The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2513 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 126  Next
 Post subject: Re: Transgender Rights
PostPosted: Wed December 02, 2020 12:51 am 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
The Elliott Page news is pretty awesome.
It's awesome if this is her finding her true self and leads to a happier, more fulfilled life.

PostPosted: Wed December 02, 2020 12:56 am 
Looks Like a Cat

surfndestroy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
The Elliott Page news is pretty awesome.
It's awesome if this is her finding her true self and leads to a happier, more fulfilled life.

This. It’s also kinda awesome that we are at the point where this isn’t career suicide.

PostPosted: Wed December 02, 2020 1:28 am 
Rank This Poster

VinylGuy wrote:
B wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
The Elliott Page news is pretty awesome. At the risk of sounding like a shithead, I can't immediately think of any trans celebrities whose fame wasn't somehow defined by their being trans (I'm sure they exist, I just can't think of any).

Page is obviously talented as hell, and he made his career on his own merits. I'd like to think that his coming out after achieving a ton of success will help move the rock up the hill just a little bit more than had it been the other way around.

*they

"they are transgender and identify as non-binary, a term used to describe a person whose gender identity is neither man nor woman."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/01/entertai ... index.html

Honestly, I guess I don't know what transgender means if you can be non-binary. I have a hard time understanding a lot of gender stuff.

Have the exact same thought later and my girl, who is younger than me, said i just dont understand. Maybe she is right but cmon.

Transitioning/transitioned from a female to a non-binary gender.

PostPosted: Wed December 02, 2020 7:08 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Transhood is out on HBO if you want to see a mix of questionable and decent parenting .

PostPosted: Wed December 02, 2020 6:33 pm 
Future Drummer

I thought Elliot's choice of he/they rather than he/his pronouns to be weird. I wonder if that is tied to losing his previous identity of lesbian, or desire to belong in the queer community. I have mad respect for anyone courageous enough to transition, but I find the psychology post transition fascinating.

PostPosted: Wed December 02, 2020 7:20 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I thought this was the type of situation that zhe/zhey was created for.

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2020 3:53 am 
mXn

I heard on the radio today that on her way out of congress, Tulsi Gabbard introduced a bill that would ban people who were biologically born male from competing in women’s sports.

Discuss.

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2020 4:09 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bammer wrote:
I heard on the radio today that on her way out of congress, Tulsi Gabbard introduced a bill that would ban people who were biologically born male from competing in women’s sports.

Discuss.

I'm confused as to how this falls under federal purview. Is this specific to institutions that receive Department of Education funding?

Trans rights activists objections notwithstanding, if policy has to be made with broad strokes (and it is when Federally mandated), transwomen will have an advantage unless they take puberty blockers early on, which has other issues and probably should not be encouraged as a pre-requisite for playing sports.

So yeah, they either have some advantage that cannot be corrected by a few years of cross sex hormones, or they have potentially stunted growth and/ or bird bones.

Did they ever do a study on transwomen and bone density? My understanding is that preventing a normalish puberty in transwomen makes certain surgical interventions difficult later on. Are puberty blockers less likely to be used in transwomen?

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2020 12:26 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

simple schoolboy wrote:
Bammer wrote:

Discuss.

I'm confused as to how this falls under federal purview. Is this specific to institutions that receive Department of Education funding?

Trans rights activists objections notwithstanding, if policy has to be made with broad strokes (and it is when Federally mandated), transwomen will have an advantage unless they take puberty blockers early on, which has other issues and probably should not be encouraged as a pre-requisite for playing sports.

So yeah, they either have some advantage that cannot be corrected by a few years of cross sex hormones, or they have potentially stunted growth and/ or bird bones.

Did they ever do a study on transwomen and bone density? My understanding is that preventing a normalish puberty in transwomen makes certain surgical interventions difficult later on. Are puberty blockers less likely to be used in transwomen?

I think the bigger question is 'can kids really consent to puberty blockers?'

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2020 3:28 pm 
mXn

Bi_3 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Bammer wrote:

Discuss.

I haven’t heard of those procedures before and my initial reaction is that it’s a mix between playing God, and taking steroids.

***my uninformed take***

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2020 3:41 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:

I don't know, but I'm sure that a kid and their parents can make that decision.

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2020 4:02 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bammer wrote:
I haven’t heard of those procedures before and my initial reaction is that it’s a mix between playing God, and taking steroids.

You just described modern medicine

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2020 4:19 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

McParadigm wrote:
Bammer wrote:

If its for off label use, sure. Dr's basically going YOLO.

If these were new drugs there'd have to be proper trials dragging out for a decade or so.

Just don't tell us the science compells this particular treatment regime.

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2020 4:46 pm 
Future Drummer

simple schoolboy wrote:
Bammer wrote:

Discuss.

I think Gabbard's take is correct. There are structural differences that provide males some advantages in sports even if muscle mass is the same as a female.

My take would be make all sports co-ed. We don't or shouldn't discriminate in the workplace, why should the sports workplace be any different.

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2020 5:04 pm 
mXn

surfndestroy wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Bammer wrote:

Discuss.

I think Gabbard's take is correct. There are structural differences that provide males some advantages in sports even if muscle mass is the same as a female.

My take would be make all sports co-ed. We don't or shouldn't discriminate in the workplace, why should the sports workplace be any different.

I'm on board with this. There is one team, everybody goes through the same tryouts. May the best they win. Equality FTW.

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2020 5:07 pm 
Gone

Bammer wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Bammer wrote:

Discuss.

I'm on board with this. There is one team, everybody goes through the same tryouts. May the best they win. Equality FTW.

When has that ever been the way it works in this country? Teams will just fall all over themselves to score woke points by being the first to add some slow twitch pear of a female to their rosters.

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2020 5:09 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

simple schoolboy wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Bammer wrote:

If these were new drugs there'd have to be proper trials dragging out for a decade or so.

If you feel that applying previously-trialed, well-understood medications to new therapy programs is an unethical standard for modern medicine, you should make a thread about it because it is the norm and has impacted everything from premie care to lasik surgery to the president’s COVID treatment.

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2020 5:20 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

McParadigm wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Bammer wrote:

If you feel that applying previously-trialed, well-understood medications to new therapy programs is an unethical standard for modern medicine, you should make a thread about it because it is the norm and has impacted everything from premie care to lasik surgery to the president’s COVID treatment.

Nothing wrong with off label use. As you previously indicated, modern medicine doesn't work without it. Practice of Medicine =/ Science.

There are plenty of unanswered questions regarding long term use of these drugs.

Will the tradeoff be worth it for some patients? Sure! Are they getting all the information they need for informed consent? I hope so. Lets hope the Drs involved are more informed and ethical than the Trans Rights Activists that keep on claiming that puberty blockers are reversible.

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2020 7:28 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Bammer wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:

I guess women's professional sports had a good run.

I hope the ladies had fun while it lasted.

PostPosted: Tue December 22, 2020 7:40 pm 
Gone

Birds in Hell wrote:
Bammer wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:

I guess women's professional sports had a good run.

I hope the ladies had fun while it lasted.

When a tree falls

In the forrest

Do we hear it?

Do we care?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2513 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 126  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate