The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 177  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Protest Thread
PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 4:39 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

simple schoolboy wrote:
pepperwhiteMFC wrote:

The peaceful protest in my city had a couple hundred white people, 2-3 “instigators” that instigated nothing, and this really tough hombre on his way to a Call of Duty convention.

10 rounder in the mag well, 30 round mags in the chest rig... California?

Colorado. He’s taking advantage of “open carry.”

I can’t stand these kind of idiots.

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 4:46 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

pepperwhiteMFC wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
pepperwhiteMFC wrote:

The peaceful protest in my city had a couple hundred white people, 2-3 “instigators” that instigated nothing, and this really tough hombre on his way to a Call of Duty convention.

I'd appreciate the right to try to protect neighborhood businesses with appropriate tools, but thats out of the cards here.

Open carry is generally a bad idea, but in this situation its probably preferable to cops or national guardsmen.

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 5:06 am 

simple schoolboy wrote:
pepperwhiteMFC wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
pepperwhiteMFC wrote:

I'd appreciate the right to try to protect neighborhood businesses with appropriate tools, but thats out of the cards here.

Open carry is generally a bad idea, but in this situation its probably preferable to cops or national guardsmen.

I don’t think he was necessary considering this is Mayberry compared to Denver. He would be arrested in Denver for this outfit.

(Or maybe he actually deterred the thousands of looters that would have been here otherwise.)

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 5:34 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Jorge wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
People in my suburban neighborhood are freaking out on Facebook when someone sets off fireworks. "Are the protests coming here now?!"

JFC

Do people randomly set off fireworks in your neighborhood? Is it some sort of holiday or is that just a common thing in the US?

Happens in my neihgborhood in LA all the time, year round. They're inevitably followed up by the millionth notification on nextdoor by someone asking if it's a bomb or gunshots. Peeps also always freak out out about coyotes when they've been out in the neihgborhood literally every night the ten years i've lived here.

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 6:11 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

pepperwhiteMFC wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
pepperwhiteMFC wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
pepperwhiteMFC wrote:

I don’t think he was necessary considering this is Mayberry compared to Denver. He would be arrested in Denver for this outfit.

(Or maybe he actually deterred the thousands of looters that would have been here otherwise.)

Does Mayberry or CO state have a ban on 30 round mags?

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 12:02 pm 

simple schoolboy wrote:
pepperwhiteMFC wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
pepperwhiteMFC wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
pepperwhiteMFC wrote:

Does Mayberry or CO state have a ban on 30 round mags?

I think there’s a ban on them, but certain magazines either made before a certain year, or after a certain year, are “grandfathered in.”

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 3:30 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Intellectuals:

Quote:
"In every major city, it is abundantly clear that these uprisings are being led by young black people. The promulgating of outside agitator myths is an affront to the agency of communities organizing on the front lines of these battles. The divide-and-conquer strategy is as old and tired as any “bad protester versus good protester” dyad, which again and again distracts from the plague of police violence attending every moment of antiracist protest. It just so happens that it was a strategy favored by the Ku Klux Klan. In the 1930s, the Klan issued flyers in Alabama stating that “paid organizers for the communists are only trying” to get black people “in trouble.” As James Baldwin wrote in 1961, “It is a notion which contains a gratuitous insult implying, as it does, that Negroes can make no move unless they are manipulated.”"

Actual Black people effected by what is happening:

RM:

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 4:18 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

pepperwhiteMFC wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
pepperwhiteMFC wrote:

see, this is what i don't understand. you have two constitutionally protected freedoms: (1) the freedom of assembly (and relatedly, speech), and (2) the right to bear arms (which i wholeheartedly don't agree with, but that's another philosophical debate for another day). the government feels that it is entirely within its right to suppress one (while officials and politicians support it at worst, and stand idly mute at best). yet the government says it has its hands tied with the latter and nobody bats an eyelash. how can we exalt one over the other? since when is there a line with one but not the other?

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 4:26 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Reflecting this morning on how protests might be the defining political story of our time. If we survive the boomers, this nation is eventually going to be governed by those generations who have marched after mass shootings, marched with pussy hats on, and absolutely refused to stop marching for George Floyd.

So many of tomorrow’s politicians will have stories about how they first met each other at a protest. So many future voters will have had their first real moment of political anger during a moment when the nation itself was in the streets. Today’s middle aged Democrats were raised by circumstance to be tepid. They grew up under the 1980’s Americana fetishism and started their adulthoods surrounded by post-9/11 reactive patriotism. They are insecure, slow to take a stand (if they can manage the will at all), and can be convinced they’re losing even as they cross the goddamn finish line.

Tomorrow’s Democratic Party will be something altogether different.

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 4:44 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

McParadigm wrote:
Reflecting this morning on how protests might be the defining political story of our time. If we survive the boomers, this nation is eventually going to be governed by those generations who have marched after mass shootings, marched with pussy hats on, and absolutely refused to stop marching for George Floyd.

So many of tomorrow’s politicians will have stories about how they first met each other at a protest. So many future voters will have had their first real moment of political anger during a moment when the nation itself was in the streets. Today’s middle aged Democrats were raised by circumstance to be tepid. They grew up under the 1980’s Americana fetishism and started their adulthoods surrounded by post-9/11 reactive patriotism. They are insecure, slow to take a stand (if they can manage the will at all), and can be convinced they’re losing even as they cross the goddamn finish line.

:bammer:

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 5:45 pm 
Gone

I used to work for a 1960s hippie when I was in high school. By 2000s he worked at a nuclear power plant and pretty much had all the opposite viewpoints he did when he was younger.

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 5:56 pm 
Future Drummer

Toots McSharty wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

:bammer:

No kidding. I think McParadigm needs to write for a paper, or blog, or whatever.

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 6:23 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

verb_to_trust wrote:
I used to work for a 1960s hippie when I was in high school. By 2000s he worked at a nuclear power plant and pretty much had all the opposite viewpoints he did when he was younger.

Of course there are global historical reasons for this which are unlikely to repeat.

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 6:27 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

macphisto wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
"Trump’s anti-antifa statements commit rhetorical violence, and provoke physical violence, in a number of directions. For one, it is a historical racist trope to suggest that black communities could not rise up and self-organize huge revolutionary action. In every major city, it is abundantly clear that these uprisings are being led by young black people. The promulgating of outside agitator myths is an affront to the agency of communities organizing on the front lines of these battles. The divide-and-conquer strategy is as old and tired as any “bad protester versus good protester” dyad, which again and again distracts from the plague of police violence attending every moment of antiracist protest. It just so happens that it was a strategy favored by the Ku Klux Klan. In the 1930s, the Klan issued flyers in Alabama stating that “paid organizers for the communists are only trying” to get black people “in trouble.” As James Baldwin wrote in 1961, “It is a notion which contains a gratuitous insult implying, as it does, that Negroes can make no move unless they are manipulated.”"

https://theintercept.com/2020/06/02/tru ... signation/

So it's not out-of-towners, not antifa, and not white nationalists, but black protestors turned rioters that are responsible for the looting and arson?

Bi_3 wrote:
Intellectuals:

Quote:
"In every major city, it is abundantly clear that these uprisings are being led by young black people. The promulgating of outside agitator myths is an affront to the agency of communities organizing on the front lines of these battles. The divide-and-conquer strategy is as old and tired as any “bad protester versus good protester” dyad, which again and again distracts from the plague of police violence attending every moment of antiracist protest. It just so happens that it was a strategy favored by the Ku Klux Klan. In the 1930s, the Klan issued flyers in Alabama stating that “paid organizers for the communists are only trying” to get black people “in trouble.” As James Baldwin wrote in 1961, “It is a notion which contains a gratuitous insult implying, as it does, that Negroes can make no move unless they are manipulated.”"

RM:

i don't see the article I posted and what the resident of that neighborhood is saying as being different. I feel like they're making the same point.

The majority of people are paying attention to the mayhem and attributing it to certain groups, whereas the actual protest is black led.

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 6:37 pm 
Rank This Poster

elliseamos wrote:
macphisto wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
"Trump’s anti-antifa statements commit rhetorical violence, and provoke physical violence, in a number of directions. For one, it is a historical racist trope to suggest that black communities could not rise up and self-organize huge revolutionary action. In every major city, it is abundantly clear that these uprisings are being led by young black people. The promulgating of outside agitator myths is an affront to the agency of communities organizing on the front lines of these battles. The divide-and-conquer strategy is as old and tired as any “bad protester versus good protester” dyad, which again and again distracts from the plague of police violence attending every moment of antiracist protest. It just so happens that it was a strategy favored by the Ku Klux Klan. In the 1930s, the Klan issued flyers in Alabama stating that “paid organizers for the communists are only trying” to get black people “in trouble.” As James Baldwin wrote in 1961, “It is a notion which contains a gratuitous insult implying, as it does, that Negroes can make no move unless they are manipulated.”"

https://theintercept.com/2020/06/02/tru ... signation/

So it's not out-of-towners, not antifa, and not white nationalists, but black protestors turned rioters that are responsible for the looting and arson?

Bi_3 wrote:
Intellectuals:

Quote:

RM:

i don't see the article I posted and what the resident of that neighborhood is saying as being different. I feel like they're making the same point.

The majority of people are paying attention to the mayhem and attributing it to certain groups, whereas the actual protest is black led.

Yeah, protesting and rioting/looting/vandalizing are not the same thing.

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 6:51 pm 

Chris_H_2 wrote:
pepperwhiteMFC wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
pepperwhiteMFC wrote:

see, this is what i don't understand. you have two constitutionally protected freedoms: (1) the freedom of assembly (and relatedly, speech), and (2) the right to bear arms (which i wholeheartedly don't agree with, but that's another philosophical debate for another day). the government feels that it is entirely within its right to suppress one (while officials and politicians support it at worst, and stand idly mute at best). yet the government says it has its hands tied with the latter and nobody bats an eyelash. how can we exalt one over the other? since when is there a line with one but not the other?

Certainly no civilian should be walking around in public like this clown whose armed to the teeth. This guy is more than likely anti-government. You know the type; far right extremist that is still afraid Obama is going to take his guns away.

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 6:58 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

warehouse wrote:
Mickey wrote:
warehouse wrote:
Mickey wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Mickey wrote:
We thought they were fireworks but it was actually someone pipe-bombing ATMs, which is like the perfect crime.

Is that the dude that blew himself up in the attempt, or someone else? Philly does love explosives...

One of the guys blew himself up last night but it's happening again now

this happened a couple blocks from where i live. i havent heard as many bombs as last night, but i heard a bunch of gun shots earlier.

i cant believe i just typed that.

Lmao so you were at the Fishtown protest? I'm in Brewerytown.

:thumbsup: cool area

yeah, i didnt know they were happening here until i saw it on the news, so i ran over there last minute. "awesome" would be an understatement. being a part of something like that was moving.

Awesome. Stay safe over there. I think those bat-wielding psychos are mostly wimps cosplaying their feelings, but you never know.

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 7:57 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Have you all seen Boyega's speach?

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 8:12 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

VinylGuy wrote:
Have you all seen Boyega's speach?

I've not. Please share.

PostPosted: Wed June 03, 2020 9:13 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

https://news.avclub.com/john-boyega-delivers-moving-speech-at-protest-in-london-1843884999?_ga=2.52890350.792819781.1589206431-912305268.1537390032

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 177  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate