The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 136  Next
 Post subject: Re: Post here when something gets CANCELLED
PostPosted: Wed November 10, 2021 9:01 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

spike wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Quote:
The Spotsylvania County School Board has directed staff to begin removing books that contain “sexually explicit” material from library shelves and report on the number of books that have been removed at a special called meeting next week.

The directive came after a parent raised concerns at the School Board’s meeting Monday about books available through the Riverbend High School’s digital library app.

The board also requested a report next week on the process by which books are selected for inclusion in digital and hard copy library collections at the different school levels and indicated that it will consider a division-wide library audit.

The criteria for pulling books from circulation this week is “sexually explicit,” but the board plans to refine how material is determined to be “objectionable” for a further review of library holdings.

The board voted 6–0 to order the removal. Berkeley District representative Erin Grampp was not in attendance for the vote on that issue.

Two board members, Courtland representative Rabih Abuismail and Livingston representative Kirk Twigg, said they would like to see the removed books burned.

“I think we should throw those books in a fire,” Abuismail said, and Twigg said he wants to “see the books before we burn them so we can identify within our community that we are eradicating this bad stuff.”

The mother said during public comments that she was initially alarmed by “LGBTQIA” fiction that she said was immediately made available upon accessing the library app. After doing more research, she discovered a book in the collection that she found more upsetting.

The book, “33 Snowfish” by Adam Rapp, concerns three homeless teenagers attempting to escape from pasts that include sexual abuse, prostitution and drug addiction.

LOL. So dumb spike. do better.

PostPosted: Wed November 10, 2021 10:50 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I think parents should have a big say in what their kids are taught.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu November 11, 2021 11:50 am 
Mind Your Tanners

BurtReynolds wrote:

They do.

PostPosted: Thu November 11, 2021 12:25 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Ya'll should be happy. Atwood is a TERF.

PostPosted: Thu November 11, 2021 2:01 pm 
mXn

Bi_3 wrote:
spike wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Quote:
The Spotsylvania County School Board has directed staff to begin removing books that contain “sexually explicit” material from library shelves and report on the number of books that have been removed at a special called meeting next week.

The directive came after a parent raised concerns at the School Board’s meeting Monday about books available through the Riverbend High School’s digital library app.

The board also requested a report next week on the process by which books are selected for inclusion in digital and hard copy library collections at the different school levels and indicated that it will consider a division-wide library audit.

The criteria for pulling books from circulation this week is “sexually explicit,” but the board plans to refine how material is determined to be “objectionable” for a further review of library holdings.

The board voted 6–0 to order the removal. Berkeley District representative Erin Grampp was not in attendance for the vote on that issue.

Two board members, Courtland representative Rabih Abuismail and Livingston representative Kirk Twigg, said they would like to see the removed books burned.

“I think we should throw those books in a fire,” Abuismail said, and Twigg said he wants to “see the books before we burn them so we can identify within our community that we are eradicating this bad stuff.”

The mother said during public comments that she was initially alarmed by “LGBTQIA” fiction that she said was immediately made available upon accessing the library app. After doing more research, she discovered a book in the collection that she found more upsetting.

The book, “33 Snowfish” by Adam Rapp, concerns three homeless teenagers attempting to escape from pasts that include sexual abuse, prostitution and drug addiction.

LOL. So dumb spike. do better.

Is that the guy who just lost a small, inconsequential election that nobody was really paying any attention to?

PostPosted: Thu November 11, 2021 5:21 pm 
Future Drummer

elliseamos wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

They do.

You can tell the ones who do, they send their kids to private schools.

PostPosted: Fri November 12, 2021 1:02 am 
Mind Your Tanners

surfndestroy wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

They do.

I know it's not everywhere, but often the school board is voted into being, just like the state reps & the governors. Seems like parent voice to me.

PostPosted: Fri November 12, 2021 1:51 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

elliseamos wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

They do.

I know it's not everywhere, but often the school board is voted into being, just like the state reps & the governors. Seems like parent voice to me.

If you need to micro-manage your kids' education more than that, it's time for homeschool.

Parents running for school board b/c they didn't like something their kid was taught usually ends up going really well. We had one of those this time around. They wanted to make sure CRT wasn't taught, but they declined survey questions about special needs, infrastructure, COVID, and testing. That was gonna be a quality candidate!

PostPosted: Fri November 12, 2021 2:39 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

elliseamos wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

They do.

Not all voters are parents and we've seen a tragic number of times where parents put partisanship above their desires for their children. What might be missing here is that parents didnt really know the extent of what was happening in the classroom until they were turned into substitute teachers during the pandemic and many are pissed. Maybe one answer is to treat school boards like other government functions and have everything public and live on the internet except for competitive procurements. And maybe livestreaming classrooms to parents should be considered as well.

PostPosted: Fri November 12, 2021 2:45 pm 
mXn

Video surveillance of all classrooms at all times?

Parents quitting their jobs and switching the channel off Kyle Trial so they can watch their kids in school all day?

Um no thanks.

PostPosted: Fri November 12, 2021 2:57 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Bammer wrote:

Parents quitting their jobs and switching the channel off Kyle Trial so they can watch their kids in school all day?

Um no thanks.

It would be a good way to prevent bullying and classroom violence.

PostPosted: Fri November 12, 2021 3:00 pm 
mXn

Bi_3 wrote:
Bammer wrote:

Um no thanks.

Maybe the footage available if ever needed - but school as a live TV show? Weird.

PostPosted: Fri November 12, 2021 3:30 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Body cams for teachers! What could go wrong?

Again, flipped classroom would be great (students watch a recorded class lesson at home and work through the material with their teacher(s) in person during the day), if only every kid had a stable home, internet connection, and a parent/guardian that cared and/or supports education.

PostPosted: Fri November 12, 2021 5:56 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
Bammer wrote:

Um no thanks.

Only for the kids whose parents can afford to have one parent sit at home and watch school all day.

PostPosted: Thu December 16, 2021 7:23 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Jeff Garlin?

PostPosted: Thu December 16, 2021 7:26 pm 
Production Police

Sounds like he made a lot of inappropriate jokes on a set that already weathered a scandal. Dumb. But maybe not a scumbag, just a goofball?

PostPosted: Thu December 16, 2021 7:55 pm 
Production Police

chris noth

PostPosted: Thu December 16, 2021 10:51 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:
chris noth

Dude can’t catch a break this week. What did he do?

PostPosted: Fri December 17, 2021 1:26 am 
mXn

Jorge wrote:
Jeff Garlin?

If they take Curb off the air before I binge the rest of it, somebody is going to pay. Dearly.

PostPosted: Fri December 17, 2021 12:43 pm 
Major Dude

Bammer wrote:
Jorge wrote:
Jeff Garlin?

If they take Curb off the air before I binge the rest of it, somebody is going to pay. Dearly.

Even if his excuses are true, he has to know that just saying “it’s comedy, I’m a comedian” in this day and age aren’t acceptable.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 136  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate