The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 903 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Future of the GOP
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:28 pm 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
But have fun trying to build a coalition while unceasingly searching for and rooting out "hate" (disagreement) in your group like some kind of Spanish inquisitor.

I’m not fully in Camp Burt, but I am fully onboard with this.

I’m done being angry with republicans. They have a different worldview than mine; I don’t agree with most of it. But they’ve built their army, they’ve amassed their power, and it’s pointless for me to harbor resentment towards them.

At this point I’ve got infinitely more ire for the Dems for their total lack of vision, strength, and messaging. “Hope” worked really well in the early aughts, and they were able to attach a litany of platforms and program ideas to that core message.

It seems that their one-word message now would be “outrage.” That’s a much harder idea to rally around, since it actively repels roughly 50% of the population, and the remaining half has to do some real mental gymnastic to understand how that might translate to policies that close wealth gaps, fix buildings and bridges, and provides a better quality of life for everyone.

trag gets it. :thumbsup:

"morally pure losses over compromise victories" has already cost the country Build Back Better, the expanded Child Tax Credit, and just cost women the right to choose. Not the winning some might think it is.

:heartbeat: I wish I could say I had the foresight to see that Franken's expulsion from the Senate was the clear harbinger of all this, but in retrospect it's really obvious.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:32 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

tragabigzanda wrote:
At this point I’ve got infinitely more ire for the Dems for their total lack of vision, strength, and messaging. “Hope” worked really well in the early aughts, and they were able to attach a litany of platforms and program ideas to that core message.

What happened next?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:35 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Any serious accounting of the Democratic Party's lack of cohesive vision would have to go beyond the epiphenomenal experience of "outrage culture" or "purity tests" to grasp the real contradiction at the heart of the party.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:10 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:
At this point I’ve got infinitely more ire for the Dems for their total lack of vision, strength, and messaging.

Wrong thread, but I agree with this part and it is infuriating.

Quote:
“Hope” worked really well in the early aughts...It seems that their one-word message now would be “outrage.” That’s a much harder idea to rally around, since it actively repels roughly 50% of the population

This part, I disagree with.

First of all, attributing outrage-baiting primarily to Democrats while Republicans spent the same basic time period outrage-baiting everything from M&M costume changes to Dr Seuss's estate to basic cultural diversity to books in school libraries to CRT to masks to Disney Corp to You Are Being Replaced etc is selective.

Second of all, the reason both parties are doing the outrage dance is that it works. Outrage has been a prevalent and effective political tool for decades, now. Just in this century, you see it in the reaction to 9/11, in the reaction to the reaction to 9/11, in the Tea Party movement, in the Benghazi hearings, in Trumpism, in the reaction to Trumpism, and so on. You see it in the last presidential election, where everybody was more outraged than they've ever been and both parties saw the biggest fundraising and GOTV success they've had in your entire life.

Neither party can let go of outrage at this point for the same reason one party can't unilaterally de-escalate gerrymandering: it creates an advantage. In a digital world outrage moves faster than anything. Heck, Jim Banks, who leads the House Republican election committee, titled his last memo on messaging "Lean Into the Culture War." Outrage sells.

The issue with Democrats is that they no longer have an "and then we" to add on to that. There's no follow-up, because they refuse to let go of an ancient leadership team who see themselves as "protecting the gains we made" rather than striving to do new things. They have no actual ambition to act, only to keep winning elections. So "VOTE" is the only message they have left.

Where Burt is consistently right is this: the Republican Party understands that America is in a state of epochal change right now, and is probably going to keep getting further and further away from the thing that it used to be. They recognize that the value of extreme action today is that you can shape tomorrow. The Democratic leadership is so busy arguing that earthquakes are short, actually, that it can't recognize the long term ramifications of the buildings falling down around it. They think they're "winning" by continuing to mimic old formalities. They're ghosts from the past, capable of haunting but not affecting.

Republicans, meanwhile, have an "and then." And the value of having an "and then" (even one made up of primarily unpopular things) is that you can find ways to advance it even as you aren't winning elections. And then your constituents have something besides outrage: they believe you are actually fighting for them. Bonus: moderate voters who oppose your "and then" will mostly not notice or forget about it, over time. There's, like, zero evidence of any real blowback risk to the thing Democrats are deathly scared of: acting.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:28 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

McParadigm wrote:
The issue with Democrats is that they no longer have an "and then we" to add on to that. There's no follow-up, because they refuse to let go of an ancient leadership team who see themselves as "protecting the gains we made" rather than striving to do new things.

I disagree that the only (or even primary) problem here is the leadership, but otherwise I think this is essentially correct, as is the rest of that excellent post.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:36 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

McParadigm wrote:
Where Burt is consistently right

I had fun imagining the steam coming out of McP's ears as he typed this part.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:36 pm 
The Master

Yeah McP, I don't think you and I disagree one bit on any of that. You just said it way more eloquently than I did.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:44 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Mickey wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
The issue with Democrats is that they no longer have an "and then we" to add on to that. There's no follow-up, because they refuse to let go of an ancient leadership team who see themselves as "protecting the gains we made" rather than striving to do new things.

I disagree that the only (or even primary) problem here is the leadership, but otherwise I think this is essentially correct, as is the rest of that excellent post.

Nonsense. The democrats are now basically Joaquin Phoenix's character in Signs. They always strike out because they only swing for home runs. If you want proof of this look at the recent abortion bills vs Collins' bill. Or Romney's Family Security Act. Or Biden's sole major legislative accomplishment, the bi-partisan infrastructure bill. Progressives were literally crying because they even had to vote on it, despite it's widespread popularity and alignment with many of their goals. They are so reliant on ideological purity it caused them manifest physical pain to take a field goal to win. Like a spoiled child whining about getting a puppy and not a pony then blaming their stupid old parents (Joe and Kris) who just don't get it, #FML. It's bullshit and it's breaking everything.

Now before the equivocation and false choice blah-blah begins, I am by no means saying the Red crew doesn't do this to. Not at all. Around 40 of the 50 R senators are lost causes, and outside winning the vote are unworthy of their roles in society. Write them off now. But you don't need those 40 to get your agenda passed if you build it brick by brick over time like every other change in the history of everything. That next brick is your "and then we".

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:16 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Sorry, no, wrong direction.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:26 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lots of moving parts here. Lots of ins and outs. Lots of subtleties. Lots of nuance.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:02 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Pull up your pants, Burt.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:15 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Watch out for Dark MAGA:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasre ... b7154ac1fa

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:42 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Mickey wrote:
Sorry, no, wrong direction.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:28 am 
Mind Your Tanners

You don't seem to be able to grasp that I am just fundamentally not talking about whatever it is you're talking about:

Mickey wrote:
Any serious accounting of the Democratic Party's lack of cohesive vision would have to go beyond the epiphenomenal experience of "outrage culture" or "purity tests" to grasp the real contradiction at the heart of the party.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:22 pm 
Major Dude

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

So, they’re fully embracing the sinister, evil side now. Nothing named “dark” is ever benevolent. The dark ages. Dark web. Dark money. Dark chocolate. Dark side of the Force. Dark Lord of the Sith.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:20 pm 
Polluted

Dark Side of the Moon?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:25 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

ibanez dark iris...

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:27 pm 
Polluted

It's a SF470, Dougray. Show some respect.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:27 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

hey justin

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:28 pm 
Polluted

how ya been pal? keepin an eye on lenny for me?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 903 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 46  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate