The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coronavirus Government Bailout Thread
PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2021 12:39 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
Why do they always feel the need to mention that couples get double the amount? Who cares?

Mormon families get $4200+!

PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2021 4:55 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

It'd be cool to see the Democrats have 2 bills ready to go.

Vote on one that is $1,400 to everyone up to $50,000 income. If no Republicans vote on it, than Harris comes in and votes it down.

Then you vote on $2,000 to everyone up to $100,000 income. It passes 51-50, and "Fuck you, Republicans. You had your chance to meet us in the middle."

That would never happen, b/c the Democrats aren't cool enough.

PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2021 5:10 pm 
See you in another life, brother

elliseamos wrote:
96583UP wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
96583UP wrote:
this is fucking hilarious. after all that posturing to lower the limit. politicians. never trust a word

Quote:
Democrats Cut Off Relief Checks at $200,000 Household Income

House Democrats are proposing to limit the next round of Covid-19 relief payments to households earning less than $200,000, after criticism that President Joe Biden’s $1.9 trillion stimulus package would benefit the rich.

Draft legislation released Monday by the House Ways and Means Committee calls for $1,400 payments for single people earning $75,000 or married couples earning $150,000. The checks completely phase out for individuals making $100,000 or joint taxpayers making $200,000.

The payments scale down more quickly than previous rounds, where the top levels were determined by the size of the payment and the number of children in the household.

The income caps and phase-out formulas are likely to be subject to continuing debate as Democrats seek to move the stimulus legislation through the House and Senate -- where they have narrow margins to pass legislation without Republicans.

The text makes clear that House Democratic leaders are rejecting a push by some moderate Democrats to lower the threshold at which payments begin phasing out at $50,000 for an individual and $100,000 per couple.

Senator Joe Manchin, a West Virginia Democrat, has been pushing for lower income caps to qualify for the payments. Manchin told reporters on Monday that he wants to make sure that there is a “hard stop” so people making $250,000 or $300,000 don’t get payments and that the money is directed to people who are “truly in need.”

Senators Bernie Sanders, a Vermont independent who caucuses with the Democrats, and Ron Wyden of Oregon have pushed for more inclusive thresholds.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-09/democrats-cut-off-relief-checks-at-200-000-household-income?srnd=premium
Do you actually care? Just move on already, get to Infrastructure Week!

I care! I want the Blues to hold strong through the midterms!! If we pick up 60 in the Senate then we can get transformational change! Let the GOP cannibalize themselves until then - but DON'T ALIENATE VOTERS by shutting a chunk of them out of checks they received under trump just to save $65 B when Trillions are being spent! Think of the GA runoffs and how close they were! Don't alienate anyone! Send them more checks! Bigger checks! Everyone gets a check!
I see. And that sounds good to me, too. I read your post to mean they should send out fewer, smaller checks.

Hooray for not even trying to hide the fact that they're attempting to buy political support.

PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2021 5:18 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

96583UP wrote:
this is fucking hilarious. after all that posturing to lower the limit. politicians. never trust a word

Democrats are like if Superman preceded every civilian save by going on television for an hour and debating himself about whether or not he should do it. It’s a constant exercise in “how can I do the right thing while also presenting myself as opposing doing the right thing?”

PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2021 6:07 pm 
See you in another life, brother

McParadigm wrote:
96583UP wrote:

Democrats are like if Superman preceded every civilian save by going on television for an hour and debating himself about whether or not he should do it. It’s a constant exercise in “how can I do the right thing while also presenting myself as opposing doing the right thing?”

When you say "right thing" do you mean that making sure people earning $50,001-75,000 is the right policy? And if so why? Or do you mean it's the right thing because it's better for Democrats politically to include more people in this bill?

PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2021 6:10 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

4/5 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
96583UP wrote:

When you say "right thing" do you mean that making sure people earning $50,001-75,000 is the right policy? And if so why? Or do you mean it's the right thing because it's better for Democrats politically to include more people in this bill?

I think he worded his answer in a way that specifically avoids demonstrating an opinion on the actual bill.

PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2021 6:15 pm 
Gone

https://youtu.be/pP7BmI84Qh0

PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2021 6:29 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

4/5 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
96583UP wrote:

When I say “the right thing“ I mean “the thing that they perceive to be right.”

PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2021 8:01 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Rubio could give a shit about the last bailout, but now he's anxious to get back to work so that the American people can get help!!

PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2021 10:18 pm 
Future Drummer

I guess they've never heard of "multi-tasking".

PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2021 10:19 pm 
Production Police

blueviper wrote:
I guess they've never heard of "multi-tasking".

yeah i was thinking maybe Rubio's staff just sucks at their job

PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2021 10:25 pm 
Gone

Whenever someone says something like this the other side will 100% of the time always respond that they can "walk and chew gum at the same time".

PostPosted: Wed February 10, 2021 4:21 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

surfndestroy wrote:
96583UP wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
96583UP wrote:

Quote:
Democrats Cut Off Relief Checks at $200,000 Household Income

House Democrats are proposing to limit the next round of Covid-19 relief payments to households earning less than $200,000, after criticism that President Joe Biden’s $1.9 trillion stimulus package would benefit the rich.

Draft legislation released Monday by the House Ways and Means Committee calls for $1,400 payments for single people earning $75,000 or married couples earning $150,000. The checks completely phase out for individuals making $100,000 or joint taxpayers making $200,000.

The payments scale down more quickly than previous rounds, where the top levels were determined by the size of the payment and the number of children in the household.

The income caps and phase-out formulas are likely to be subject to continuing debate as Democrats seek to move the stimulus legislation through the House and Senate -- where they have narrow margins to pass legislation without Republicans.

The text makes clear that House Democratic leaders are rejecting a push by some moderate Democrats to lower the threshold at which payments begin phasing out at $50,000 for an individual and $100,000 per couple.

Senator Joe Manchin, a West Virginia Democrat, has been pushing for lower income caps to qualify for the payments. Manchin told reporters on Monday that he wants to make sure that there is a “hard stop” so people making $250,000 or $300,000 don’t get payments and that the money is directed to people who are “truly in need.”

Senators Bernie Sanders, a Vermont independent who caucuses with the Democrats, and Ron Wyden of Oregon have pushed for more inclusive thresholds.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-09/democrats-cut-off-relief-checks-at-200-000-household-income?srnd=premium
Do you actually care? Just move on already, get to Infrastructure Week!

I care! I want the Blues to hold strong through the midterms!! If we pick up 60 in the Senate then we can get transformational change! Let the GOP cannibalize themselves until then - but DON'T ALIENATE VOTERS by shutting a chunk of them out of checks they received under trump just to save $65 B when Trillions are being spent! Think of the GA runoffs and how close they were! Don't alienate anyone! Send them more checks! Bigger checks! Everyone gets a check!
Your goal is not good governance but my team right or wrong. Seems a whole lot like how the other side views things.

my goal is good governance because the modern GOP are incompetent

Quote:
In early 2006, the Bush/Cheney administration needed to choose a new chairman of the Federal Reserve to succeed Alan Greenspan. Naturally, the Republican White House turned to a like-minded figure and nominated Ben Bernanke, the former head of George W. Bush's Council of Economic Advisors.

Nearly a decade later, Bernanke's tenure at the Fed is over -- and so is his association with the Republican Party.

The piece published by Quartz quotes excerpts from Bernanke's book, in which the author explained his disappointment with the GOP. "I tried to listen carefully and accept thoughtful criticisms," Bernanke wrote. "But it seemed to me that the crisis had helped to radicalize large parts of the Republican Party."

Though Bernanke isn't ready to side with Democrats, he no longer associates with his former party. He “lost patience with Republicans’ susceptibility to the know-nothing-ism of the far right. I didn’t leave the Republican Party. I felt that the party left me.”

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/bushs-fed-chairman-gives-the-gop-msna698076

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed February 10, 2021 4:56 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

PostPosted: Sat February 13, 2021 9:37 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2021 5:22 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

The rotten edifice should get kicked in, but we're just going to kick the can down the road.

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2021 5:44 am 
Gone

Do Illinois next Joe!!!

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 3:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

In case you missed it: Ron Johnson tried to hold up the relief bill by insisting on a full reading by senate staff yesterday. It took 12 hours.

By the time it was over all Republicans (including him) had gone home for the night, so none were on hand to object when Chris Van Hollen proposed shortening the debate period by 17 hours. The proposal passed.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 7:47 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

McParadigm wrote:
In case you missed it: Ron Johnson tried to hold up the relief bill by insisting on a full reading by senate staff yesterday. It took 12 hours.

By the time it was over all Republicans (including him) had gone home for the night, so none were on hand to object when Chris Van Hollen proposed shortening the debate period by 17 hours. The proposal passed.
And yet he and most of those that agree with this strategy will all get re-elected.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 8:13 pm 
Gone

elliseamos wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

And yet he and most of those that agree with this strategy will all get re-elected.

R voters will eat their own shit if it means making the libs smell their breath.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate