The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post subject: Re: Which conspiracy theories are actually believable?
PostPosted: Wed July 31, 2013 11:54 am 
Broken Tamborine

bada wrote:
Can't believe I looked up drop bears....

wow...

PostPosted: Sun August 18, 2013 8:28 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

broken iris wrote:
harmless wrote:
broken iris wrote:
harmless wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Whitey McTeeth wrote:
Do you guys think Eric Snowden is real?

Just as Santa Claus comes every year to bring presents to the good boys and girls, Eric Snowden brings tales of NSA leaks. He brings them to all, but the bad boys and girls scream that he's a traitor and that big brother knows best and is keeping us safe.

Yeah, that said, the information he released isn't really that suprising. What's suprising to me is that we know who he is and his wherabouts have been national press for weeks.

I still don't understand his motives unless he was trying to generate sympathy for himself and he is actually a spy. Wikileakes revealed more actual information than this and even that wasn't all that revealing other than to have a few weeks of sensationalist press. All Snowden has done is to generate discussion about data mining that every single country in the world that has is doing already whether they admit it or not.

Really? Are they? Mine isn't.

Well, if they weren't (which they were), they certainly will be now. Snowden's releases explained to every third world dictator exactly how the most advanced spy agency in the world operates. It's naive to think they won't emulate it and probably do a lot more harm with the data than the NSA ever did.

I guess that's the risk you take whenever you release such information to the public as a matter of conscience. I don't think the fact that there could be negative consequences is a strong enough argument against what Snowden did. It's all a bit neoliberal to me.

I agree that it is a fine line, but information can be both a tool (financial for Facebook/Google, enlightening for Scientists and Universities) and a weapon (think Statsi or McCarthyism). Disclosing technique, tradecraft, is like handing over a new weapon as much as it giving the innocent a way to fight that weapon. By giving away those weapons, Snowden committed an act treason and he should be put on trial for it.

i agree with the first half of your post. information in general, and the information he leaked in particular, often has good uses and sinister uses. but i disagree with the second half. he provided a public service by better informing debate.

PostPosted: Sun August 18, 2013 11:28 am 
what on earth am I talking about

All lotteries are fixed.

PostPosted: Mon August 19, 2013 11:36 pm 
Future Drummer

dkfan9 wrote:
broken iris wrote:

I agree that it is a fine line, but information can be both a tool (financial for Facebook/Google, enlightening for Scientists and Universities) and a weapon (think Statsi or McCarthyism). Disclosing technique, tradecraft, is like handing over a new weapon as much as it giving the innocent a way to fight that weapon. By giving away those weapons, Snowden committed an act treason and he should be put on trial for it.

i agree with the first half of your post. information in general, and the information he leaked in particular, often has good uses and sinister uses. but i disagree with the second half. he provided a public service by better informing debate.

Come on. There is no debate on this outside of internet forums. There was a few days of hand-wringing, a couple of press releases, and a hearing and it's over. A few token newspaper articles may get through but it means nothing and nothing will change. He did nothing but get internet famous and compromise some of our greatest weapons to fight terror inside our borders (and economically damage US companies that were legally forced to comply with FISA requests).

dimejinky99 wrote:
All lotteries are fixed.

Well, at least one of them is.

PostPosted: Tue August 20, 2013 12:50 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

broken iris wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:
broken iris wrote:

Come on. There is no debate on this outside of internet forums. There was a few days of hand-wringing, a couple of press releases, and a hearing and it's over. A few token newspaper articles may get through but it means nothing and nothing will change. He did nothing but get internet famous and compromise some of our greatest weapons to fight terror inside our borders (and economically damage US companies that were legally forced to comply with FISA requests).

dimejinky99 wrote:
All lotteries are fixed.

Well, at least one of them is.

1985 amirite

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 4:12 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I just got into an argument with someone who thinks the plane that hit the Pentagon on 9/11 was a cruise missile painted to look like an American Airlines flight.

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 4:25 pm 
post-structuralist

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I just got into an argument with someone who thinks the plane that hit the Pentagon on 9/11 was a cruise missile painted to look like an American Airlines flight.

what were the people on the plane painted to look like?

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 5:18 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

malice wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

That's what I said. I said that there are families with loved ones that were on that plane that would disagree with you (him) too. He said the gov't just "took care of" them some other way. :/

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 7:39 pm 
Future Drummer

malice wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Jews, it makes the attack anti-Semite as well.

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 9:22 pm 
post-structuralist

surfndestroy wrote:
malice wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

THANKS OBAMA!!

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 10:06 pm 
Future Drummer

malice wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
malice wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

THANKS OBAMA!!

That's Barack Husein to you, infidel.

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 10:15 pm 
Technical Overlord

Someone's gonna be visited by a painted plane missile tonight.

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 11:02 pm 
Future Drummer

Whitey McTeeth wrote:
Someone's gonna be visited by a painted plane missile tonight.

The USA I know would never drone attack a person in a soverign country they're not at war with, would they?

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate