The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 953 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Black Lives Matter
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:37 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I think you should be able to intervene to protect and stop a crime, at least the crimes in your example. However, there should be strong limits on the extent to which you can go to detain the criminal. The criminal flees, the immediate danger is over. Untrained citizens giving chase with weapons can only serve to make the situation unsafe again.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:47 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
I think you should be able to intervene to protect and stop a crime, at least the crimes in your example. However, there should be strong limits on the extent to which you can go to detain the criminal. The criminal flees, the immediate danger is over. Untrained citizens giving chase with weapons can only serve to make the situation unsafe again.

Absolutely and relevant laws need to specify this.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:21 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

this is unbelievably fantastic

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:40 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

I'd say you could fix that problem by saying, "There is no such thing as a 'Citizen's Arrest.'"

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:44 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I fail to see any world in which dissolving the category of "citizen's arrest" would make a good Samaritan bystander be like, "Well, I was going to stop that in-progress rape but now I simply cannot." None of those examples listed need to fit under a broader category of citizen's arrest to be a category of protected intervention of obvious criminal action that doesn't include something like "interrogation of suspicious person."

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:28 am 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

I'd say you could fix that problem by saying, "There is no such thing as a 'Citizen's Arrest.'"

Well, it might be too late:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wa ... t-n1205581

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:32 am 
Future Drummer

What ever happened to calling 911 when you see a crime being committed?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:46 am 
Future Drummer

doone wrote:

Well here's the thing...

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:47 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

doone wrote:

911 is a joke.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:58 am 
Future Drummer

B wrote:
doone wrote:

911 is a joke.

So what's the point of police if you feel you can't call on them? Anarchy in the USA! :bammer:

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:00 am 
Future Drummer

B wrote:
doone wrote:

911 is a joke.

A+

oasisfan35 throws a wrench into the argument, though.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:42 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i remember asking a friend who works as a lawyer in the public defender's office: 'is citizen's arrest actually a thing?' and he was like 'no'

it was such a cornerstone of the Policy Academy movies, i felt lied to

but now i see from those lamestream media articles above that i guess it does exist in certain states

how does that differ from assault?

citizens do not have the monopoly of legitimate coercion

if some non-cop attempts to put handcuffs on me against my will it better be part of a role-play in the boudoir

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 3:05 am 
Future Drummer

96583UP wrote:
i remember asking a friend who works as a lawyer in the public defender's office: 'is citizen's arrest actually a thing?' and he was like 'no'

Police academy 2 is such a good childhood memory.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:12 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

96583UP wrote:

but now i see from those lamestream media articles above that i guess it does exist in certain states

if some non-cop attempts to put handcuffs on me against my will it better be part of a role-play in the boudoir

a 1963 episode of the andy griffith show has it happen..let me explain

gomer makes a citizen's arrest of barney for committing the same traffic violation that barney just ticketed him for. This causes barney to overreact, resigning as deputy and demanding a jail sentence in lieu of paying the fine. when gomer finds out how far it has gone, he tries to come up with a solution.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:15 pm 
Major Dude

doug rr wrote:
96583UP wrote:

gomer makes a citizen's arrest of barney for committing the same traffic violation that barney just ticketed him for. This causes barney to overreact, resigning as deputy and demanding a jail sentence in lieu of paying the fine. when gomer finds out how far it has gone, he tries to come up with a solution.

Without question, that is the best Andy Griffith Show episode.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:25 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

wease wrote:
doug rr wrote:
96583UP wrote:

Without question, that is the best Andy Griffith Show episode.

is it a zany solution?

i love those

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:32 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/21/us/roddi ... index.html

So the guy who recorded the murder has now been arrested for murder. I'm not quite understanding from the article how this came to be, but I wonder if he knew the other two?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:08 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Its kind of hard to square no citizens arrest with the Police having no duty to respond. It may be too much to ask the law and the courts to be anywhere near consistent on this issue, however.

The silver lining is, there's no qualified immunity for citizen arresters, as they don't get the magical benefits of being sworn police.

There was another neighbor that I think raised the alarm on the trespassing, who had previously confronted Ahmaud on being on the property.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:11 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/21/us/roddie-bryan-arrested-ahmaud-arbery-case/index.html

So the guy who recorded the murder has now been arrested for murder. I'm not quite understanding from the article how this came to be, but I wonder if he knew the other two?

I am also not clear how this guy can be charged with felony murder.

*Unless this is being treated as some kind of snuff film.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:35 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/21/us/roddie-bryan-arrested-ahmaud-arbery-case/index.html

I am also not clear how this guy can be charged with felony murder.

*Unless this is being treated as some kind of snuff film.

Apparently, they're accusing him of using his truck to keep Arbery from escaping.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 953 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 48  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate