The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 957 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism
PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 3:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Calibrating
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 82968
Location: everybody needs to stop bragging about their mountains
tree_ wrote:
What happened up there? One of you did a weird mod edit.

I hit "edit" instead of "quote". I fixed it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism
PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 3:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Calibrating
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 82968
Location: everybody needs to stop bragging about their mountains
durdencommatyler wrote:
tree_ wrote:
I will clarify: There is systemic racism. But where? Problems of the black community are our problems and we should do something about it. What, though, isn't clear to me. Do not carry on with life as normal.

Thank you.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism
PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 3:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 14876
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
No problem. Now tell me how I'm racist, please.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism
PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 3:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 42636
Location: Mountains
Im a little racist.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism
PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 5:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 5830
Location: Tristes Tropiques
Strat wrote:
Im a little racist.


Really? I've always thought of you as a taller guy.

_________________
pepperwhiteMFC wrote:
Seems like Mickey has formed 4 decks worth of archetypes out of RMers, and he’s playing them off of each other as if to divine some sort of overall meaning to this place.


Bi_3 wrote:
stop cowering in fear and post


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism
PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 6:06 pm 
Offline
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 7845
tree_ wrote:
No problem. Now tell me how I'm racist, please.


If you are not antiracist you are a racist because you are not fighting the power structures that re-enforce systemic racism. Sinner or saved, can't be both.

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism
PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 6:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 14876
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
Image


........ OHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................

:shake:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism
PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 6:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 63098
My partner is reading that right now

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism
PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 6:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 14876
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
https://quillette.com/2018/08/24/the-pr ... ty-theory/

Quote:
While a sampling of data makes the racial divide clear, it is not clear what should be done about it. Hence, the policy debates that drive news cycles, motivate social science research, and galvanize the tirades rampant on social media. This is to be expected in a large and diverse society. But what has become regrettable—intolerable, even—is the fervor with which progressives claim the moral high ground even when confronted with social science research which should make them pause and reconsider their convictions.

The notion of ‘white fragility’ is an unambiguous example of the slippery slope that can ensue. Invoking ‘white fragility’ when presented with serious critiques of the conceptual and methodological underpinnings of the IAT, the micro-aggression research paradigm, white privilege, and other progressive ideas, is like hearing someone blithely dismiss a rigorous critique of communism as ‘bourgeois.’ One does not have to invoke communism’s worst abuses to appreciate the hostility to scientific inquiry of those who wave away objections by attributing them to a white ‘racialized’ perspective (to use DiAngelo’s word). Socialization and acculturation are powerful forces in the development of one’s capacity to think critically about social, political, and economic issues, but they do not make it impossible. To believe otherwise is to replace the scientific method (ironically enough) with a reactionary reflexive need to categorize any objections—reasonable or otherwise—as manifestations of ‘white fragility.’ In other words, ‘white fragility’ becomes an Orwellian device to dismiss objections from white people in the same way that ‘bourgeois’ was a semantic weapon to dismiss the objections of ‘capitalists’ to communist doctrine.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism
PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 6:39 pm 
Offline
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 7845
tree_ wrote:
https://quillette.com/2018/08/24/the-problem-with-white-fragility-theory/

Quote:
While a sampling of data makes the racial divide clear, it is not clear what should be done about it. Hence, the policy debates that drive news cycles, motivate social science research, and galvanize the tirades rampant on social media. This is to be expected in a large and diverse society. But what has become regrettable—intolerable, even—is the fervor with which progressives claim the moral high ground even when confronted with social science research which should make them pause and reconsider their convictions.

The notion of ‘white fragility’ is an unambiguous example of the slippery slope that can ensue. Invoking ‘white fragility’ when presented with serious critiques of the conceptual and methodological underpinnings of the IAT, the micro-aggression research paradigm, white privilege, and other progressive ideas, is like hearing someone blithely dismiss a rigorous critique of communism as ‘bourgeois.’ One does not have to invoke communism’s worst abuses to appreciate the hostility to scientific inquiry of those who wave away objections by attributing them to a white ‘racialized’ perspective (to use DiAngelo’s word). Socialization and acculturation are powerful forces in the development of one’s capacity to think critically about social, political, and economic issues, but they do not make it impossible. To believe otherwise is to replace the scientific method (ironically enough) with a reactionary reflexive need to categorize any objections—reasonable or otherwise—as manifestations of ‘white fragility.’ In other words, ‘white fragility’ becomes an Orwellian device to dismiss objections from white people in the same way that ‘bourgeois’ was a semantic weapon to dismiss the objections of ‘capitalists’ to communist doctrine.


Huh. It's almost like....

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism
PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 7:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 14876
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
Quote:
The inconvenient truth is that the available social science research does not currently provide support for the ‘implicit bias’ hypothesis, so DiAngelo should reconsider her assumptions about the nature of racism, as well as her claims about the role of ‘white fragility’ in its perpetuation. She does not, however, appear keen to do so, despite being a trained social scientist with a PhD. For anyone who cares about the scientific method, that is both unfortunate and indicative of a willingness to subordinate facts and data to ideology.

This kind of thinking has a tendency to transform education into indoctrination. When the scientific method is subordinated to the eradication of ‘racialized’ perspectives, we cease to learn about the hows and whys of social and economic disparities across racial groups and instead become immersed in the propagation of ideas that lack support from social science research. At which point it becomes difficult to dismiss concerns that progressive activism is not about social justice at all, but about ideological intolerance and conformity, driven by agendas reminiscent of Marxist thought and activism. ‘White fragility’ has become the new ‘bourgeois’—an accusation sufficient to invalidate any heterodox opinion at a stroke.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism
PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 7:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 42636
Location: Mountains
tree_ wrote:
Quote:
The inconvenient truth is that the available social science research does not currently provide support for the ‘implicit bias’ hypothesis, so DiAngelo should reconsider her assumptions about the nature of racism, as well as her claims about the role of ‘white fragility’ in its perpetuation. She does not, however, appear keen to do so, despite being a trained social scientist with a PhD. For anyone who cares about the scientific method, that is both unfortunate and indicative of a willingness to subordinate facts and data to ideology.

This kind of thinking has a tendency to transform education into indoctrination. When the scientific method is subordinated to the eradication of ‘racialized’ perspectives, we cease to learn about the hows and whys of social and economic disparities across racial groups and instead become immersed in the propagation of ideas that lack support from social science research. At which point it becomes difficult to dismiss concerns that progressive activism is not about social justice at all, but about ideological intolerance and conformity, driven by agendas reminiscent of Marxist thought and activism. ‘White fragility’ has become the new ‘bourgeois’—an accusation sufficient to invalidate any heterodox opinion at a stroke.

he's saying a lot of words and talking in circles while not providing any other of his scientific data that might be evidence to the contrary of Diangelo's discussion.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism
PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 7:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 14876
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
Strat wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Quote:
The inconvenient truth is that the available social science research does not currently provide support for the ‘implicit bias’ hypothesis, so DiAngelo should reconsider her assumptions about the nature of racism, as well as her claims about the role of ‘white fragility’ in its perpetuation. She does not, however, appear keen to do so, despite being a trained social scientist with a PhD. For anyone who cares about the scientific method, that is both unfortunate and indicative of a willingness to subordinate facts and data to ideology.

This kind of thinking has a tendency to transform education into indoctrination. When the scientific method is subordinated to the eradication of ‘racialized’ perspectives, we cease to learn about the hows and whys of social and economic disparities across racial groups and instead become immersed in the propagation of ideas that lack support from social science research. At which point it becomes difficult to dismiss concerns that progressive activism is not about social justice at all, but about ideological intolerance and conformity, driven by agendas reminiscent of Marxist thought and activism. ‘White fragility’ has become the new ‘bourgeois’—an accusation sufficient to invalidate any heterodox opinion at a stroke.

he's saying a lot of words and talking in circles while not providing any other of his scientific data that might be evidence to the contrary of Diangelo's discussion.
You can't provide proof that something doesn't exist... it doesn't exist.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism
PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 7:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Fri January 04, 2013 1:46 am
Posts: 1274
Location: Connecticut
Are you saying implicit bias doesn't exist?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism
PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 7:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 42636
Location: Mountains
I glad you found a home with the likes of jordan peterson and johnathon church at quilette, tree. I really am.

Good luck to you on your life journey.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism
PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 7:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 14876
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
I am saying that in order to know something exists, you should require proof first. Otherwise, it is a faith based belief.

Strat, I didn't know who the guy was. I read the article and he made some interesting points. Care to argue against the points? I'm listening.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism
PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 7:31 pm 
Online
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 41062
Location: I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Bi_3 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
No problem. Now tell me how I'm racist, please.


If you are not antiracist you are a racist because you are not fighting the power structures that re-enforce systemic racism. Sinner or saved, can't be both.

According to the dogma everyone is racist. And denying your racism is only proof that you are racist. I don't know why everyone here is denying that they are racist. So fragile.

_________________
"Never underestimate your inability to not think incorrectly"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism
PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 7:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 42636
Location: Mountains
tree_ wrote:
I am saying that in order to know something exists, you should require proof first. Otherwise, it is a faith based belief.

Strat, I didn't know who the guy was. I read the article and he made some interesting points. Care to argue against the points? I'm listening.

He didnt make any points other than "You cant prove bias with science so therefore i dont want to talk about it"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism
PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 7:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 42636
Location: Mountains
and i think there was soft core porn about how leftists will probably destroy the society


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism
PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 7:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 14876
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
It's like you didn't read what he said at all.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 957 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BurtReynolds, elliseamos, Monkey_Driven and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sat July 04, 2020 12:28 am