The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Women's Health Issues
PostPosted: Sat July 02, 2022 7:17 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

wease wrote:
B wrote:

Didn’t the Supreme Court say when they overturned RvW that states couldn’t prevent people from going to other states to get one?

No. Kavanaugh wrote in a concurring opinion that he doesn't personally think this would be constitutional since it would violate the right to interstate travel, but a concurring opinion doesn't carry any real legal weight and the specific case (Dobbs) didn't involve a ban on travel, so nothing has been decided. I believe the argument from the far-right (in broad strokes) is that, if a fetus is a person, it's no different from a state criminalizing human trafficking.

We'll find out how SCOTUS feels within the next year or so, I imagine. I think the Texas law is already in appeals, though that one also has the strange private citizen enforcement mechanism.

PostPosted: Sat July 02, 2022 7:59 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

JuanHamm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:
What would you like the Ohio politician with 10k followers to do?

It's not about what an individual does, it's about how we collectively as society react and reward.

Do you think Twitter is a fair reflection of society?

Loosely, no. But I do think Twitter has a disparate impact on the elements of society that shape public perception and acts as a leading engagement indicator to legacy media. The history of Fox News is a good place to start. Fox rode to the top because they were able to create the mass media equivalent of a cigarette using the guise of 'fair and balanced' news to deliver an addictive drug: anger. And anger feels good. It really does. Nothing feels quite like the righteous anger you get when they do their evil. The irrational hatred of the other becomes suddenly justified and your struggle validated because you've been right this whole time. And it was easy for Fox when Obama was president because their audience's fears were manifest before them. Got them all health insurance? Fuck that, he's a Kenyan commie. And mad people buy more MyPillows (promo code POSO), so the money went to Fox. Trump gave the left the same opportunity and they took it and flipped the script. Just like everything that Obama did was bad because Obama did it, everything Trump did was bad because it was Trump that did it. People ate that shit up, it drove ads and engagement to the point where the chairmen of the Senate Intelligence Committee thought he was a hero when he read into the Congressional record an unfounded rumor that Trump had hookers pee on hotel bed in Russia and a video of that event was being used to control him. That fat orange fuck still lives rent free in the heads of CNN/NYT/etc and half the posters here because outrage and the hit we get from it feels so good.

What Twitter has done, and Facebook pioneered before it, was to enable media business people to peak into the minds and lives of their target demos and feed them the exact pitches and sentiments that will maximize engagement and thus maximize profit. And what type of content did Fox prove sells? Outrage. This creates a viscous feedback cycle where audiences must be kept constantly angry and constantly fearful, and for voices on Twitter to be successful they need to feed this. You're gonna be fired from your job as a reporter if nobody reads your articles. Nobody's gonna read your articles unless they get that hit. Tucker Carlson is a great example. Starting out as a reasonable conservative voice, he was a nobody until he learned to capitalize on anger and became... whatever the hell he is now. Present day Jon Stewart (anyone remember the Rally to Restore Sanity? I do, I was there) and Chris Hayes, same thing.

Now it's politicians too. What does Trump offer? Marjorie Green? Boebert? Nothing but anger at the other. AOC? Jayapal? Nothing but anger at the other.

Who cares, it's just Twitter and the party extremes right? It matters because of the perverse incentive that comes along with it, that in order to sell outrage there must be outrage to sell. It multiplies on top of itself. And what stops the outrage market? Actually doing shit to improve peoples lives so they are less angry. But that doesn't sell and it doesn't feel good and it doesn't validate my existence and it's hard work and it's doesn't punish the sinners, so we leave it to others. God, the State, the state, someone else. We are too busy. We are outraged at them for all those things they did to us! Thus we sit paralyzed, unable to act, only express hatred. Maybe put this week's flag up. And now with the liberal world being dismantled before us, what do we do? Take another hit. So nothing changes.

The right wingers spent years building to the events of the last few weeks. So how do we respond? Send a bunch of morbidly obese bluehairs to a judges house? Click the reteweet button? Or maybe... just maybe.. stop being angry bitches and start helping. Reward and honor those doing the grunt work to help, not those screeching that someone must do something.

Last edited by Bi_3 on Sat July 02, 2022 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat July 02, 2022 8:58 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Only 2 percent of the country actually matters. The rest will go along with whatever the 2 percent pushes. The 98% would be concentration camp guards if the 2 percent told them to be. The 98 percent's opinion on anything doesn't matter at all.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat July 02, 2022 9:08 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Weird way to admit you'd be a guard.

PostPosted: Sat July 02, 2022 9:56 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

It's amazing how long some of you guys take to say nothing. Honestly kills me. If you were so pro-life you'd get to the point.

PostPosted: Sat July 02, 2022 10:01 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Could have just said outrage culture

Not that it would have been that interesting of a thing to say

PostPosted: Sat July 02, 2022 10:12 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Mickey wrote:
Weird way to admit you'd be a guard.

Mickey wrote:

Really more of a Maoist reeducation camp guy myself.

Mickey wrote:
I do agree with Burt that he belongs in a camp.

Mickey wrote:
The thing for me is that I'm actually pro-camp, it's just that I want to put you in one.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat July 02, 2022 10:28 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat July 02, 2022 10:31 pm 

Me and Mickey guarding the prison walls together:

PostPosted: Sat July 02, 2022 10:32 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Oh not together, no.

PostPosted: Sat July 02, 2022 11:31 pm 
Production Police

Google Announces It Will Delete Users’ Location History Data for Medical Facility Visits, Abortion Clinics

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... 235175107/

PostPosted: Sat July 02, 2022 11:38 pm 

Yeah right. It will end up being an option you have to dig through their settings for an hour to opt into.

PostPosted: Sun July 03, 2022 12:10 am 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:
What would you like the Ohio politician with 10k followers to do?

It's not about what an individual does, it's about how we collectively as society react and reward.

Do you think Twitter is a fair reflection of society?

Loosely, no. But I do think Twitter has a disparate impact on the elements of society that shape public perception and acts as a leading engagement indicator to legacy media. The history of Fox News is a good place to start. Fox rode to the top because they were able to create the mass media equivalent of a cigarette using the guise of 'fair and balanced' news to deliver an addictive drug: anger. And anger feels good. It really does. Nothing feels quite like the righteous anger you get when they do their evil. The irrational hatred of the other becomes suddenly justified and your struggle validated because you've been right this whole time. And it was easy for Fox when Obama was president because their audience's fears were manifest before them. Got them all health insurance? Fuck that, he's a Kenyan commie. And mad people buy more MyPillows (promo code POSO), so the money went to Fox. Trump gave the left the same opportunity and they took it and flipped the script. Just like everything that Obama did was bad because Obama did it, everything Trump did was bad because it was Trump that did it. People ate that shit up, it drove ads and engagement to the point where the chairmen of the Senate Intelligence Committee thought he was a hero when he read into the Congressional record an unfounded rumor that Trump had hookers pee on hotel bed in Russia and a video of that event was being used to control him. That fat orange fuck still lives rent free in the heads of CNN/NYT/etc and half the posters here because outrage and the hit we get from it feels so good.

What Twitter has done, and Facebook pioneered before it, was to enable media business people to peak into the minds and lives of their target demos and feed them the exact pitches and sentiments that will maximize engagement and thus maximize profit. And what type of content did Fox prove sells? Outrage. This creates a viscous feedback cycle where audiences must be kept constantly angry and constantly fearful, and for voices on Twitter to be successful they need to feed this. You're gonna be fired from your job as a reporter if nobody reads your articles. Nobody's gonna read your articles unless they get that hit. Tucker Carlson is a great example. Starting out as a reasonable conservative voice, he was a nobody until he learned to capitalize on anger and became... whatever the hell he is now. Present day Jon Stewart (anyone remember the Rally to Restore Sanity? I do, I was there) and Chris Hayes, same thing.

Now it's politicians too. What does Trump offer? Marjorie Green? Boebert? Nothing but anger at the other. AOC? Jayapal? Nothing but anger at the other.

Who cares, it's just Twitter and the party extremes right? It matters because of the perverse incentive that comes along with it, that in order to sell outrage there must be outrage to sell. It multiplies on top of itself. And what stops the outrage market? Actually doing shit to improve peoples lives so they are less angry. But that doesn't sell and it doesn't feel good and it doesn't validate my existence and it's hard work and it's doesn't punish the sinners, so we leave it to others. God, the State, the state, someone else. We are too busy. We are outraged at them for all those things they did to us! Thus we sit paralyzed, unable to act, only express hatred. Maybe put this week's flag up. And now with the liberal world being dismantled before us, what do we do? Take another hit. So nothing changes.

The right wingers spent years building to the events of the last few weeks. So how do we respond? Send a bunch of morbidly obese bluehairs to a judges house? Click the reteweet button? Or maybe... just maybe.. stop being angry bitches and start helping. Reward and honor those doing the grunt work to help, not those screeching that someone must do something.

So yeah, Twitter sucks. It only works for angry conservatives. When libs get angry, it’s just woke nonsense (because it’s not hate driven, not as potent).

PostPosted: Sun July 03, 2022 12:27 am 
Mind Your Tanners

If you squint you can see exactly where that Bi_3 post starts to go off the rails.

PostPosted: Sun July 03, 2022 12:30 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Mickey wrote:
If you squint you can see exactly where that Bi_3 post starts to go off the rails.

I like that after all the platitudinous concern-trolling he gives us a little peek at the real fire in his soul with the "morbidly obese bluehairs" remark

PostPosted: Sun July 03, 2022 1:20 am 
Future Drummer

Imagine typing that whole thing

PostPosted: Sun July 03, 2022 3:55 am 
Future Drummer

bart wrote:
Imagine typing that whole thing

I really do appreciate that BI posts here, there aren’t enough counter arguments. But yes, this is that type of post that I have typed out many times, but reread before hitting “post” and said. “Nah”.

PostPosted: Sun July 03, 2022 4:38 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Jorge wrote:
Mickey wrote:

I like that after all the platitudinous concern-trolling he gives us a little peek at the real fire in his soul with the "morbidly obese bluehairs" remark

Sorry, healthy-at-any size bluehairs.

PostPosted: Sun July 03, 2022 4:47 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Hell yeah, give in to the rot

PostPosted: Sun July 03, 2022 5:20 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Jorge wrote:
Hell yeah, give in to the rot

It would easier that way, to just behave like it’s all a joke. It’s just not me. I don’t concern troll platty, I actually care. I actually do. Its just probably been so long people don’t recognize it anymore or maybe they feel the need to lash out because of what it makes them feel about their lives and choices.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 30  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate