The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 903 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Future of the GOP
PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 8:32 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Also Democrats were able to pass a stimulus bill because COVID stimulus packages are popular and broadly supported, and the GOP is smart enough to stay more or less out of the way on that one.

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 8:34 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Rob wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Democrats were able to pass the stimulus bill in part because Republicans were to busy complaining about cancel culture to message against it. Will they now get to pass an enormous infrastructure bill because Republicans are too busy telling corporations to stay out of politics (I’m not talking about political contributions)?

I like your McConnell reference there, haha. Also, why do people think it's a good idea to open with "first they came...?" I guess woke Libs are nazis now.

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 8:38 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Why wouldn't they focus on issues that they are on the popular side of? Beats fighting against ones they are on the unpopular side of that they can't even stop.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 9:04 pm 
The Master

BurtReynolds wrote:
Why wouldn't they focus on issues that they are on the popular side of? Beats fighting against ones they are on the unpopular side of that they can't even stop.

how does a media stance against the outrage-industrial complex drive votes or legislation though?

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 9:23 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

tragabigzanda wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

how does a media stance against the outrage-industrial complex drive votes or legislation though?

How doesn't it?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 9:28 pm 
The Master

BurtReynolds wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

How doesn't it?

it's a long way to go to 2022. I can't imagine this is the drum they'll keep beating until then. But even if they did, i'd think the economic positives of competent leadership in DC will outweigh the mitch narrative, at least for POTUS and Senate races. I do think the House could be taken back with this tactic though.

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 10:18 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Please, I am begging you, stop making me agree with Burt.

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 10:25 pm 
The Master

Mickey wrote:
Please, I am begging you, stop making me agree with Burt.

literally decades of voting data -- including 2020 -- make it clear that the economy rules all once they get into the voting booth. With widespread reports that the US is on track to lead global economic recovery while likely surpassing China in economic growth for the first time since 2005, do you honestly think that the backlash to the outrage-industrial complex is going to play THAT big a role in future elections?

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 10:27 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Trag what happened in 2016.

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 10:34 pm 
The Master

Mickey wrote:
Trag what happened in 2016.

Benghazi

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 10:34 pm 
The Master

no but seriously, the economic concerns of a bunch of poor white people drove massive turnout for a populist candidate. that's very different that Mitch's current blathering.

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 10:43 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

C'mon man. We know Trump was elected by suburban whites (like Josh!) who gobbled up that MAGA nonsense. We know and they know that the Trump playbook--the elites hate you, they hate America, take back your country!--has worked before. Will it work again in the absence of a global pandemic overseen by a grossly incompetent media dipshit? Maybe! And you can bet your ass they're going to try it!

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 10:48 pm 
The Master

Mickey wrote:
C'mon man. We know Trump was elected by suburban whites (like Josh!) who gobbled up that MAGA nonsense. We know and they know that the Trump playbook--the elites hate you, they hate America, take back your country!--has worked before. Will it work again in the absence of a global pandemic overseen by a grossly incompetent media dipshit? Maybe! And you can bet your ass they're going to try it!

does the data show that suburban whites gobbled that shit up, or that they didn't want to vote for Hillary?

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 10:52 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Lest anyone forget, whatever gets passed the Rs will still take victory laps for it.

But I'd find it hard for Rs to win if they plan to bad-talk corporations... even ones that can only talk with contributions and not political actions.

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 10:54 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

tragabigzanda wrote:
Mickey wrote:

does the data show that suburban whites gobbled that shit up, or that they didn't want to vote for Hillary?

How could you possibly adjudicate between those two options given that Hillary was one of the elites that hates you and hates your culture? Any attempt would be pure speculation (personally I think both Bernie and Biden eke out a win in alternate-2016, but we'll never know). But more importantly, what are we debating here? Is it whether culture war shit is going to win in 2024, or is it whether they're going to try it? Because the former is anyone's guess, but the latter seems pretty clear to me, given that the GOP has been riding culture war (in some form, if not its current manifestation of anti-outrage) since at least 1994.

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 10:59 pm 
The Master

Mickey wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Mickey wrote:

How could you possibly adjudicate between those two options given that Hillary was one of the elites that hates you and hates your culture? Any attempt would be pure speculation (personally I think both Bernie and Biden eke out a win in alternate-2016, but we'll never know). But more importantly, what are we debating here? Is it whether culture war shit is going to win in 2024, or is it whether they're going to try it? Because the former is anyone's guess, but the latter seems pretty clear to me, given that the GOP has been riding culture war (in some form, if not its current manifestation of anti-outrage) since at least 1994.

oh i totally agree they will try it. My "why" is more rhetorical, like what's the point? Because as I said, I don't think it will win them anything other than a (potentially meaningful) handful of House seats

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 11:07 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I started typing the following comment, I'm not sure I agree with it but I'll put it here anyway:

I think the reason why is that US presidential elections are basically overdetermined from the start by factors well outside the control of either party, both of which lack the power to seriously affect (rather than simply manage) the movement of capital and the libidinal desires it induces at any historical juncture, and so they each articulate themselves around a cultural politics (progressive-inclusive-globlal/neoliberal or defensive-nationalist-individualist) to fire up their base, knowing that the American electorate is basically r-word to begin with, and then hope for the best (and/or actively manipulate voting procedures, electoral maps, and the judiciary to ensure the best outcome).

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 11:07 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

If you disagree, please consider that I might, also.

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 11:11 pm 

Liberal derision of "the culture war" is pretty funny considering they spend every waking moment fighting in it (but when they do it, it's called "social JUSTICE"). They just downplay it because they're winning and don't need attention brought to it. But even for the few who genuinely regard it as unimportant, people who put more weight on how much stuff they can get than the survival of their culture and community are just fundamentally different people than the ones who value the reverse.

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 11:14 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

BurtReynolds wrote:
Liberal derision of "the culture war"

I know you are not talking to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 903 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 46  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate