The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2513 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 126  Next
 Post subject: Re: Transgender Rights
PostPosted: Thu June 10, 2021 2:26 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

I'm suprised the union wasn't more active in getting him forced out. Maybe they'll demand some language about transphobia in their next contract.

PostPosted: Thu June 10, 2021 2:30 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

simple schoolboy wrote:
I'm suprised the union wasn't more active in getting him forced out. Maybe they'll demand some language about transphobia in their next contract.

That's the opposite of what unions do

PostPosted: Thu June 10, 2021 2:33 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

B wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

That's the opposite of what unions do

Its what the NYT union does, I figure it'll trickle down to the teacher's union at some point.

PostPosted: Thu June 10, 2021 2:42 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

It’s really not worth getting worked up over. He’s just a person doing what he thinks is right, surrounded by a sea of change.

He’s wrong, but he’s not the problem.

PostPosted: Thu June 10, 2021 3:04 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Assuming most are unfamiliar with DMV area politics, so a bit of background:

https://www.loudountimes.com/news/teach ... dd342.html

You know it’s getting progressive in there when school board members are organizing with activists in secret Facebook groups to create enemies lists and activists are openly calling for the silencing of opponents and firing of teachers.

This particular dummy just decided to martyr himself

PostPosted: Thu June 10, 2021 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

B wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
With the teacher having the right to do that, students should also have the right to not attend his classes.

They should be free to call him Mr. Dickface.
But first they gotta do this:

PostPosted: Fri June 11, 2021 12:26 am 
Future Drummer

McParadigm wrote:
It’s really not worth getting worked up over. He’s just a person doing what he thinks is right, surrounded by a sea of change.

He’s wrong, but he’s not the problem.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat June 12, 2021 2:55 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bi_3 wrote:

You know it’s getting progressive in there when school board members are organizing with activists in secret Facebook groups to create enemies lists and activists are openly calling for the silencing of opponents and firing of teachers.

Does anyone else know what "DMV" means in this context?

PostPosted: Sat June 12, 2021 11:54 am 
Looks Like a Cat

simple schoolboy wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

DC-Maryland-Virginia, increasingly the only place in the US that actually matters.

PostPosted: Sat June 12, 2021 4:53 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bi_3 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

DC-Maryland-Virginia, increasingly the only place in the US that actually matters.

Ah, Federal employees and contractors land.

Edit:

If its the only place that matters in the US, shouldn't we be more familiar with your newly invented acronyms?

PostPosted: Mon June 14, 2021 1:15 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Truly this is clown world

PostPosted: Fri June 18, 2021 11:45 pm 
Site Admin

We going to see Masterpiece Cakeshop II at SCOTUS a couple years from now?

PostPosted: Sun June 20, 2021 6:39 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tavistock-gender-clinic-converting-gay-children-tz8cs77p3

[url]

A gay psychologist who worked at the NHS’s only gender transition clinic for children spoke of his fears that the clinic was running “conversion therapy for gay kids”.

Dr Matt Bristow said he feared the Tavistock and Portman NHS trust was ignoring the possibility that boys and girls who said they wanted to change sex might simply be gay.

Bristow’s claim has emerged in witness statements for Sonia Appleby, a psychotherapist responsible for safeguarding children at the gender identity clinic, who is suing the trust.

She told an employment tribunal last week she was “vilified” for raising concerns about the safety of children undergoing treatment, which included the clinic referring children as young as 12 for puberty blocking drugs.

[/url]

I can see where this could be argued as anti-trans, but it never occurred to me these treatments could be viewed as "a boy who likes boys being medically transitioned to a girl who likes boys is 'transing the gay away' ".

PostPosted: Mon June 21, 2021 1:04 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

So, what did the tribunal find? Were they transitioning gay kids or not?

PostPosted: Mon June 21, 2021 1:50 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bi_3 wrote:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tavistock-gender-clinic-converting-gay-children-tz8cs77p3

[url]

A gay psychologist who worked at the NHS’s only gender transition clinic for children spoke of his fears that the clinic was running “conversion therapy for gay kids”.

Dr Matt Bristow said he feared the Tavistock and Portman NHS trust was ignoring the possibility that boys and girls who said they wanted to change sex might simply be gay.

Bristow’s claim has emerged in witness statements for Sonia Appleby, a psychotherapist responsible for safeguarding children at the gender identity clinic, who is suing the trust.

She told an employment tribunal last week she was “vilified” for raising concerns about the safety of children undergoing treatment, which included the clinic referring children as young as 12 for puberty blocking drugs.

[/url]

I can see where this could be argued as anti-trans, but it never occurred to me these treatments could be viewed as "a boy who likes boys being medically transitioned to a girl who likes boys is 'transing the gay away' ".

This is what they do in Iran. You can be trans but you can't be gay.

PostPosted: Mon June 21, 2021 5:35 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

B wrote:

How on earth would we know? Self reporting only seems to be seen as valid if it goes a particular direction.

PostPosted: Mon June 21, 2021 7:32 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

simple schoolboy wrote:
B wrote:

How on earth would we know? Self reporting only seems to be seen as valid if it goes a particular direction.

To be fair, Tavistock is a special case… but it is also at the forefront of the debate and recently lost a major lawsuit over medically transitioning people under 16.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... ldren-gids

PostPosted: Mon June 21, 2021 10:12 pm 
Gone

You guys see that hot Olympic power lifter from New Zealand?

PostPosted: Fri July 02, 2021 5:16 pm 
Future Drummer

Honest questions, as I just can't figure this out and I want to understand. A WNBA player has come out as non-binary and trans. Can one be non-binary and trans? Isn't being trans selecting a binary status?

What is a trans male doing playing in a league for women?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/tv/meet-wnba-s-first-openly-non-binary-transgender-athlete-layshia-clarendon/ar-AALAt5c?ocid=msedgntp

PostPosted: Fri July 02, 2021 6:05 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

surfndestroy wrote:
Honest questions, as I just can't figure this out and I want to understand. A WNBA player has come out as non-binary and trans. Can one be non-binary and trans? Isn't being trans selecting a binary status?

Wikipedia wrote:
Non-binary (also spelled nonbinary) or genderqueer is an umbrella term for gender identities that are neither male nor female‍—‌identities that are outside the gender binary.[1][2] Non-binary identities fall under the transgender umbrella, since non-binary people typically identify with a gender that is different from their assigned sex,[2] though some non-binary individuals do not consider themselves transgender.

Non-binary people may identify as having two or more genders (being bigender or trigender);[5][6] having no gender (agender, nongendered, genderless, genderfree); moving between genders or having a fluctuating gender identity (genderfluid)

Quote:
What is a trans male doing playing in a league for women?

Enjoying broad support from association management, fans, and fellow players, apparently.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2513 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 126  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate