The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 953 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Black Lives Matter
PostPosted: Wed June 10, 2020 2:20 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Calling for a position to be eliminated is "collective punishment?" I will pass this on to my academic friends whose departments have been downsized.

PostPosted: Wed June 10, 2020 2:56 pm 
Future Drummer

McParadigm wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
digster wrote:
I think this is an example of why the left can sometimes have the reputation of tripping over itself even when there's nothing for it to trip over. These protests are not even two weeks old, and it seems like there's already micromanaging in the fear that a Republican might run a negative ad this fall. Think about what has happened in the past two weeks. The left is on the moral side of the issue, and they actually enjoy popular support, which is not always a given on this issue! They're actually dragging some Republicans to the left, at least in rhetoric, and the Democratic candidate for president has already said he's against defunding, which makes him look to voters like he's to the right of the left and to the left of the unpopular.

If in that situation, with all that in your favor, if what it devolves into is an intra-party haggling of how exactly protesters and activists in streets should frame their slogans, with everyone from Bernie Sanders to Joe Manchin needing to give their take, than I honestly am not sure if anything will ever help Democrats get Republicans out of their heads when making political decisions.

I agree and disagree. They took this attitude with free healthcare. Great slogan but no definition. They get in power and can't pass a bill that anyone really wanted, even with a majority because free healthcare meant something entirely different to every Dem. Words have to have meaning and an agreed to meaning.

I don’t think when thought out it is a defunding of police that is wanted. I think Sanders hit it on the head. More money to be spent in all actuality but with a much different and better outcome.

Does Sanders thinking fall under Defund The Police? OR is it a 20% decrease in funding? Or demilitarization? Right now it means nothing other than a change is wanted. How did that go with free healthcare?

PostPosted: Wed June 10, 2020 3:52 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Mickey wrote:
Calling for a position to be eliminated is "collective punishment?" I will pass this on to my academic friends whose departments have been downsized.

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 12:43 am 
Poster of the Year

McParadigm wrote:
I love the idea that someone could be skeptical about the pervasiveness of racism on a day when the White House said this

Did they just print out his tweet?

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 12:48 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Yup. Funny how they considered the pro-Confederacy tweet to be such a messaging win that they pushed it directly at reporters.

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 12:49 am 
Poster of the Year

hey you gotta choose from the available options

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 12:51 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Imagine being a black soldier on one of those bases.

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 1:03 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 1:35 am 
Major Dude

McParadigm wrote:
Yup. Funny how they considered the pro-Confederacy tweet to be such a messaging win that they pushed it directly at reporters.

But the confederacy has a reputation for losing, not winning.

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 3:13 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

well look at all these righteous young wokeys

what's going on in here, fellas?

you leave my buddy tree_ alone

he means well

he's just not too smart

he's not up on all that Berkeley newfangled fancy stuff

now why don't you gents go on outta here, think there's a j-crew sale you all are late to

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 3:29 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

cutuphalfdead wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
I love the idea that someone could be skeptical about the pervasiveness of racism on a day when the White House said this

At least most of those that had bases named after them fought in wars under the US flag afterwards. Of course this will end up in a discussion of anti colonialism, and it seems that all monuments not populated with Indigineous or BIPOC folx will have to come down.

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 3:44 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

simple schoolboy wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

At least most of those that had bases named after them fought in wars under the US flag afterwards. Of course this will end up in a discussion of anti colonialism, and it seems that all monuments not populated with Indigineous or BIPOC folx will have to come down.

The Allies won WW1, not just the US.

And WW2 was won as much by Britain and (yes, I'm going to say it) Russia, as it was by the US.

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 3:48 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Higgs wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

And WW2 was won as much by Britain and (yes, I'm going to say it) Russia, as it was by the US.

this is sacrilege! everyone knows WW2 was won by John Rambo!! Fuck all of you!!! Traitors!!!!

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 4:02 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Higgs wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

*Edit* Not to debate your World War narrative business, but perhaps some more background for you beyond Trump's proclamation:

There are US Army bases named after Confederate Civil War generals. Some of them previously fought in the Mexican American war, and apparently I fucked up some chronology because I'm not sure how many were still alive to fight in the Spanish American war 30 years afterwards.

Last edited by simple schoolboy on Thu June 11, 2020 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 4:04 am 
Mind Your Tanners

simple schoolboy wrote:
Higgs wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Is this some post ANZAC day silliness?

We cant expect you to follow this American debate that closely, but there are US Army bases named after Confederate Civil War generals. Some of them previously fought in the Mexican American war, and apparently I fucked up some chronology because I'm not sure how many were still alive to fight in the Spanish American war 30 years afterwards.

Much love to the ANZACs and their descendants out there, but I'm pretty sure we werent allied with the British Empire or her colonies in the 1840s or the 1890s.

The silly note alludes to American's having won two world wars for all of humanity

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 4:09 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Rangi Guy wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Higgs wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Is this some post ANZAC day silliness?

We cant expect you to follow this American debate that closely, but there are US Army bases named after Confederate Civil War generals. Some of them previously fought in the Mexican American war, and apparently I fucked up some chronology because I'm not sure how many were still alive to fight in the Spanish American war 30 years afterwards.

Much love to the ANZACs and their descendants out there, but I'm pretty sure we werent allied with the British Empire or her colonies in the 1840s or the 1890s.

The silly note alludes to American's having won two world wars for all of humanity

Yeah, edited my response to you, but too late.

Domestic vs. International message and all that.

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 6:53 am 
Posting (live)

"Fort Russian Winter of '42" might just catch on.

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 11:09 am 
Looks Like a Cat

This whole "tear down the Washington Monument" thing seems a bit like the thing those "you will not erase us" neo-nazis were claiming would happen.

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 11:28 am 
Looks Like a Cat

elliseamos wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

It's hard to shift to well-educated, well-trained, well-paid professionals without the budget to do so... even harder when the entire country has lost it's fucking mind and is now all bandwagoning into #ACAB driven collective punishment of cops. Where are these magical people Bernie wants suppose to come from now?
Free Colleges.

What I meant was who would want to be a cop now? You have a younger, more progressive generation coming into the workforce that was not raised under the "white flight" racism of the Boomers, or the useless "I dont see color" of GenX, so they should be able to recognize and improve the policing situation for communities who have long suffered under unfair practices if they were to become cops. But instead of that we are celebrating the cultural change to F12. Seems... unwise.

PostPosted: Thu June 11, 2020 3:12 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

simple schoolboy wrote:
Higgs wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

*Edit* Not to debate your World War narrative business, but perhaps some more background for you beyond Trump's proclamation:

There are US Army bases named after Confederate Civil War generals. Some of them previously fought in the Mexican American war, and apparently I fucked up some chronology because I'm not sure how many were still alive to fight in the Spanish American war 30 years afterwards.

Since we have now clarified that none of the names above are people who later fought under the American flag after taking up arms against it (Pickett, for what it’s worth, fled to Canada to avoid prosecution for executing prisoners), we can at last all agree that the base names should be changed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 953 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 48  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate