The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism
PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 1:05 am 
Major Dude

tree_ wrote:
I am being called a racist though, and when not, questioned for my integrity, for simply saying racism isn't the whole story.

How many white guys have you told on at work for sleeping?

How many black guys have you told on at work for sleeping?

How many times have you slept at work?

PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 1:06 am 
Future Drummer

tree_ wrote:
I am being called a racist though, and when not, questioned for my integrity, for simply saying racism isn't the whole story.

I wonder if your integrity is being questioned because 900 posts into this thread, we've gone nowhere and you're still asking/saying the same things.

PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 1:18 am 
See you in another life, brother

Strat wrote:
I dont think you are racist tree. I really dont.

I think you have a major fucking blindspot regarding race and you often seem to be willfully obtuse and/or play devils advocate that brings into question your moral ground at times.

I agree with all of this. I think tree_ has decided it's mostly a poverty issue and he separates poverty from systemic racism. I don't, and it doesn't seem like most other people in this thread do either, but just because he does that doesn't make him a racist.

PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 1:24 am 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Thank you for being fair.

PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 1:31 am 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

To continue building up the steel man, I would add the poverty has much to do with racism of the past, and those systems need to be fixed.

PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 12:51 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tree_ wrote:
Reported. I don't think there's much worse of a person, if any, than a racist and I don't deserve to be called one repeatedly.

See, you're a progressive after all!

PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 1:31 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Indeed. I thought my support for UBI would have established that a long time ago.

PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 2:26 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:

I think you have a major fucking blindspot regarding race and you often seem to be willfully obtuse and/or play devils advocate that brings into question your moral ground at times.

Being unwilling to dig through 45 pages of this thread, I will conceded this fact. I do not think that tree_ thinks black people are inferior to white people.

I do think he stances on policy have been determined by the black community at large to be detrimental.

I don't know what to call a person who is racist in function, but not racist in spirit. No one does.

PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 2:32 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
Strat wrote:

Being unwilling to dig through 45 pages of this thread, I will conceded this fact. I do not think that tree_ thinks black people are inferior to white people.

I do think he stances on policy have been determined by the black community at large to be detrimental.

I don't know what to call a person who is racist in function, but not racist in spirit. No one does.
No. I think it's absolutely vital to help struggling, poor communities. I was arguing that the way to help these communities is complicated, and so is locating the actual problems to fix. Getting rid of police and seeing ghosts of racism everywhere actually does more harm than good, specifically to these communities.

PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 2:33 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

tree_ wrote:
B wrote:
Strat wrote:

No. I think it's absolutely vital to help struggling, poor communities. I was arguing that the way to help these communities is complicated, and so is locating the actual problems to fix. Getting rid of police and seeing ghosts of racism everywhere actually does more harm than good, specifically to these communities.

No, you misunderstand me. The policies you've been pushing in this thread are detrimental to the black community.

PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 2:34 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
tree_ wrote:
B wrote:
Strat wrote:

No, you misunderstand me. The policies you've been pushing in this thread are detrimental to the black community.
Name one.

PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 2:43 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

tree_ wrote:
there might be systemic racism. There also might be a talking jelly fish in my bedroom.

PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 2:46 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
tree_ wrote:
there might be systemic racism. There also might be a talking jelly fish in my bedroom.
LOL that's not a policy B! I admit that was a stupid comment. I was referring to the lack of evidence for it in the police though, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 2:57 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

tree_ wrote:
B wrote:
tree_ wrote:
LOL that's not a policy B! I admit that was a stupid comment. I was referring to the lack of evidence for it in the police though, I'm sure.

Give me a break. What's your point there? That systemic racism is as likely as a talking jelly fish. What policies stem from that point of view?

There's no such thing as systemic racism. The problems of black communities are their own. Perceived injustices are just black people playing the victim. Carry on with life as normal.

PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 3:03 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
tree_ wrote:
B wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Give me a break. What's your point there? That systemic racism is as likely as a talking jelly fish. What policies stem from that point of view?

There's no such thing as systemic racism. The problems of black communities are their own. Perceived injustices are just black people playing the victim. Carry on with life as normal.
I am not saying any of those things. I strongly disagree. I will clarify: There is systemic racism. But where? Problems of the black community are our problems and we should do something about it. What, though, isn't clear to me. Do not carry on with life as normal.

PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 3:04 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

tree_ wrote:
B wrote:
tree_ wrote:
B wrote:
tree_ wrote:

I am not saying any of those things. I strongly disagree. I will clarify: There is systemic racism. But where? Problems of the black community are our problems and we should do something about it. What, though, isn't clear to me. Do not carry on with life as normal.

Well, thus we progress, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 3:25 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
Strat wrote:

I do. The word you're looking for is racist.

PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 3:30 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

durdencommatyler wrote:
B wrote:
Strat wrote:

I do. The word you're looking for is racist.
Now it's your turn. Name one racist policy you perceive me to support.

PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 3:31 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

What happened up there? One of you did a weird mod edit.

PostPosted: Fri June 26, 2020 3:32 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tree_ wrote:
I will clarify: There is systemic racism. But where? Problems of the black community are our problems and we should do something about it. What, though, isn't clear to me. Do not carry on with life as normal.

Thank you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 76  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate