The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166 ... 177  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Protest Thread
PostPosted: Sat January 23, 2021 2:50 am 
The Master

Lol that’s fair

PostPosted: Sat January 23, 2021 7:32 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I didn't see a Russian thread

https://twitter.com/Lucian_Kim/status/1 ... 2274577408

PostPosted: Sat January 23, 2021 8:38 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

The Town wrote:
I didn't see a Russian thread

Take your pick:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6266&hilit=Russia

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11115&hilit=Putin

PostPosted: Fri January 29, 2021 7:56 pm 
Gone

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/edit ... 23219.html

JUST RUN THEM OVER?!

PostPosted: Fri January 29, 2021 8:46 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

verb_to_trust wrote:
https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/editorials/article248823219.html

JUST RUN THEM OVER?!

"Encouraging a driver to run down a protester is bad public policy."

Agree to disagree.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun January 31, 2021 3:58 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

PostPosted: Sun January 31, 2021 4:08 am 
Mind Your Tanners

simple schoolboy wrote:

Yes, pople blocking traffic in support of human rights is exactly the same as blocking traffic so people can't use their right to a vaccine... for themselves.

PostPosted: Sun January 31, 2021 4:26 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

elliseamos wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

Yes, pople blocking traffic in support of human rights is exactly the same as blocking traffic so people can't use their right to a vaccine... for themselves.

Giving up the goat my man. Only your team will ever be in a position to differentiate between worthy and unworthy causes?

Some of these people feel strongly that the vaccine will cause harm to the recepients. Thats much closer to direct action/ effect than randomly closing roads/ freeways to 'raise awareness'. Please explain the connection from stopping random motorists in the street and systematic police racism.

PostPosted: Sun January 31, 2021 4:28 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

"It's ok when we do it."

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun January 31, 2021 4:29 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
"It's ok when we do it."

Thats all I've heard since 1/6. Prior to that, its, "mostly peaceful".

PostPosted: Sun January 31, 2021 5:54 am 

Related weird story a couple of nights ago in town: https://www.koin.com/local/clark-county ... n-protest/

I saw a video of one guy taking pepper spray to the face and spitting it out like it was water. Maybe there is something to the high resistances of anti-vaxxers after all.

PostPosted: Sun January 31, 2021 6:28 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
Related weird story a couple of nights ago in town: https://www.koin.com/local/clark-county ... n-protest/

I saw a video of one guy taking pepper spray to the face and spitting it out like it was water. Maybe there is something to the high resistances of anti-vaxxers after all.

Dispatch only heard that the patient requested release well after the angry mob showed up? Hard to argue against the utility of the angry mob in this case.

This is how things get resolved in small towns throughout the world all the time. Americans should stop being so defferential to authority figures that have not demonstrated their utility.

PostPosted: Sun January 31, 2021 1:34 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

simple schoolboy wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

Giving up the goat my man. Only your team will ever be in a position to differentiate between worthy and unworthy causes?

Some of these people feel strongly that the vaccine will cause harm to the recepients. Thats much closer to direct action/ effect than randomly closing roads/ freeways to 'raise awareness'. Please explain the connection from stopping random motorists in the street and systematic police racism.
You make it sound a lot like abortion clinic shaming, ss.

In my mind -- hazy and inarticulate as it is -- a march down a highway in support of all people being treated equally is demonstrating (purposefully indirectly) to demand a forum/conversation. Unlike the ineffective and counterproductive "storming of police stations/courthouses." I understand it ends up blocking passage, but there are other means to get from A to B (in most cases)

Blocking people from getting into a place, or making it unsafe to attempt to do so, is not providing any choice of seeking out the vax or abortion in another way. It's not forum/conversation. It's saying I'm right. I know best. This won't happen. Not "shouldn't", won't because this is the only place it can happen.

PostPosted: Sun January 31, 2021 2:38 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun January 31, 2021 3:49 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

elliseamos wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

In my mind -- hazy and inarticulate as it is -- a march down a highway in support of all people being treated equally is demonstrating (purposefully indirectly) to demand a forum/conversation. Unlike the ineffective and counterproductive "storming of police stations/courthouses." I understand it ends up blocking passage, but there are other means to get from A to B (in most cases)

Blocking people from getting into a place, or making it unsafe to attempt to do so, is not providing any choice of seeking out the vax or abortion in another way. It's not forum/conversation. It's saying I'm right. I know best. This won't happen. Not "shouldn't", won't because this is the only place it can happen.

You might be unintentionally projecting your ethos onto this. Blocking traffic is not an unharmful action as people need to get to their work or school or a hospital or make their delivery or whatever. You think some shift manager will think twice about firing you because you didn't finish your route due to protestors on the road? The other side of this is: do you think the protestors care about the impacts vs bringing attention to themselves their cause.

And you may say it doesn't restrict other's choice in the same way, and there is truth there, but you should consider the motivation of the other side (I am not defending them BTW). The anti-vaxxers truly believe you are permanently damaging your health and your children's health with an insufficiently tested version of an already dangerous behavior and no one will hear them out otherwise. There is no space in our political conversation for them, so they seek to disrupt to bring attention to something they feel is causing suffering nationwide. Sound familiar?

PostPosted: Sun January 31, 2021 4:15 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

You might be unintentionally projecting your ethos onto this. Blocking traffic is not an unharmful action as people need to get to their work or school or a hospital or make their delivery or whatever. You think some shift manager will think twice about firing you because you didn't finish your route due to protestors on the road? The other side of this is: do you think the protestors care about the impacts vs bringing attention to themselves their cause.

And you may say it doesn't restrict other's choice in the same way, and there is truth there, but you should consider the motivation of the other side (I am not defending them BTW). The anti-vaxxers truly believe you are permanently damaging your health and your children's health with an insufficiently tested version of an already dangerous behavior and no one will hear them out otherwise. There is no space in our political conversation for them, so they seek to disrupt to bring attention to something they feel is causing suffering nationwide. Sound familiar?
should we ask the shift manager if the people can go back to work w/o their vax?

This is a stupid reply, bi.

PostPosted: Sun January 31, 2021 4:57 pm 
Gone

JUST.RUN.THEM.OVER.

PostPosted: Sun January 31, 2021 5:03 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Probably just me but I see a difference between: “I couldn’t get my vaccine because protestors blocked traffic” and “I couldnt deliver the pizzas because protestors blocked traffic”.

But both are harmful, selfish actions and that’s my point.

Last edited by Bi_3 on Sun January 31, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun January 31, 2021 5:05 pm 
Gone

But sometimes the protestors are the ones who ordered the pizza

PostPosted: Sun January 31, 2021 5:19 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
Probably just me but I see a difference between: “I couldn’t get my vaccine because protestors blocked traffic” and “I couldnt deliver the pizzas because protestors blocked traffic”.

But both are harmful, selfish actions and that’s my point.

I don't see protest as selfish, unless you're forcing others to agree with you.

Anti-vaxxers are forcing others to not get vaxxed. Clearly, life has continued to be racially unequal despite these job losses and these late pizzas you speak of.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166 ... 177  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate