The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: Black Lives Matter
PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 6:33 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 6:48 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

For a person who supposedly hasn't decided upon an opinion, you're only looking in one tiny little box for help in forming it.

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 6:50 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Did we learn nothing from yesterday, B?

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 6:51 pm 
Major Dude

durdencommatyler wrote:
Did we learn nothing from yesterday, B?

Do the right thing here, Joe.

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 7:05 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
For a person who supposedly hasn't decided upon an opinion, you're only looking in one tiny little box for help in forming it.
I'm liking what these fellers have to say. I watched a sorta debate between Hughes and Ta-Nehisi Coates and Hughes wins. I also now seem to like what John McWhorter has to say. Makes most sense, more nuanced, less emotionally driven, more fact based.

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 7:16 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

It's actually hilarious and sad to me how unforgiving some of you are when even a question is raised about your so firmly held beliefs. The discussion in this video about anti-racism being a religion is apt. Listen, I respect your opinions/beliefs, but I'm not going to adhere to them just because you will shame me if I don't. I'm not going to chastise you for questioning mine, even though what I'm mostly doing is asking questions and presenting counter arguments from people smarter than myself. Let's just have reasonable discussions/debates. OK?

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 7:22 pm 
Future Drummer

tree_ wrote:
what I'm mostly doing is asking questions and presenting counter arguments

:lol:

You're literally just going in circles.

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 7:26 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Rob wrote:
tree_ wrote:

What I mean is that I'm just posting videos right now of people making counter arguments to the general consensus in this thread. I don't even have a set opinion. Can anyone argue the points made by Coleman Hughes or John McWhorter in this video? They are convincing to me.

What do you believe, Rob? Do you think there's currently a huge problem with systemic racism in USA?

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 7:33 pm 
Future Drummer

tree_ wrote:
Rob wrote:
tree_ wrote:

What I mean is that I'm just posting videos right now of people making counter arguments to the general consensus in this thread. I don't even have a set opinion. Can anyone argue the points made by Coleman Hughes or John McWhorter in this video? They are convincing to me.

What do you believe, Rob? Do you think there's currently a huge problem with systemic racism in USA?

Yes, and there are 3 threads toward the top of this sub-forum, about 200 pages total, where we've all spent the last two months discussing it. So maybe start there?

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 7:37 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Rob wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Rob wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Yes, and there are 3 threads toward the top of this sub-forum, about 200 pages total, where we've all spent the last two months discussing it. So maybe start there?
I don't really want to go combing through 200 pages to get your opinion. Can you please give me one instance of systemic racism currently in the USA?

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 7:38 pm 
Future Drummer

I can't believe some of you are STILL getting trolled by the tree account.

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 7:40 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Employment
Pay gaps
Housing discrimination
Drug arrests
Imprisonment

That should get you going, tree

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 7:41 pm 
Rank This Poster

Tree, the problem is that you're bending over backwards telling us how open-minded you are compared to us while doing nothing that shows any self-awareness as such. Saying "I have an open mind" and then mainlining the Rubin Report is not having an open mind; it's retreating to news sources and material that will tell you what you clearly already believe or want to believe. Plenty of people in this thread have offered instances that indicate there are problems with systemic racism inside (and out of) our criminal justice system; I offered two just yesterday. But you'd rather retreat to what you want to hear.

Which, to be honest, is fine; you're going to believe what you're going to believe, and if you end up on the right than that's where you end up. But at least try to have enough self-awareness to ease up on how open-minded you are compared to the sheep here while simultaneously regurgitating talking points and YouTube videos. It just makes you sound silly.

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 7:41 pm 
Future Drummer

Iholdthepain wrote:

:?:

Maybe some of us don't mind? Pretty obvious what he's been doing.

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 7:42 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Employment
Pay gaps
Housing discrimination
Drug arrests
Imprisonment

That should get you going, tree
There is also employment/pay gap between Russian Americans and other Americans. You can find a pay gap between just about every group. None of this is proof of systemic racism.

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 7:46 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

It's interesting that in the broad spectrum of black voices in publishing or media, tree_ most likes the voice that NO black organization has endorsed and who has a message that, "white people are doing just fine, nothing to see here."

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 7:48 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

digster wrote:
Tree, the problem is that you're bending over backwards telling us how open-minded you are compared to us while doing nothing that shows any self-awareness as such. Saying "I have an open mind" and then mainlining the Rubin Report is not having an open mind; it's retreating to news sources and material that will tell you what you clearly already believe or want to believe. Plenty of people in this thread have offered instances that indicate there are problems with systemic racism inside (and out of) our criminal justice system; I offered two just yesterday. But you'd rather retreat to what you want to hear.

Which, to be honest, is fine; you're going to believe what you're going to believe, and if you end up on the right than that's where you end up. But at least try to have enough self-awareness to ease up on how open-minded you are compared to the sheep here while simultaneously regurgitating talking points and YouTube videos. It just makes you sound silly.
First of all, Dave Rubin doesn't interview just one type of person with one perspective. I like his interview style and the ones I posted were relevant arguments to this board's popular opinion. I thought it'd be interesting to hear your perspectives on what these people had to say but instead I just get that I'm being a troll and contrarian for contrarian's sake. I'm not even "on the right" with what I currently agree with, such as Coleman Hughes' perspective. He is not on the right. His perspective on race is logical. It's not hysterical and mainstream radical left. I still haven't seen one single proof of systemic racism in America today. It is shocking that you all can't provide actual proof yet seem to hold these beliefs so strongly. It is like a religion.

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 7:49 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
It's interesting that in the broad spectrum of black voices in publishing or media, tree_ most likes the voice that NO black organization has endorsed and who has a message that, "white people are doing just fine, nothing to see here."
Because their messages are about getting over the whole race thing and not dwelling on it and navel gazing to the point of absurdity.

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 7:53 pm 
Rank This Poster

Rob wrote:
Iholdthepain wrote:

:?:

Maybe some of us don't mind? Pretty obvious what he's been doing.

I think tree just reminds me of some friends who have undergone a similar thing. It could be scripted out pretty much to the word; someone says that they've seen the light, and transcended party or partisanship, and look down on the lefty sheeple! who are extremely close-minded. We just need to have more of an open mind, and when they start talking, it's basically a Ben Shapiro transcript.

It's not the adherence to a certain way of thinking that's fascinating; it's more than, almost without fail, there's this completely lack of awareness that they've traded one set of talking points for another.

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 7:57 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

I'm just asking for proof. If there's actual proof, you'll have convinced me it exists. Until then, I'm agnostic. This is the same way I approached religion. I'm not right, I'm not racist, I'm just asking questions. With religion, I eventually found that nobody actually has proof, they have faith. Do you have faith or do you have proof?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 76  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate