Switch to full style
Engage in discussions about news, politics, etc.
Post a reply

Systemic / Institutional / Societal Racism

Wed June 10, 2020 3:57 pm

Looks like you're having an episode again, Burt--hope you feel better soon.
Last edited by Mickey on Mon September 26, 2022 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Black Lives Matter

Wed June 10, 2020 5:24 pm

Wed June 10, 2020 7:23 pm

tree_ wrote:

I was going to give that a watch, even though I knew that guy was going to be some kind of weird black Republican, but 2 minutes in, he's talking about playing jazz trombone at Columbia, blah, blah, blah ... I'm out.

Wed June 10, 2020 7:26 pm

"weird black republican" is actually a racist thing to say

Wed June 10, 2020 7:37 pm

Possibly. I don't claim perfection. I keep trying.

Wed June 10, 2020 7:39 pm

It's OK. I'm just tired of everyone falsely calling people racists and then wanted to prop this up as an actual example of judging someone based on the color of their skin, as if it's weird for black people to be republican because black people should all think alike. This is actually something he addresses in the video, ironically.

Wed June 10, 2020 7:50 pm

No, I don't mind some introspection about what I said. Avoiding the discussion is the problem. Maybe it's wrong to assume all blacks are liberals just because the Republican party has shown unabashed anger at an policy that attempts to correct systemic racism.

But I'm definitely not going to slog through that boring ass video to find out.

Wed June 10, 2020 7:58 pm

Maybe systemic racism is almost entirely a thing of the past. Maybe there are other issues/forces at play holding groups of people down.

Wed June 10, 2020 7:59 pm

Nope

Wed June 10, 2020 8:04 pm

Maybe

Wed June 10, 2020 8:06 pm

empirically, nope

Wed June 10, 2020 8:07 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:empirically, nope
Show me the facts, please.

Wed June 10, 2020 8:08 pm

Do your own homework, please

Wed June 10, 2020 8:09 pm

But you're the one who said "empirically". It's on you to show your work. All I said was "maybe". I've done the work that doesn't convince me already.

Wed June 10, 2020 8:11 pm

tree_ wrote:But you're the one who said "empirically". It's on you to show your work. All I said was "maybe". I've done the work that doesn't convince me already.

No. The onus is on you to show that systemic racism is a thing of the past.

Wed June 10, 2020 8:11 pm

I'm not doing this with you. It's fun for you. It's not fun for anyone else.

Wed June 10, 2020 8:12 pm

wease wrote:
tree_ wrote:But you're the one who said "empirically". It's on you to show your work. All I said was "maybe". I've done the work that doesn't convince me already.

I said MAYBE. Did you see that? I said that I don't know. I don't have proof either way. I DON'T KNOW. I suspect you don't know either. It is fun to be on the bandwagon though, isn't it?
Last edited by tree_ on Wed June 10, 2020 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed June 10, 2020 8:13 pm

Goddamn, Joe. You’re hot as a two-dollar pistol today.

Wed June 10, 2020 8:14 pm

tree_ wrote:
wease wrote:

I said MAYBE. Did you see that? I said that I don't know. I don't have proof either way. I DON'T KNOW. I suspect you don't know either. It is fun to be on the bandwagon though, isn't it?

Joe’s right. I don’t know why I ever clicked to see your posts. It’s just the same old bullshit with you.

Wed June 10, 2020 8:15 pm

Can you show us your work (so far)?
Post a reply