The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 953 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Black Lives Matter
PostPosted: Mon June 29, 2020 4:33 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

verb_to_trust wrote:
Strat wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Some of this stuff is sort of insulting really. Does anyone really think George Floyd's family is sitting around thinking: "I know we lost George, but Uncle Ben is finally off the rice box so maybe something good came of all of this pain?" People want real change.

But this is part of the change.

This is implicit bias.

Its ingrained in our psyches as a culture here. Why, when growing up, did you think twice about the black person walking towards you down the street? And dont act like you didn't.

because of the way black people have been depicted in media and all across the cultural spectrum from before we were born.

No, this isn't going to solve it, but its hopefully beginning to steer the ship in a better direction.

Carl Winslow voicing Cleveland is not going to change a fucking thing.

“It’s not going to change anything” sounds like a pretty good reason not to care that they decided to switch.

PostPosted: Mon June 29, 2020 4:38 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The world: ...

Mercedes: I know what to do!

The world: ...

Mercedes:

PostPosted: Mon June 29, 2020 4:39 pm 
Gone

McParadigm wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Strat wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Some of this stuff is sort of insulting really. Does anyone really think George Floyd's family is sitting around thinking: "I know we lost George, but Uncle Ben is finally off the rice box so maybe something good came of all of this pain?" People want real change.

This is implicit bias.

Its ingrained in our psyches as a culture here. Why, when growing up, did you think twice about the black person walking towards you down the street? And dont act like you didn't.

because of the way black people have been depicted in media and all across the cultural spectrum from before we were born.

No, this isn't going to solve it, but its hopefully beginning to steer the ship in a better direction.

“It’s not going to change anything” sounds like a pretty good reason not to care that they decided to switch.

So just switch. Why make it a white guilt thing?

PostPosted: Mon June 29, 2020 4:41 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

McParadigm wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Strat wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

This is implicit bias.

And I have to think that getting authentic voice in media should help the writing.

PostPosted: Mon June 29, 2020 4:45 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

McParadigm wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Strat wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

This is implicit bias.

The 7-12 black actors that have a shot at some work that they wouldn't have otherwise had disagree with you, verb.

PostPosted: Mon June 29, 2020 4:56 pm 
Future Drummer

B wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Strat wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

This is implicit bias.

The 7-12 black actors that have a shot at some work that they wouldn't have otherwise had disagree with you, verb.

Are actors of color going to be as willing to do stereotyped voices, such as Apu? Or will they think the need to add something to the character? Or will it be an issue for the director to have the vision to tell the BIPOC voice actor to use a stereotyped voice and then stick to his/her guns about it?

It's voice acting. I am not sure that an East Indian person born and raised in Minnesota will be any more of a realistic stereotyped East Indian accent than a white person. That's just magic-fying a BIPOC.

PostPosted: Mon June 29, 2020 5:26 pm 
Gone

I'm 36 I don't watch cartoons, but it always pissed me off that Frylock wasn't voiced by an actual fry man.

PostPosted: Mon June 29, 2020 5:39 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

verb over here trying to make his point by taking a job away from a Black voice actor.

PostPosted: Mon June 29, 2020 7:31 pm 
Gone

A voice actor is just a voice actor. Anyone can voice a fucking cartoon. A lot of them don't even match genders. Doesn't matter at all.

PostPosted: Mon June 29, 2020 7:48 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I understand why you think it’s unnecessary. I don’t understand why you think it’s a problem. None of these voice actor changes is being brought about because a mob of pitchfork-wielding libs called out for it. Nobody stepped aside because they were coerced or targeted. Other than the people who are mad online about it happening, nobody seems to care at all. Half of the people making these pledges voiced characters for shows that have already ended. And the only people saying “cancel The Simpsons“ are people who’ve tried to watch it in the last 10 years.

PostPosted: Mon June 29, 2020 7:52 pm 
Future Drummer

McParadigm wrote:
I understand why you think it’s unnecessary. I don’t understand why you think it’s a problem. None of these voice actor changes is being brought about because a mob of pitchfork-wielding libs called out for it. Nobody stepped aside because they were coerced or targeted. Other than the people who are mad online about it happening, nobody seems to care at all. Half of the people making these pledges voiced characters for shows that have already ended. And the only people saying “cancel The Simpsons“ are people who’ve tried to watch it in the last 10 years.

Why do you think it's necessary? Is it problematic to have a white male voice a cartoon person of colour?

PostPosted: Mon June 29, 2020 7:54 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I didn’t say it was necessary though?

PostPosted: Mon June 29, 2020 7:56 pm 
Gone

I'm not outraged at this. I just think it's stupid it's even in the news. Uncle B shouldn't have posted it.

PostPosted: Mon June 29, 2020 8:03 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Why am I "Uncle B"?

PostPosted: Mon June 29, 2020 8:04 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
Why am I "Uncle B"?

You prefer Uncle Kneel?

PostPosted: Mon June 29, 2020 8:13 pm 
Gone

B wrote:
Why am I "Uncle B"?

I'm trying to get to an Uncle Ben connection

PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

I am so woefully behind threads on this forum, and I doubt I'll ever be able to catch up to the monster threads that are in the hundreds of pages. So I decided to pick a smaller thread at random to read in its entirety, and this looked like a good one. So here's an attempt at some comments on some of the discussion here:
--First, much thanks to Nate for starting this thread before the George Floyd murder really kicked this off societywide. Well done, and also thanks to Peeps and Joey for the early assists.
--B asked "[s]hould citizens' arrest even be a thing?". If we are going to make them a thing, there need to be very fierce consequences for those that fuck up, especially in a world where the Karens and Beckys are out there.
--I'm in the camp of "take calls to abolish/defund the police seriously if not literally" and I think Joey explained this well around page 7-8 or so. Even if my own opinions may contain parts that trend toward the literal.
--For problematic works of art like Song of the South, I say place them in the public domain. Anyone can access them, and learn of the problems within them, but no one can profit off them.
--I'm fine with those voice actors stepping away, it sure beats the heck out of outright canceling the characters in question.
--FFS, Black Lives Matter.

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:31 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Segregation is so hot right now

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:35 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Strat wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

This is implicit bias.

PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:46 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lol no.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 953 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 48  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate