The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 177  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Protest Thread
PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 9:26 pm 
Production Police

BurtReynolds wrote:
digster wrote:
I think what you're seeing in this thread (and honestly, far more overtly in the Republican Party writ large) is befuddlement and frustration as to why the usual culture war stuff isn't working this time, at least thus far. They don't get why they're continuing to craft message ads about those violent protestors that are coming for you and your kids, and they're continuing to fail at scaring the suburbs.

But it's not all that surprising; pearl-clutching about caravans of people from South America coming to invade the country didn't save them in 2018, either. That it's not working now doesn't mean it's not going to work in the end. But there certainly seems to be confusion as to why it's not working now.

No that's not it.

I think this is a large part of it. See the MT article I posted in the 2020 thread, in which Sen. Daines admits that his constituents don’t really care about NRA ratings right now. They want to know how they’ll pay rent next month.

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 9:26 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Rob wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Speaking of snark...

Bi_3 wrote:
Imagine a world in which these people put half of the energy they spend on trashcan shields and poop bombs into things like tutoring kids or providing free-of-charge daycare services. You know, things that actually help improve black lives.

Now imagine asking them to do that.

I really feel like 2020 is becoming a lesson in what happens when no one listens to the people using these proper channels/methods, and the wave just continues to build until it breaks in this way. The questions isn’t “why aren’t people doing it this way,” it’s “why didn’t people listen back then?”

What is it that society missed?

Looks like the message being completely consumed and perverted to take away from black lives mattering.

Black people in the PNW don't have the numbers to prevent it from happening, though to be honest, it happens anyway.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 9:27 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Rob wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Speaking of snark...

Bi_3 wrote:
Imagine a world in which these people put half of the energy they spend on trashcan shields and poop bombs into things like tutoring kids or providing free-of-charge daycare services. You know, things that actually help improve black lives.

I really feel like 2020 is becoming a lesson in what happens when no one listens to the people using these proper channels/methods, and the wave just continues to build until it breaks in this way. The questions isn’t “why aren’t people doing it this way,” it’s “why didn’t people listen back then?”

And how do night after night attacks on the federal courthouse in Portland help that cause?

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 9:28 pm 
Future Drummer

Bi_3 wrote:
Rob wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Speaking of snark...

Bi_3 wrote:

Building the proper supports for the type of stuff you’re talking about, like free (quality) daycare, which would go a long way. These things are lefty pipe dreams most of the time, right? I don’t see how “defund the police” becomes a thing unless resources are being routed to institutions that can’t really solve the problems. These ideas have been around forever. People are listening now that it’s been forced.

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 9:30 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
digster wrote:
I think what you're seeing in this thread (and honestly, far more overtly in the Republican Party writ large) is befuddlement and frustration as to why the usual culture war stuff isn't working this time, at least thus far. They don't get why they're continuing to craft message ads about those violent protestors that are coming for you and your kids, and they're continuing to fail at scaring the suburbs.

But it's not all that surprising; pearl-clutching about caravans of people from South America coming to invade the country didn't save them in 2018, either. That it's not working now doesn't mean it's not going to work in the end. But there certainly seems to be confusion as to why it's not working now.

No that's not it.

I think this is a large part of it. See the MT article I posted in the 2020 thread, in which Sen. Daines admits that his constituents don’t really care about NRA ratings right now. They want to know how they’ll pay rent next month.

Exactly. If people think BLM is anything more than a rallying cry at this point, they are blind. This is about groups exploiting economic desperation and fear.

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 9:31 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Rob wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Rob wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Speaking of snark...

Bi_3 wrote:

Building the proper supports for the type of stuff you’re talking about, like free (quality) daycare, which would go a long way. These things are lefty pipe dreams most of the time, right? I don’t see how “defund the police” becomes a thing unless resources are being routed to institutions that can’t really solve the problems. These ideas have been around forever. People are listening now that it’s been forced.

I mean, off the top of my head? Federal Troops being deployed, kidnapping people off the street, abusing anti-racism protesters sure seems like it isn't going to have a positive affect on Black lives.

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 9:32 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Then why attack federal property?

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 9:33 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Rob wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Speaking of snark...

Bi_3 wrote:

And how do night after night attacks on the federal courthouse in Portland help that cause?

You keep posting like there was a strategy meeting. There's no one that figures out how their actions help. There's no Antifa. There's just people that are sick of getting shit on by their government freaking out because when they came to tell their government that their government shot them in face with rubber bullets.

"Hey Joe, this cop shot me with rubber bullets and pepper spray when I held up a sign that said 'Black Lives Matter'."

"Welp, let's send an A-53B form back to committee and have them assess our next best possible strategy for moving civil rights forward at their next committee roundhouse."

"Yay!"

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 9:34 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
digster wrote:

No that's not it.

Exactly. If people think BLM is anything more than a rallying cry at this point, they are blind. This is about groups exploiting economic desperation and fear.

Not fear, no. Let that myth go. But otherwise, what you seem incapable of understanding is that economic desperation and BLM aren't mutually exclusive. You've said that we should "listen to actual Black voices, RM." Are you doing the same? Are you listening to the Black voices that don't conform to you preconceived political ideals? I'm sure you are. I probably just missed those posts in all of the clatter.

Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:

Because... that's where the federal... troops... are...

Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:

If you were being illegally assaulted and abused by federal officers, why the fuck wouldn't you?

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 9:35 pm 
Production Police

Bi_3 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
digster wrote:

No that's not it.

Maybe I misunderstood something, but that’s not exactly what I was trying to say.

The BLM movement is long overdue and wholly authentic. The co-opting of the movement by white Portlanders is embarrassing, as is the Federal response. The movement should be peaceful, and the Fed response should be reasonable. Everything happening in PDX is a damn shame, and not helpful to either party’s agenda.

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 9:37 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Most Republican politicians responded to this with complete spinelessness, and it was devastating to their election hopes. They didn't even enter into the "culture war" (which is of course what all of this actually is part of). The "culture war stuff" works more slowly than knee jerk reactionism of dems, but works better than trying to grovel to people who have spent the last four years in a state of hysterical terror that they are Nazis. But it's too little too late I think. Trump had the power (thanks to Obama) to form task forces to prevent much of the worst rioting, and did nothing, thinking lefty mayors would get all the blame. Doesn't work when you're the president.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon July 27, 2020 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 9:57 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

If you were being illegally assaulted and abused by federal officers, why the fuck wouldn't you?

Now which of those two things came first there friend?

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/07/27/myt ... and-oregon

Last edited by Bi_3 on Mon July 27, 2020 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 9:59 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
digster wrote:

No that's not it.

Maybe I misunderstood something, but that’s not exactly what I was trying to say.

The BLM movement is long overdue and wholly authentic. The co-opting of the movement by white Portlanders is embarrassing, as is the Federal response. The movement should be peaceful, and the Fed response should be reasonable. Everything happening in PDX is a damn shame, and not helpful to either party’s agenda.

We are very much on the same page here. There seems to be some folks here who are struggling with this.

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 10:28 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
digster wrote:

No that's not it.

We are very much on the same page here. There seems to be some folks here who are struggling with this.

Just Burt as far as I can tell.

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 10:29 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Um...

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 10:47 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

durdencommatyler wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Because... that's where the federal... troops... are...

The Marshals Service has always been there, normally in different uniforms. BORTAC is new, but understandably they need some backup after Portland Police largely retreated.

The only winning move would be to remove all the files and equipment, surrender the building and let it burn. Of the largely incoherent demands, thats about the only thing the feds could deliver.

I think its a pretty solid plan, and builds on Trump moving the Bureau of Land Management to fly over land. We just move all Federal Courts and departments to the middle of bum fuck nowhere. I'm sure that'll turn out great for progressives.

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2020 11:02 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

GTFO!

PostPosted: Tue July 28, 2020 1:32 am 
Mind Your Tanners

This is a month old, but it sill rings true.

The contract is broken.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 177  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate