Switch to full style
Engage in discussions about news, politics, etc.
Post a reply

Re: Black Lives Matter

Thu June 11, 2020 3:56 pm

McParadigm wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Higgs wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
McParadigm wrote:I love the idea that someone could be skeptical about the pervasiveness of racism on a day when the White House said this

Did they just print out his tweet?

At least most of those that had bases named after them fought in wars under the US flag afterwards. Of course this will end up in a discussion of anti colonialism, and it seems that all monuments not populated with Indigineous or BIPOC folx will have to come down.

The Allies won WW1, not just the US.

And WW2 was won as much by Britain and (yes, I'm going to say it) Russia, as it was by the US.

*Edit* Not to debate your World War narrative business, but perhaps some more background for you beyond Trump's proclamation:

There are US Army bases named after Confederate Civil War generals. Some of them previously fought in the Mexican American war, and apparently I fucked up some chronology because I'm not sure how many were still alive to fight in the Spanish American war 30 years afterwards.

Since we have now clarified that none of the names above are people who later fought under the American flag after taking up arms against it (Pickett, for what it’s worth, fled to Canada to avoid prosecution for executing prisoners), we can at last all agree that the base names should be changed.

Holy shit! McP's only just gone and fully cracked the case!

Thu June 11, 2020 5:16 pm

Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
It's hard to shift to well-educated, well-trained, well-paid professionals without the budget to do so... even harder when the entire country has lost it's fucking mind and is now all bandwagoning into #ACAB driven collective punishment of cops. Where are these magical people Bernie wants suppose to come from now?
Free Colleges.

What I meant was who would want to be a cop now? You have a younger, more progressive generation coming into the workforce that was not raised under the "white flight" racism of the Boomers, or the useless "I dont see color" of GenX, so they should be able to recognize and improve the policing situation for communities who have long suffered under unfair practices if they were to become cops. But instead of that we are celebrating the cultural change to F12. Seems... unwise.

I think you'll have to adjust your thinking about what police work will become in order to appeal to those that want to work in the different branches.

Mental health responders will be separate from traffic enforcers who will be different from investigators. Violent crime units, drug enforcement units, riot response teams, will be different still.

Thu June 11, 2020 10:14 pm

elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
It's hard to shift to well-educated, well-trained, well-paid professionals without the budget to do so... even harder when the entire country has lost it's fucking mind and is now all bandwagoning into #ACAB driven collective punishment of cops. Where are these magical people Bernie wants suppose to come from now?
Free Colleges.

What I meant was who would want to be a cop now? You have a younger, more progressive generation coming into the workforce that was not raised under the "white flight" racism of the Boomers, or the useless "I dont see color" of GenX, so they should be able to recognize and improve the policing situation for communities who have long suffered under unfair practices if they were to become cops. But instead of that we are celebrating the cultural change to F12. Seems... unwise.

I think you'll have to adjust your thinking about what police work will become in order to appeal to those that want to work in the different branches.

Mental health responders will be separate from traffic enforcers who will be different from investigators. Violent crime units, drug enforcement units, riot response teams, will be different still.

I think you are putting lipstick on a pig (#dadjokes4life). There will be no "mental health responders" to 911 calls that aren't armed. There will be no "we saw a guy walking around under the overpass talking to himself, let's send the 5'1" 106lbs social worker". These are supplemental roles that are desperately need to diffuse situations where handcuffs and tasers are too often used, but they are supplemental, and will all still require the same training regular cops go through in order to be able to act on behalf of the government and use lethal force if necessary to protect themselves or civilians. In other words, they will still be cops, and now we will be trying to recruit them from a generation where it's a badge of honor to believe the lie that cops are out murdering black citizens every day. The inevitable result is more people like the cop in the Floyd case.

Thu June 11, 2020 10:33 pm

Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Free Colleges.

I think you are putting lipstick on a pig (#dadjokes4life). There will be no "mental health responders" to 911 calls that aren't armed. There will be no "we saw a guy walking around under the overpass talking to himself, let's send the 5'1" 106lbs social worker". These are supplemental roles that are desperately need to diffuse situations where handcuffs and tasers are too often used, but they are supplemental, and will all still require the same training regular cops go through in order to be able to act on behalf of the government and use lethal force if necessary to protect themselves or civilians. In other words, they will still be cops, and now we will be trying to recruit them from a generation where it's a badge of honor to believe the lie that cops are out murdering black citizens every day. The inevitable result is more people like the cop in the Floyd case.
I think we'll just leave it as a disagreement on what's possible.

Fri June 12, 2020 12:21 am

I respect that my friend. Have a good night

Fri June 12, 2020 12:29 am

oops wrong thread
Last edited by Peeps on Fri June 12, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri June 12, 2020 12:53 am

Maybe we should consider renaming the federal building in Oklahoma City to the Timothy McVeigh Federal Building, because, you know, history.

Fri June 12, 2020 1:01 am

Superblood Wolfmoon wrote:Maybe we should consider renaming the federal building in Oklahoma City to the Timothy McVeigh Federal Building, because, you know, history.

That'd actually be an incredible own.

Sat June 13, 2020 3:21 am

Mike McCready posted about BLM on Facebook and it became quickly apparent there are a lot of racist Pearl Jam fans

Sat June 13, 2020 3:23 am

E.H. Ruddock wrote:Mike McCready posted about BLM on Facebook and it became quickly apparent there are a lot of racist Pearl Jam fans

Better seats for the rest of us on the next tour amirite

Sat June 13, 2020 7:10 am

Saw this on a local newspaper today. On point.

Sat June 13, 2020 7:15 am

On Pointy

Sat June 13, 2020 9:05 pm

Sun June 14, 2020 2:14 am

So the images of CHAZ that Fox news showed were altered and some were not images of the actual area but images shown to make the area look more violent. No spin zone!

Sun June 14, 2020 2:16 am

Mickey wrote:

jesus christ

Sun June 14, 2020 3:03 am

96583UP wrote:
Mickey wrote:

jesus christ

Yeah waiting to hear the details on this one, since it seems a little murky, but if it quacks like a lynching...

Sun June 14, 2020 3:29 am

E.H. Ruddock wrote:So the images of CHAZ that Fox news showed were altered and some were not images of the actual area but images shown to make the area look more violent. No spin zone!

The hell you say!

Sun June 14, 2020 12:30 pm

Mickey wrote:
96583UP wrote:
Mickey wrote:

jesus christ

Yeah waiting to hear the details on this one, since it seems a little murky, but if it quacks like a lynching...

that one is odd, city hall doesn't have surveillance cameras?

Sun June 14, 2020 1:54 pm

The fuck? Stop the world already.

Thu June 18, 2020 5:24 am

:haha: :haha:
Post a reply