The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2513 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 126  Next
 Post subject: Re: Transgender Rights
PostPosted: Sun March 27, 2022 1:46 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Great post, but you flubbed the landing by referring to a trans woman as a man.

Just because you don't think trans woman should compete in women's sports, doesn't mean you have to call them men. That's just unnecessarily mean.

PostPosted: Sun March 27, 2022 1:57 pm 
mXn

B wrote:

Just because you don't think trans woman should compete in women's sports, doesn't mean you have to call them men. That's just unnecessarily mean.

Actually not true.

“He” in the first paragraph, referring specifically to pre-transition events.

No “he” in the second (post-transition) paragraph.

PostPosted: Sun March 27, 2022 3:01 pm 
The Master

I mean, in the grand scheme, who cares about sports.

PostPosted: Sun March 27, 2022 10:56 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bammer, I was referring to your last paragraph, but I see you didn't say what I thought you said.

PostPosted: Sun March 27, 2022 11:03 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

spike wrote:

A lot of people.

PostPosted: Wed March 30, 2022 5:44 pm 
She / Her

Bammer wrote:
20-year old Lia Thomas, his 6’1” frame, and his penis recorded the top men’s swimming time in three separate events at UPenn not 3 years ago. He was ranked 65th in the country among NCAA male swimmers in the 500 free.

Lia Thomas today is ranked 1st in the country among NCAA female swimmers in the 500 free.

swimming penis

PostPosted: Wed March 30, 2022 5:45 pm 
She / Her

Bammer wrote:
B wrote:

Actually not true.

“He” in the first paragraph, referring specifically to pre-transition events.

No “he” in the second (post-transition) paragraph.

it's still misgendering to refer to pre-out trans people without their current pronouns

PostPosted: Wed March 30, 2022 5:51 pm 
She / Her

B wrote:
Rob wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Would more trans kids transition before/during puberty if we had a less transphobic society? Would any of this matter if college sports weren't tied to scholarship opportunities?

This brings up a separate question, though. Is a 12 year old kid able to make that choice? My oldest will be 12 in six weeks, and she is definitely not transgendered (as far as we know), so I really don't know what it's like for others. All I know is that she does not seem old enough to make any decision yet which is this serious and life changing.

12yr olds DO make the choice to change their gender, but I'd think very few do, and even less take hormone blockers.

for what it's worth, I knew I wasn't one of the boys when I was six years old; I said to my mother in the school cloakroom "mum, when I grow up to be a girl..."

it was something I thought happened to everyone, to be honest, and I didn't think it was possible to just *be a girl, now, just because I wanted to be*, but I wish someone had been there at the time to tell me it was possible

kids may not make life-altering decisions (and hormone blockers aren't one), but they do know that they are what people are calling them, or if something seems "off" about it

PostPosted: Wed March 30, 2022 5:58 pm 
She / Her

people can't medically transition until they're old enough to consent as adults -- 18 in the UK

kids can socially transition -- use their preferred name and pronouns, choose their clothes -- whenever they want; their feelings about their gender might evolve or change again, they might decide they are actually cis, but their experience will be richer for having thought about it and explored their feelings instead of bottling them up

PostPosted: Wed March 30, 2022 6:52 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I'm literally at Penn and I don't give a shit what Lia does so it is quite baffling to see a bunch of folks suddenly interested in Ivy League swimming.

PostPosted: Wed March 30, 2022 7:10 pm 
Future Drummer

Ms Harmless wrote:
people can't medically transition until they're old enough to consent as adults -- 18 in the UK

kids can socially transition -- use their preferred name and pronouns, choose their clothes -- whenever they want; their feelings about their gender might evolve or change again, they might decide they are actually cis, but their experience will be richer for having thought about it and explored their feelings instead of bottling them up

This I can agree with. A 12 year old may know plenty about themselves, and should be supported. We have a neighbor with 4 kids, and the youngest (age 7) definitely prefers to play with girls and loves all the stereotypical girl stuff. Everyone is cool with it, the kid is awesome. But as you say, his feelings may evolve. I'm not sure a 12 year old is old enough to have really experienced their body or able to make life altering decisions. Maybe this kid is transgender, maybe he's gay, maybe he's straight and just likes playing with girls. But gender reassignment, should he choose it, should be his choice, and I just think there needs to be a level of maturity before that can happen.

PostPosted: Wed March 30, 2022 7:13 pm 
She / Her

Rob wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

This I can agree with. A 12 year old may know plenty about themselves, and should be supported. We have a neighbor with 4 kids, and the youngest (age 7) definitely prefers to play with girls and loves all the stereotypical girl stuff. Everyone is cool with it, the kid is awesome. But as you say, his feelings may evolve. I'm not sure a 12 year old is old enough to have really experienced their body or able to make life altering decisions. Maybe this kid is transgender, maybe he's gay, maybe he's straight and just likes playing with girls. But gender reassignment, should he choose it, should be his choice, and I just think there needs to be a level of maturity before that can happen.

as it exists at the moment, the gender reassignment system agrees with you; good luck to all of your kids in their journeys

PostPosted: Wed March 30, 2022 7:27 pm 
Rank This Poster

JuanHamm wrote:
spike wrote:

A lot of people.

They shouldn't.

PostPosted: Wed March 30, 2022 7:49 pm 
She / Her

Mickey wrote:
I'm literally at Penn and I don't give a shit what Lia does so it is quite baffling to see a bunch of folks suddenly interested in Ivy League swimming.

yep

PostPosted: Wed March 30, 2022 9:02 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Leatherhead wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:
spike wrote:

A lot of people.

They shouldn't.

Why not?

PostPosted: Wed March 30, 2022 9:06 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

JuanHamm wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:
spike wrote:

A lot of people.

They shouldn't.

Why not?

Culture warfare is only important when it happens at movie awards.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun April 10, 2022 9:58 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Sun April 10, 2022 10:04 pm 
Gone

Uh, why isn't that guy wearing a mask?

PostPosted: Sun April 10, 2022 10:48 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Do they always wear the same outfit or did they/she update their profile pic before going out?

PostPosted: Sun April 10, 2022 10:58 pm 
She / Her

McParadigm wrote:

I'm lucky I haven't had much of this IRL yet (I've been doxxed, called a pedo, you name it online)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2513 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 126  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate