The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 126  Next
 Post subject: Re: Transgender Rights
PostPosted: Thu August 04, 2022 11:22 pm 
Future Drummer

Where the fuck is _tree when you need him.

PostPosted: Thu August 04, 2022 11:45 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

As a rule I simply do not care about the participation trophies handed out to future McKinsey analysts. And more broadly, any real harm you could point to with (hypothetical, at this point) trans women "dominating" college sports (not something that has happened) is a subordinate problem to the larger issue of college access and upward mobility in America. So I think making sports the focal point of this debate is a mug's game, and one I'm not interested in playing. I don't think that's incompatible with being concerned about how to best institute trans inclusion more broadly. At all stages, though, the question should not be "Should we include trans people?" (obviously yes) but "How can we best restructure society to include trans people?"

PostPosted: Fri August 05, 2022 2:32 am 
Future Drummer

Mickey wrote:
As a rule I simply do not care about the participation trophies handed out to future McKinsey analysts. And more broadly, any real harm you could point to with (hypothetical, at this point) trans women "dominating" college sports (not something that has happened) is a subordinate problem to the larger issue of college access and upward mobility in America. So I think making sports the focal point of this debate is a mug's game, and one I'm not interested in playing. I don't think that's incompatible with being concerned about how to best institute trans inclusion more broadly. At all stages, though, the question should not be "Should we include trans people?" (obviously yes) but "How can we best restructure society to include trans people?"

This is a really smart answer that I’m not sure goes anywhere. Who are you talking to here (besides me, obv)? That swimmer story didn’t interest me but it was all over the place for quite a bit. It’s not the first story like that. I know you understand that sports are a fucking huge deal in America, whether they are to you or not.

PostPosted: Fri August 05, 2022 2:40 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Yeah I'm literally only talking to you

PostPosted: Fri August 05, 2022 2:41 am 
Mind Your Tanners

N&D is broadly populated by ghouls and morons, I have no interest in talking trans rights with any of them.

PostPosted: Fri August 05, 2022 2:44 am 
Future Drummer

Well, someone is going to have to come up with a good reason for why that swimmer should have been there. I didn’t touch this debate when it was happening because… so many bad takes. But it’s a canary in the coal mine. The “T” in lgbt present a unique set of challenges.

PostPosted: Fri August 05, 2022 2:45 am 
Future Drummer

Mickey wrote:
N&D is broadly populated by ghouls and morons, I have no interest in talking trans rights with any of them.

Love you bro. Never change.

PostPosted: Fri August 05, 2022 3:26 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
Homeschool your kids.

You've literally become a Hutterite lol

PostPosted: Fri August 05, 2022 11:32 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

What would you guys say is the bigger problem here, people who transitioned regreting it and committing suicide, or trans people winning all of the sports competitions?

PostPosted: Sat August 06, 2022 2:01 am 
Future Drummer

That feels like a trick question. They are both things to discuss, along with the people who don’t transition and regret it.

PostPosted: Sat August 06, 2022 1:48 pm 
mXn

Rob wrote:
That feels like a trick question. They are both things to discuss, along with the people who don’t transition and regret it.

Yep but I’m still waiting for someone to answer my question from a while back: In high school why did they allow girls to wrestle on the boys team but wouldn’t let boys play volleyball on the girls team?

PostPosted: Sat August 06, 2022 2:00 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Dev wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Homeschool your kids.

A happy, thriving people? How terrible!

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat August 06, 2022 3:49 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bammer wrote:
Rob wrote:

Yep but I’m still waiting for someone to answer my question from a while back: In high school why did they allow girls to wrestle on the boys team but wouldn’t let boys play volleyball on the girls team?

Wait up - are you telling me if I was at your high school and on the wrestling team I could have wrestled against girls?? Woah. Sign me up for a whole heap of very happy losses!

PostPosted: Sat August 06, 2022 3:50 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Now I have a second to consider it, probs not the perfect thread for my little fantasy post there. Oh well.

PostPosted: Sat August 06, 2022 7:21 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
Dev wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Homeschool your kids.

lol I think the problem is you have literally no idea what you're talking about. Isolating your children from society is deplorable. They don't exactly let you come and go as you please. Obviously they have plenty of their own issues sometimes including human rights violations. The new right wing homeschool your kids thing is another new low point with you guys. "Thriving"

PostPosted: Sat August 06, 2022 7:39 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Dev wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Dev wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Homeschool your kids.

lol I think the problem is you have literally no idea what you're talking about. Isolating your children from society is deplorable. They don't exactly let you come and go as you please. Obviously they have plenty of their own issues sometimes including human rights violations. The new right wing homeschool your kids thing is another new low point with you guys. "Thriving"

You live in an igloo. Do not talk to me about society, Canadian.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat August 06, 2022 8:14 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
Dev wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Dev wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Homeschool your kids.

You live in an igloo. Do not talk to me about society, Canadian.

I have been on a Hutterite colony. Have you? I do an unreal Hutterite impersonation.

PostPosted: Sat August 06, 2022 8:24 pm 

Salt of the earth.

PostPosted: Sat August 06, 2022 8:56 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Rob wrote:
Well, someone is going to have to come up with a good reason for why that swimmer should have been there. I didn’t touch this debate when it was happening because… so many bad takes. But it’s a canary in the coal mine. The “T” in lgbt present a unique set of challenges.

Because there are already all types of women. We're so worried about trans women competing in sports they've blocked Sydney McLaughlin from competing in events. If you ban trans women, how do you treat women born XY with internal testes who were raised as women? Or women with unusually high testosterone? We made up the concept of gender, so we can unmake it.

Maybe in the future utopia where trans women are so well accepted into society that we've welcomed them into all women's sports, and they've cornered all of the records, we could probably revisit our decision.

PostPosted: Sat August 06, 2022 9:02 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Dev wrote:
What would you guys say is the bigger problem here, people who transitioned regreting it and committing suicide, or trans people winning all of the sports competitions?

Do we suspect that a person who transitioned from one gender to the other is so unable to imagine transitioning back that they'd commit suicide? Maybe in a world where people are so transphobic that they accuse them of just switching gender willy-nilly to gain advantage.

The solution isn't to block trans kids from transitioning. The solution to openly discuss gender and support people who are questioning their gender in the fullest way possible.

Should we lop off the dicks of 6 year olds who like to wear dresses? No, but that was really only a problem in one anecdotal story and Bi's nightmares in the first place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 126  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate