The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 903 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Future of the GOP
PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 11:20 pm 
The Master

BurtReynolds wrote:
Liberal derision of "the culture war" is pretty funny considering they spend every waking moment fighting in it (but when they do it, it's called "social JUSTICE"). They just downplay it because they're winning and don't need attention brought to it. But even for the few who genuinely regard it as unimportant, people who put more weight on how much stuff they can get than the survival of their culture and community are just fundamentally different people than the ones who value the reverse.

are you suggesting that demonstrating for sentencing equity for black people on charges of marijuana possession is basically the same as saying Gina Carano should be able to say whatever she wants and still cradle the baby yoda?

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 11:30 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 11:52 pm 
The Master

Cooool, just checking

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 11:54 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 11:56 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm not taking trag's dumb comparison seriously.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed April 07, 2021 12:19 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Mickey wrote:
Trag what happened in 2016.

Ok but what happened the two election after that?

PostPosted: Wed April 07, 2021 2:19 am 
Mind Your Tanners

McParadigm wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Trag what happened in 2016.

Ok but what happened the two election after that?

Mickey wrote:
Will it work again in the absence of a global pandemic overseen by a grossly incompetent media dipshit? Maybe! And you can bet your ass they're going to try it!

PostPosted: Fri April 09, 2021 4:27 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Don Jr & Eric are always popping up on the conservative channels talking about Hunter Biden without a hint of irony.
Granted that Hunter is a mess but like Don Jr and Eric wouldn’t be where they are without their last name.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 1:22 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Mapping of 2020 election if it was only under-45s voting:

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 1:37 pm 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
Mapping of 2020 election if it was only under-45s voting:

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 5:35 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Generational thinking is mystical thinking.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 5:36 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 7:25 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Mickey wrote:

In some ways I agree. But the majority of people vote more or less the same way at 65 that they did at 30, and the cultural and social issue stagnation of the Republican Party that has lasted for decades will make it really hard to correct course in a way that closes such a profound worldview gap.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 7:27 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
Mickey wrote:

In some ways I agree. But the majority of people vote more or less the same way at 65 that they did at 30, and the cultural and social issue stagnation of the Republican Party that has lasted for decades will make it really hard to correct course in a way that closes such a profound worldview gap.

100% this.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 7:28 pm 

We'll see!

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 7:33 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

McParadigm wrote:
Mickey wrote:

I would simply reiterate that generational thinking is mystical thinking. The majority of people in the past two to three generations voted the same way at 65 as they did at 30. The last two or three generations faced a very different American reality with regards to the movement of global capital than the current one does. So while I think "fuck trans people" turns a TON of young voters off of the GOP, and that more generally the right makes their bargain with Evangelicals and traditionalists at the expense of a (mostly reactionary) youth vote, the Democrats and the broader left should be incredibly careful about assuming the youth vote is theirs, or that things will continue apace.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 8:10 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Mickey wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Mickey wrote:

I would simply reiterate that generational thinking is mystical thinking. The majority of people in the past two to three generations voted the same way at 65 as they did at 30. The last two or three generations faced a very different American reality with regards to the movement of global capital than the current one does. So while I think "fuck trans people" turns a TON of young voters off of the GOP, and that more generally the right makes their bargain with Evangelicals and traditionalists at the expense of a (mostly reactionary) youth vote, the Democrats and the broader left should be incredibly careful about assuming the youth vote is theirs, or that things will continue apace.

I don't disagree with any of that. But I will also admit that it's hard for me to imagine a bunch of the 2020 youth vote buying into a rehabbed GOP in an era of climate change (not that the only alternative is they all become Democrats).

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 9:32 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

McParadigm wrote:
Mickey wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Mickey wrote:

I don't disagree with any of that. But I will also admit that it's hard for me to imagine a bunch of the 2020 youth vote buying into a rehabbed GOP in an era of climate change (not that the only alternative is they all become Democrats).

Bolded part is key, I think--more likely the youth vote is massively depressed while reactionary millennials take the GOP pill than a full on youth swing to the right (not that the latter is impossible, but less likely than the above IMO).

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 1:50 am 
The Master

just a couple old guys deciding how the youth will vote

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 2:06 am 
Mind Your Tanners

spike wrote:
just a couple old guys deciding how the youth will vote

Yeah, Drop the Leash, Mickey & McP.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 903 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 46  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate