The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 953 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Black Lives Matter
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:12 pm 
Future Drummer

Is it allowed to have dogs off leash in that area of the park?

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:11 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

blueviper wrote:
Is it allowed to have dogs off leash in that area of the park?

No, but Chris Cooper is not an employee of the park system or any code or law enforcement agency. The context of the event matters:

Quote:
So when I encounter viral moments like the one involving the Coopers — the angel and the villain so neatly laid out, each person frozen in roles in a grand ideological narrative — my first instinct is to ask: What context am I missing here?

Here the answer was: an awful lot.

For starters, there was the Facebook post that Christian shared when he uploaded the original video, which his sister posted on Twitter in the hours after the encounter. In the post, Christian recorded his contemporaneous account of what happened in the moments before the camera started rolling. “Look, if you’re going to do what you want, I’m going to do what I want, but you’re not going to like it,” Christian recounted himself saying to Amy. He also shared that he’d pulled out “the dog treats I carry for just for [sic] such intransigence.”

I had read an embarrassing number of stories and social media takes about this brief conflict. Not a single one of them had mentioned this public Facebook post.

He threatened her, I thought, stunned. He says himself that he approached her — a woman alone in a wooded area. He tried to lure away her dog. How was this the first time I was reading these details? Had I just missed them in the other stories I’d read?

Quote:
Kmele also uncovered important context lost in the public narrative, including:

A recording of Christian Cooper at a local community board meeting just days before his encounter with Amy Cooper. “It’s getting super ugly between birders and unleashed dog walkers,” he says. “I’ve been assaulted twice so far this spring, people actually putting their hands on me, which really surprises me, because I’m not a small guy.”

May 2020 testimony provided by Jerome Lockett, a black man who said Christian had “aggressively” threatened him in the park. Among the details: “when I saw that video, I thought, I cannot imagine if he approached her the same way how she may have genuinely been afraid for her life.” He continued, “If I wasn’t who I was, I would of [sic] called the police on that guy too.”

Lockett also says: “My two fellow dog owners have had similar situations with this man, but don’t feel comfortable coming forward because they’re white. They think they’ll be seen as some ‘Karen’ or whatever.” His complete statement can be found on page nine here.

The dispatch from Amy Cooper’s 911 call, which seems to corroborate her explanation that her double reference to Christian’s race to the operator — and the growing hysteria she displayed in the video — was the result of a bad cell phone connection. Listen here:

Chris is now famous (has his own TV show) and Amy was publicly shamed, fired, and had to flee the country. Doesn't seem much like justice.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:36 pm 
Future Drummer

All of this could have been avoided if

1) they were both nice to each other.
2) she respected leash laws
3) he would ask her nicely to leash the dog and she would apologize and leash her dog.
4) no one resorted to cameras
5) they both go on their merry way

like 99% of normal encounters in the united states (hopefully)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:50 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

As a runner in a park where people ignore leash laws, I can testify that it is HARD to be polite when asking someone to follow the fucking city laws and park rules that they are ignoring, especially when trying to hide behind a tree from their rabid dog, who, by the way, "has never acted like this before."

While I'm here, fuck you to the lady who told me to stop backing up when her dog was attacking me. Don't give me instructions. Just leash your god damned dog!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:38 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

B wrote:
As a runner in a park where people ignore leash laws, I can testify that it is HARD to be polite when asking someone to follow the fucking city laws and park rules that they are ignoring, especially when trying to hide behind a tree from their rabid dog, who, by the way, "has never acted like this before."

While I'm here, fuck you to the lady who told me to stop backing up when her dog was attacking me. Don't give me instructions. Just leash your god damned dog!

This is a much stronger objection than, "your dog might disturb the birds".

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:54 am 
Looks Like a Cat

simple schoolboy wrote:
B wrote:

This is a much stronger objection than, "your dog might disturb the birds".

Yes. There is a huge difference between that and approaching said lady when she is alone in the woods and threatening her and then trying to lure away with treats you just happen to be carrying.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:01 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

People who unleash their dogs hate their dogs and have no rights.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:03 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:

Clearly not due process in Amy Cooper's case. ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:09 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

B wrote:

Oh wow B is a big fan of leashes. What a shock. Good forbid any creature in the world not have a leash attached! There would be chaos!

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:51 pm 
mXn

I let my dog off leash when I’m in a grassy area and nobody is around, or if the other dog(s) are already off leash. But if that’s not the case I leash her immediately when I see another person or dog.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:12 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

I'm not her court, but if I was, I'd want more evidence than rumors, people who say they know some people, and some guy that saw a video that no one else saw.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:57 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

I'm not her court, but if I was, I'd want more evidence than rumors, people who say they know some people, and some guy that saw a video that no one else saw.

That's literally the point here my evenbro. She was tarred and feather as the "Central park karen", a poster child for white racism, with only a video clip that captured the aftermath of the event that utlimately forced her to leave the country. Though the guy admitted on Facebook (in a post that is still up and was up BEFORE the video) he approached her alone in the woods, threatened her, and tried to lure her dog to him. The conflation of this event, which she absolutely bears some responsibility in, and the Floyd killing that went viral on the same day was what convicted her.

The video of Chris complaining about the dogs with the mentions of assaults, before the incident with Amy, was linked in the article: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3E50XsbJXg&t=5442s . He was out there filming himself intentionally provoking interactions with unleashed dog owners.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:44 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

So, the video you posted does not show what you're saying it does. He's filming his interactions. There's nothing in that video about "provoking" anyone. He was filming people breaking the rules. I pretty big nerd move, but so the fuck what?

Where's the post of him admitting to "threatening" her? Are you distorting that post in the same way you're distorting the youtube video? Did he "threaten" to report her to some sort of authorities?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:19 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
So, the video you posted does not show what you're saying it does. He's filming his interactions. There's nothing in that video about "provoking" anyone. He was filming people breaking the rules. I pretty big nerd move, but so the fuck what?

Where's the post of him admitting to "threatening" her? Are you distorting that post in the same way you're distorting the youtube video? Did he "threaten" to report her to some sort of authorities?

The sworn witness testimony in Amy's lawsuit (linked to in the original post) explains the previous provocations, you simply choose not to believe it. Which you are free to do.

https://www.facebook.com/christian.coop ... 2137255229

Please remember this is as he approached her, a sexual assault survivor, alone, in the woods, with her dog.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:44 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

BurtReynolds wrote:
B wrote:

Oh wow B is a big fan of leashes. What a shock. Good forbid any creature in the world not have a leash attached! There would be chaos!

Can't recall if the thread where B talked about leashing his wife was in the old GD.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:20 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Still working on that one.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 2:01 am 
Rank This Poster

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/27/americas ... index.html

Man dies in Brazilian police custody after being restrained in car filled with unknown gas

PostPosted: Sat September 03, 2022 2:16 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

I do not have a good handle on the % of Americans that would read that statement and nod along to the language, but it has to be overly represented in the "Some College" and higher educational attainment cohorts.

PostPosted: Wed November 30, 2022 8:21 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

No snarky comments here, this is a nightmarish tragedy:

PostPosted: Wed November 30, 2022 8:38 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bi_3 wrote:
No snarky comments here, this is a nightmarish tragedy:

In the 90s much of this was pinned on the crack epidemic. I don't get the sense that the Fentanyl trade is especially violent or that blacks are even significantly involved. So we chaulk up this recent increase to what, vibes?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 953 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate