The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Which conspiracy theories are actually believable?
PostPosted: Sat July 13, 2013 6:10 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Man in Black wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
okay, so assuming the good doctor has explained the planes.

why'd that one building, not struck by a plane, come crashing down in the exact same fashion?

You're in Corduroy_Bimbo territory now.

Have you researched this? I mean really looked into it?

The answers are available, to anyone with some basic deductive reasoning skills.

i'm not sure how useful those deductive skills are without some inductive skills alongside them

PostPosted: Mon July 22, 2013 5:48 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Man in Black wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

why'd that one building, not struck by a plane, come crashing down in the exact same fashion?

The answers are available, to anyone with some basic deductive reasoning skills.

leading with name calling is always great for conversation, but anything you'd like to provide MiB would be appreciated. :peace:

PostPosted: Sun July 28, 2013 6:18 pm 
A Return To Form

elliseamos wrote:
Man in Black wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

leading with name calling is always great for conversation, but anything you'd like to provide MiB would be appreciated. :peace:

This is why these ideas refuse to die, smart but lazy (more name calling!) people refusing to understand readily available information.

Here's a pic of Wt7 before collapse:

Here's the second item in a google search:

http://www.debunking911.com/pull.htm

Granted, if you thoroughly research this issue, you'll find people and websites who view that evidence as completely wrong.
You'll find people and websites who completely agree with it.

At that point you'll have to apply Occam's Razor and make a judgement regarding information provided and their sources.

In this case, the answer is overtly obvious, though.

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 11:57 am 
Broken Tamborine

The word "theory" when preceded by the word "conspiracy" does not equate to the same meaning as "theory" in a scientific context.

Therefore, they are not believable. Show me how they significantly outweigh the more likely scenario with empirical proof and not conjecture and I'll believe you.

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 12:07 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

thanks, mib.

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 4:45 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

fishbob wrote:
The word "theory" when preceded by the word "conspiracy" does not equate to the same meaning as "theory" in a scientific context.

Therefore, they are not believable. Show me how they significantly outweigh the more likely scenario with empirical proof and not conjecture and I'll believe you.

Do you find a recent study finding that drop bears are more likely to attack foreigners than Australians to be credible? It's just a hop, skip and a jump from conspiracy theories to crytpozoology, right?

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 9:06 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

I don't think 'believable' equates to 'proven'. 'Believable' is anything anyone finds possibly credible, even if more evidence is needed.

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 10:21 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Can't believe I looked up drop bears....

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 10:37 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

bada wrote:

:)

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 11:01 pm 
Technical Overlord

Do you guys think Eric Snowden is real?

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2013 11:07 pm 
Posting (live)

bada wrote:

:thumbsup: :wave:

PostPosted: Tue July 30, 2013 2:20 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Whitey McTeeth wrote:

Just as Santa Claus comes every year to bring presents to the good boys and girls, Eric Snowden brings tales of NSA leaks. He brings them to all, but the bad boys and girls scream that he's a traitor and that big brother knows best and is keeping us safe.

PostPosted: Tue July 30, 2013 1:54 pm 
Rank This Poster

simple schoolboy wrote:
Whitey McTeeth wrote:

Just as Santa Claus comes every year to bring presents to the good boys and girls, Eric Snowden brings tales of NSA leaks. He brings them to all, but the bad boys and girls scream that he's a traitor and that big brother knows best and is keeping us safe.

Yeah, that said, the information he released isn't really that suprising. What's suprising to me is that we know who he is and his wherabouts have been national press for weeks.

I still don't understand his motives unless he was trying to generate sympathy for himself and he is actually a spy. Wikileakes revealed more actual information than this and even that wasn't all that revealing other than to have a few weeks of sensationalist press. All Snowden has done is to generate discussion about data mining that every single country in the world is doing already whether they admit it or not.

Last edited by Electromatic on Tue July 30, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue July 30, 2013 1:56 pm 

Electromatic wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Whitey McTeeth wrote:

Yeah, that said, the information he released isn't really that suprising. What's suprising to me is that we know who he is and his wherabouts have been national press for weeks.

I still don't understand his motives unless he was trying to generate sympathy for himself and he is actually a spy. Wikileakes revealed more actual information than this and even that wasn't all that revealing other than to have a few weeks of sensationalist press. All Snowden has done is to generate discussion about data mining that every single country in the world that has is doing already whether they admit it or not.

Really? Are they? Mine isn't.

PostPosted: Tue July 30, 2013 1:58 pm 
Rank This Poster

How do you know?

PostPosted: Tue July 30, 2013 2:00 pm 

:|

Same way you know every country is and nobody needed Snowden? Your experience, your observation?

PostPosted: Tue July 30, 2013 2:02 pm 
Future Drummer

harmless wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Whitey McTeeth wrote:

I still don't understand his motives unless he was trying to generate sympathy for himself and he is actually a spy. Wikileakes revealed more actual information than this and even that wasn't all that revealing other than to have a few weeks of sensationalist press. All Snowden has done is to generate discussion about data mining that every single country in the world that has is doing already whether they admit it or not.

Well, if they weren't (which they were), they certainly will be now. Snowden's releases explained to every third world dictator exactly how the most advanced spy agency in the world operates. It's naive to think they won't emulate it and probably do a lot more harm with the data than the NSA ever did.

PostPosted: Tue July 30, 2013 2:04 pm 

broken iris wrote:
harmless wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Whitey McTeeth wrote:

Well, if they weren't (which they were), they certainly will be now. Snowden's releases explained to every third world dictator exactly how the most advanced spy agency in the world operates. It's naive to think they won't emulate it and probably do a lot more harm with the data than the NSA ever did.

I guess that's the risk you take whenever you release such information to the public as a matter of conscience. I don't think the fact that there could be negative consequences is a strong enough argument against what Snowden did. It's all a bit neoliberal to me.

PostPosted: Tue July 30, 2013 2:55 pm 
Future Drummer

harmless wrote:
broken iris wrote:
harmless wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Whitey McTeeth wrote:

I guess that's the risk you take whenever you release such information to the public as a matter of conscience. I don't think the fact that there could be negative consequences is a strong enough argument against what Snowden did. It's all a bit neoliberal to me.

I agree that it is a fine line, but information can be both a tool (financial for Facebook/Google, enlightening for Scientists and Universities) and a weapon (think Statsi or McCarthyism). Disclosing technique, tradecraft, is like handing over a new weapon as much as it giving the innocent a way to fight that weapon. By giving away those weapons, Snowden committed an act treason and he should be put on trial for it.

PostPosted: Tue July 30, 2013 6:32 pm 

broken iris wrote:
harmless wrote:
broken iris wrote:
harmless wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Whitey McTeeth wrote:

I agree that it is a fine line, but information can be both a tool (financial for Facebook/Google, enlightening for Scientists and Universities) and a weapon (think Statsi or McCarthyism). Disclosing technique, tradecraft, is like handing over a new weapon as much as it giving the innocent a way to fight that weapon. By giving away those weapons, Snowden committed an act treason and he should be put on trial for it.

Legally? Possibly. But legal is as legal does, and considering some of the crimes against human rights which are currently being made 'legal' in the UK at the moment, that argument is less important to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate