The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 903 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: The Future of the GOP
PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2020 5:12 pm 
The Master

[Should this be its own thread? Feel free to merge.]

Like most David Brooks think pieces, he gets a few big things wrong, but is generally thinking in the right direction.

Where Do Republicans Go From Here?
The party looks brain-dead at every spot Trump touches. But off in the corners, there’s a lot of intellectual ferment

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/07/opin ... -2020.html

Post subject: Re: The Future of the GOP
PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2020 7:32 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

tragabigzanda wrote:
Like most David Brooks think pieces, he gets a few big things wrong, but is generally thinking in the right direction.

w h a t

PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2020 7:40 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Mickey wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

w h a t

Shoulda gone with Tom Nichols, Mr. Expert. He's gonna totally be the head of a de-Trumpified GOP.

PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2020 10:09 pm 
Rank This Poster

I think one of the big problems with this article is that in the first few paragraphs he brushes aside the thing that's almost certainly going to happen should Trump lose in November (that Trump will continue to remain in the public eye and be the de facto head of the GOP, and that he will remain exorbitantly popular among Republicans, even if the number of Republicans shrink).

PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2020 10:24 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

The Lincoln Project seems to represent a few folks.

PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2020 10:29 pm 
The Master

simple schoolboy wrote:
Mickey wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

w h a t

Shoulda gone with Tom Nichols, Mr. Expert. He's gonna totally be the head of a de-Trumpified GOP.

State your case

PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2020 10:32 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

elliseamos wrote:

The Lincoln project exists to provide income for politicos/ consultants that were frozen out of the Trump White House. Rick Wilson, who applied for a job with the Trump administration desperately needs the money to service his debts.

If wealthy democratic donors want these people to continue to be employed, thats their business. I think they will find they will get more ad buys per donated dollar with almost any other initiative, however.

PostPosted: Sat August 08, 2020 12:20 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

People like David Brooks, Rick Wilson and Tom Nichols represent the future of the GOP only on their own minds, and in the dreams of democrats.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat August 08, 2020 12:29 am 
The Master

In Brooks's defense (yuck), his piece is really just sort of pointing to the jockeying happening on the more intellectual fringes of the party; he doesn't claim any sort of prediction about who will take the lead.

PostPosted: Sat August 08, 2020 12:42 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I don't really have an answer, but if I were to guess it would be Tucker Carlson and maybe Bannon and that ideology, something that these neverTrump types don't understand (mostly because they were not really conservatives.)

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat August 08, 2020 12:54 am 
The Master

We’re witnessing it.

They found their wheelhouse and they have molded their asses right into the couch cushion.

PostPosted: Sat August 08, 2020 1:08 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
I don't really have an answer, but if I were to guess it would be Tucker Carlson and maybe Bannon and that ideology, something that these neverTrump types don't understand (mostly because they were not really conservatives.)

So, Populist party? Try to win over some more populist oriented Saunders voters?

PostPosted: Sat August 08, 2020 1:19 am 
The Master

simple schoolboy wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

So, Populist party? Try to win over some more populist oriented Saunders voters?

It’ll be populism but without the blatant xenophobia. One good question that Brooks raises is what happens to the free market ideology when that approach has crushed the populist base.

PostPosted: Sat August 08, 2020 1:20 am 

simple schoolboy wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

I'd like to think so, but I think most hardcore Bernie bros are completely discouraged and on the sidelines right now.

I don't see why the populist trend would reverse. None of the problems have gone away or will go away under Biden, the ultimate "return to normalcy [runaway neoliberalism]" candidate.

PostPosted: Sat August 08, 2020 1:29 am 
Mind Your Tanners

simple schoolboy wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

The Lincoln project exists to provide income for politicos/ consultants that were frozen out of the Trump White House. Rick Wilson, who applied for a job with the Trump administration desperately needs the money to service his debts.

If wealthy democratic donors want these people to continue to be employed, thats their business. I think they will find they will get more ad buys per donated dollar with almost any other initiative, however.
Okay, but I don't see these types of people disappearing from politics and conceding their view of conservatism.

PostPosted: Sat August 08, 2020 1:29 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

'Enjoy it now'

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sat August 08, 2020 1:31 am 

PostPosted: Sat August 08, 2020 9:23 am 
The Master

BurtReynolds wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat August 08, 2020 11:02 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

strat looks good in that pic

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sat August 08, 2020 4:10 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I'm grew up as a republican with libertarian leanings. I grew disillusioned with the GOP during the W years. Once it became it obvious that Ted Cruz was the only Republican who had a chance to beat Trump for the '16 nomination I was out. There's still a few Never Trumpers out there but they've been removed from office or relegated to the sidelines. The party is run and is based by deplorables now (to borrow a word). It's quite a void they've created for themselves but that's what happens when you go all in with a con artist.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 903 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 46  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate