The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:00 am 
Future Drummer

Bi_3 wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
Those people probably aren't going to make a jury.

Hopefully not, and I am not saying the guy wasnt provoked, it's just getting really close to normalizing physical violence as a form of anti-racism when people with broad social influence respond that way.

Lots of people have felt this way for a long time, doesn't mean the justice system is going to, or that it's a mainstream position. Despite y'all acting like we'll be in Wokeistan tomorrow much of the country is still neutral or actively racist...as evidenced by people still being comfortable throwing the N word around in public.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:44 am 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
We've moved on to approving the killing of elderly people.

we started doing this about a year ago. where you been.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:48 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

spike wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:51 am 
The Master

B wrote:
spike wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

i was thinking more the "fuck mitigations, who cares about the vulnerable" approach adopted by far too many.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:49 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Quote:
Young Freedom Riders John Lewis and James Zwerg stand together after being attacked and beaten by pro-segregationists in Montgomery, Alabama on 20 May 1961.

A mere 60 years ago

PostPosted: Wed June 02, 2021 9:19 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Big oof for the NFL

PostPosted: Fri June 04, 2021 12:34 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

I didn't realize that players take a test that is correlated to IQ as part of the combine. That makes the racial norming seem worse. If cognitive decline can be measured by a current IQ test and comparing it to one at age 22 it seems like there's a very straightforward way to measure the harm in the interim and compensate accordingly.

PostPosted: Fri June 04, 2021 1:06 am 
Looks Like a Cat

What Happens When Doctors Can't Tell the Truth?

https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/what-h ... cant-speak

PostPosted: Wed June 16, 2021 1:43 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Pre-Floyd take on Kendi and DiAngelo:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 ... ine-racism

Good background for those who have not (or choose not) to engage their work directly

PostPosted: Wed June 16, 2021 6:30 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

https://www.jweekly.com/2021/06/15/stanford-therapists-allege-hostile-climate-for-jews-in-the-workplace/

PostPosted: Wed June 16, 2021 10:59 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Trust the science:

PostPosted: Fri June 18, 2021 11:07 pm 
Lost Cat

:finger:

PostPosted: Thu June 24, 2021 3:22 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu June 24, 2021 7:21 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

:roll:

PostPosted: Thu June 24, 2021 7:34 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Bi_3 wrote:

:thumbsup:

It's amazing how quickly this talking point propagated across liberal social media. Completely organic I'm sure.

Another favorite is "people who criticize CRT can't define CRT" (then they ignore the multitude of responses accurately defining it).

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu June 24, 2021 7:45 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

:roll:

PostPosted: Thu June 24, 2021 7:50 pm 
Production Police

1. Racism hasn't really been taught in public schools before, not in any comprehensive way

2. She goes on in the thread to argue that CRT curriculum is a good idea, it's just that the libs are pitching it wrong

3. lol @ "Substack coming soon!" Everyone and their fucking substack. As if it's any more legitimate than a Weebly page.

PostPosted: Thu June 24, 2021 8:14 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I'd be terrified to learn what "comprehensive education on race" really means.

Are the flagellant whips supplied or do the students have to purchase them on their own?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu June 24, 2021 8:42 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:
1. Racism hasn't really been taught in public schools before, not in any comprehensive way

2. She goes on in the thread to argue that CRT curriculum is a good idea, it's just that the libs are pitching it wrong

3. lol @ "Substack coming soon!" Everyone and their fucking substack. As if it's any more legitimate than a Weebly page.

I'd say she does not take a position on if it's good or bad, but argues that lying about your actions and intentions like in the Noah tweet is likely to get you into more trouble than just being honest.

But, because it bears repeating, expanding teaching about the history of racism is not CRT. This "it's just teaching kids their history" things is a lie that is being repeated again and again by the left in order to make it the autonomic fallback when ever you hear or read anything about "CRT". Just like you hear "CRT" being cited as the cause of things like Diversity training at work and BLM protests coming from the right. They are both wrong and a cursory reading of work by Delgado or Bell should be enough for them to clear this up if they cared about the truth.

Here's the problem, from Woke Elementary:

Quote:
An elementary school in Cupertino, California—a Silicon Valley community with a median home price of $2.3 million—recently forced a class of third-graders to deconstruct their racial identities, then rank themselves according to their “power and privilege.”

Based on whistleblower documents and parents familiar with the session, a third-grade teacher at R.I. Meyerholz Elementary School began the lesson on “social identities” during a math class. The teacher asked all students to create an “identity map,” listing their race, class, gender, religion, family structure, and other characteristics. The teacher explained that the students live in a “dominant culture” of “white, middle class, cisgender, educated, able-bodied, Christian, English speaker[s],” who, according to the lesson, “created and maintained” this culture in order “to hold power and stay in power.”

Next, reading from This Book Is Antiracist, the students learned that “those with privilege have power over others” and that “folx who do not benefit from their social identities, who are in the subordinate culture, have little to no privilege and power.” As an example, the reading states that “a white, cisgender man, who is able-bodied, heterosexual, considered handsome and speaks English has more privilege than a Black transgender woman.” In some cases, because of the principle of intersectionality, “there are parts of us that hold some power and other parts that are oppressed,” even within a single individual.

Following this discussion, the teacher had the students deconstruct their own intersectional identities and “circle the identities that hold power and privilege” on their identity maps, ranking their traits according to the hierarchy. In a related assignment, the students were asked to write short essays describing which aspects of their identities “hold power and privilege” and which do not. The students were expected to produce “at least one full page of writing.” As an example, the presentation included a short paragraph about transgenderism and nonbinary sexuality.

Please note the bolded part: a third grade math class. This is what people are trying to ban, not teaching kids about racism as the Trevor Noah's of the world are trying to trick you into believing. As Sully puts it: "This is not teaching about critical race theory; it is teaching in critical race theory." And if you think I am wrong, go point out where one of these laws actually restricts or bans the expansion of education about America's colonialist past and the systemic racism that exists today.

And from the edweek article which I cannot seem to copy from:

Quote:
Critical race theory emerged out of postmodernist thought, which tends to be skeptical of the idea of universal values, objective knowledge, individual merit, Enlightenment rationalism, and liberalism—tenets that conservatives tend to hold dear.

These are not just tenets that conservatives hold dear, these are the basis for the entire global system of education. As well as minor things like democracy, economics, and science. One might think a teacher would want to keep these ideas front and center, but alas this is clown world.

PostPosted: Thu June 24, 2021 8:44 pm 
Production Police

BurtReynolds wrote:
I'd be terrified to learn what "comprehensive education on race" really means.

Are the flagellant whips supplied or do the students have to purchase them on their own?

Look I’m not any more interested in a white-shame education than you are. But I’m all for an education that identifies critical points of economic or power disparities, and shows how those disparities can be addressed.

Also fuck Columbus. Call him out for violent racism and bring back civics class. End of rant.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 76  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate