The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Democracy Deferred: End of 2020 Election Prediction Thre
PostPosted: Wed August 19, 2020 7:09 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I don't quite understand why reporters bother asking McEnany (or any WH press secretary, really) questions. What is anyone gaining here?

Reporters ask a question, get bland talking points/ridiculous lies in return. Rinse and repeat. Nobody is learning anything. No journalism is happening. It's just a waste of everyone's time.

PostPosted: Wed August 19, 2020 10:20 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

are you kidding the Ari Fleischer era was a clinic on factual, reliable information

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Tue September 01, 2020 1:06 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

:poke:

PostPosted: Tue September 01, 2020 2:21 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

That makes sense.

PostPosted: Tue September 01, 2020 8:55 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

elliseamos wrote:
That makes sense.

It's also what I lovingly call "worse case scenario"

PostPosted: Tue September 01, 2020 8:59 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I'd have to move back my date prediction in that case.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed September 02, 2020 12:37 am 
Mind Your Tanners

BurtReynolds wrote:
I'd have to move back my date prediction in that case.

I'm feeling a o k.

PostPosted: Wed September 02, 2020 1:33 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

looks like a lot of options traders think this will be a protracted election decision....

Quote:
As the U.S. stock market continues to rally to record highs, the attention of many investors is turning toward November’s elections as a source of risk.

However, hedging against that potential volatility doesn’t come cheap. In fact, it’s currently the most-expensive event risk on record based on a common way to bet on volatility known as a “butterfly trade.”

Futures tied to the Cboe Volatility Index expiring in late October closed on Tuesday at 33.5, compared with a spot VIX that closed at 26.1. Those October contracts, which are currently the second-month futures and reflect expected volatility in the month after they expire on Oct. 21, are also higher than the first-month futures expiring in September and the third month expiring in November.

One “butterfly” trade would be to buy one unit each of the first- and third-month contracts while selling two units of the second. Currently, that trade prices with a reading of -6.9, the difference in costs between the butterfly’s “wings” in September and November and the “belly” in October. That pricing reflects the premium that investors are giving to own volatility over the election.

“In the history of the VIX futures contracts, we’ve never had an event risk command this sort of premium into forward-dated vol at a specific tenor,” Bloomberg macro strategist Cameron Crise wrote in a blog post. “That obviously suggests that markets anticipate some pretty incredible fireworks.” He excluded a higher premium on March 18 of this year since front-month futures expired that day, when the S&P 500 fell 5.2%.

The spread between October and November VIX futures is also wide at about -1.7 instead of about 0.2, which history suggests it should be based on the level of the spot VIX, according to Crise.

“If it starts trading above where it ‘ought’ to be, particularly given the risk premium lavished on the election, that could be a sign that punters are worried about 2000-style uncertainty,” Crise wrote, referring to the presidential contest between George W. Bush and Al Gore, which ultimately was decided by the U.S. Supreme Court. “You don’t need a particularly vivid imagination to think that that could get pretty ugly this time around.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-01/u-s-election-priced-as-worst-event-risk-in-vix-futures-history

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed September 23, 2020 5:48 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Bumping because I had originally set October 1st as the deadline to get guesses in.

PostPosted: Wed September 30, 2020 3:08 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Debate night bump. Deadline extended to October 15th. If we make it that far.

PostPosted: Wed September 30, 2020 3:18 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Simple Torture wrote:
Debate night bump. Deadline extended to October 15th. If we make it that far.

I predict no deadline.

PostPosted: Wed September 30, 2020 3:20 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I'm sticking to my Christmas Day guess for no reason other than I think it would be cool

PostPosted: Tue October 27, 2020 12:10 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

If someone hadn't already taken 11/3, I would've added this as the President's guess:

PostPosted: Tue October 27, 2020 1:07 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

a lot of different font sizes and colors in that tweet

PostPosted: Tue October 27, 2020 1:11 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

This thread is just getting warmed up. Kavanaugh wrote today that absentee ballots that come in after election day could "flip" an election (even though results wouldn't be finalized until after those ballots are counted); says this could lead to "chaos and suspicions of impropriety."

PostPosted: Tue October 27, 2020 1:36 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

and Lil Pump just endorsed Trump too

this is not looking good

PostPosted: Tue October 27, 2020 2:29 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Learn from jack dorsey how voting by mail is safe and secure.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue October 27, 2020 3:36 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Simple Torture wrote:
This thread is just getting warmed up. Kavanaugh wrote today that absentee ballots that come in after election day could "flip" an election (even though results wouldn't be finalized until after those ballots are counted); says this could lead to "chaos and suspicions of impropriety."

I don’t think that’s what the Kav meant, even though it is what he wrote. Public expectation is the winner is known by daybreak, certification of results be damned

PostPosted: Tue October 27, 2020 7:09 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
I don’t think that’s what the Kav meant, even though it is what he wrote.

If you think he is that bad at expressing his own legal opinions, you should be a lot more alarmed than that.

Quote:
Public expectation is the winner is known by daybreak, certification of results be damned

Not only are actual results not ordinarily verified until days later, but 23 states took 4 or more days just to verify their primary results this year.

PostPosted: Tue October 27, 2020 12:39 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
I don’t think that’s what the Kav meant, even though it is what he wrote.

If you think he is that bad at expressing his own legal opinions, you should be a lot more alarmed than that.

Quote:
Public expectation is the winner is known by daybreak, certification of results be damned

Not only are actual results not ordinarily verified until days later, but 23 states took 4 or more days just to verify their primary results this year.

This is about the cutoff, though right? I can actually see the point in saying "the government should not count ballots received after the general election results are known to the public." Certified mail aside, how would we make people feel confident that the ballots weren't cast after the election by people trying to change the results?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate