not list an author by name. Made me feel stupid/unvalued… like if our instructor doesn’t think women are smart enough to help write the MCAT, the most certainly aren’t smart enough to be doctors.

Quote:
I noticed that when I eat out and order a Coke, I’m often asked whether I want it to be a diet Coke. I asked some male friends about this and they told me it never happens to them.

Quote:
When helping my brother unload a truck recently, the men always insisted on carrying the larger items (which I was capable of carrying myself, mind you) and handed me smaller items. Carrying the larger items is apparently more appropriately mens’ work. Even though they are just being considerate, they are making assumptions with no reasonable basis.

Quote:
I go to a McDonalds for lunch break, alone. I sit down at an empty table next to an elderly man, who immediately comments, “What a pretty little thing, I wonder if she’s waiting for her man to come along.” Made me feel like my only purpose is to be some man’s ornament.

It blows me away that this is a thing.

:haha:
Yeah, I did a quick wiki search on this earlier and decided that it wasn't even remotely worth responding to.

-Cpt. Murphy

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 1:05 am 
Rank This Poster

clavian wrote:
I think you are kind of missing my point, but that's fine.

In cases of actual abuse, I would absolutely agree that those situations need to be addressed. The people that are the root cause of those abuses should be fired, as should the people that do their bidding. There is no excuse for that, and I've never suggested that any of that sort of shit should be swept under the rug because "most police are nice and hardworking".

And I'm sorry about your situation in the UK. I was not aware that was going on (hell, I didn't even realize you were from the UK). We're clearly having this discussion from very different places.

oh def yeah.. in some cases its warranted, but in others its not.. but the media loves dividing us so itll be used anytime 2 people of a different race have a problem, regardless if race has anything to do with it

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 1:22 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I Fucking hate people. Seriously.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 1:29 am 

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I Fucking hate people. Seriously.

Macroaggression.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 9:37 am 

--- wrote:
harmless wrote:

Um... it depends who you are I suppose.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 9:39 am 

So we all think this micro-aggression thing is 'obscurantist bullshit', huh? Awesome, nice to know.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 1:19 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

harmless wrote:
So we all think this micro-aggression thing is 'obscurantist bullshit', huh? Awesome, nice to know.

If it makes you feel any better, it's not uncommon for able-bodied straight white guys of the first world to think that way.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 1:27 pm 

theplatypus wrote:
harmless wrote:

If it makes you feel any better, it's not uncommon for able-bodied straight white guys of the first world to think that way.

I'm assuming this isn't meant ironically and agreeing; it's becoming more and more prevalent and clear to me. I didn't even know all this was a thing until a couple of years ago. Anyway, I generally come onto this forum to just fuck around as it's kind of my 'safe place' away from all the bullshit. So maybe I'll leave this to the ones who can debate this in a detached way and just go and talk about Pearl Jam sucking. :bammer:

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 1:42 pm 
Future Drummer

theplatypus wrote:
harmless wrote:

Yeah. It's almost like they have had a different upbringing and cultural experience that was completely out of their control (just like our victims here).

Quote:
Sitting in a library at school, I hear an African American student laughing a little loudly… followed by a white student saying, “Yo Shaq, shut up!”

I am totally going to use this.

And how did we diverge into this pointless topic?

Last edited by broken iris on Thu August 01, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 2:06 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Yup. It's hard to peer outside the walls of your own reality. The immediate response upon being confronted with one's own privilege tends to be bemused defensiveness (the "pfffttt how is THAT offensive?!?" effect), but in general I think it's better to call the dogs off, dispense with the indignant scoffing and let go of the illusion of objectivity to actually reflect on what is being said from a place of empathy. Microaggressions are a real thing, even if that website is littered with silly examples. They are not perceived/experienced by all groups of people, but we should know better than to think that means they don't exist.

We've gone pretty off-topic from the Zimmerman thing, by the way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate