The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Women's Health Issues
PostPosted: Mon June 27, 2022 8:44 pm 
Rank This Poster

BurtReynolds wrote:
Rape exceptions don't make any sense, but risk to the mother does, short of some kind of really extreme fatalist Christian doctrine, which I don't think is taken very seriously.

And obviously state lines wouldn't matter in principle, but practically speaking they wouldn't be able to ban abortion where they have no power, assuming federal power is kept weak enough that it couldn't be used to force everyone under the same way of life.

so you want us to try to compromise with someone who thinks this?

PostPosted: Mon June 27, 2022 8:50 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

warehouse wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Rape exceptions don't make any sense, but risk to the mother does, short of some kind of really extreme fatalist Christian doctrine, which I don't think is taken very seriously.

And obviously state lines wouldn't matter in principle, but practically speaking they wouldn't be able to ban abortion where they have no power, assuming federal power is kept weak enough that it couldn't be used to force everyone under the same way of life.

If you think a human life is at stake, why would it matter if they were conceived by rape? There are plenty of people walking around who were conceived by rape. I don't see why they should have less right to life.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon June 27, 2022 8:51 pm 
Rank This Poster

BurtReynolds wrote:
warehouse wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

If you think a human life is at stake, why would it matter if they were conceived by rape? There are plenty of people walking around who were conceived by rape. I don't see why they should have less right to life.

why didn't you answer my question?

PostPosted: Mon June 27, 2022 8:52 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Or put another way: I don't know where you draw the line where abortion is too late, but I don't see why rape would allow for an exemption for crossing that line.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon June 27, 2022 8:54 pm 

I do think danger to the mother's life would justify crossing that line, though.

PostPosted: Mon June 27, 2022 8:55 pm 
Rank This Poster

BurtReynolds wrote:
Or put another way: I don't know where you draw the line where abortion is too late, but I don't see why rape would allow for an exemption for crossing that line.

i'm a dude and will never give birth, so that is not a line i can draw

PostPosted: Mon June 27, 2022 8:57 pm 

warehouse wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

i'm a dude and will never give birth, so that is not a line i can draw

You don't have a say in determining when it's too late to have an abortion? That makes no sense.

PostPosted: Mon June 27, 2022 9:03 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
why would it matter if they were conceived by rape?

Right. So let’s go back to this
McParadigm wrote:
Absent the ability to compromise, the entire argument boils down to “why can’t you take the time to listen and understand where I’m coming from, so you can see why I can never compromise with you.“

What compromise package would a religious right anti-abortion voter be prepared to engage with?

PostPosted: Mon June 27, 2022 9:13 pm 

None. That's what I was getting at. No compromise is possible. I think I was just under the impression there was some kind of attempt at debate about it (which is interesting to me), but then I realized that hasn't been the case for decades so...

PostPosted: Mon June 27, 2022 9:17 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

McParadigm wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

McParadigm wrote:
Absent the ability to compromise, the entire argument boils down to “why can’t you take the time to listen and understand where I’m coming from, so you can see why I can never compromise with you.“

What compromise package would a religious right anti-abortion voter be prepared to engage with?

Either they don't have the numbers to dictate the outcome or they are inconsistent. If people voted in-line with Gallup polling on this issue in particular, we'd have a Europe like compromise of 12 weeks.

PostPosted: Mon June 27, 2022 9:30 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
None. That's what I was getting at. No compromise is possible. I think I was just under the impression there was some kind of attempt at debate about it (which is interesting to me), but then I realized that hasn't been the case for decades so...

There is a debate. And it includes everybody except the people you are describing. Rejection of compromise is also self-ejection from the compromise table.

simple schoolboy wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

McParadigm wrote:

Either they don't have the numbers to dictate the outcome or they are inconsistent. If people voted in-line with Gallup polling on this issue in particular, we'd have a Europe like compromise of 12 weeks.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon June 27, 2022 9:47 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
Burt is well aware. He has pointed out multiple times in the past that, for a person with a religion-based opposition to abortion, there is zero justification for ever compromising on the issue.

And there isn’t….not for rape, not for risk to the mother, and not for state lines. That’s exactly why they would never support common sense compromise positions like the ones put forward by Bi_3…the legal enforcement of their theocratic values on this issue is the only answer that isn’t horrific mortal sin.

But that is also the perfect demonstration of why it’s a waste of time to even bother. Absent the ability to compromise, the entire argument boils down to “why can’t you take the time to listen and understand where I’m coming from, so you can see why I can never compromise with you.“

I assume you're talking about the Evangelical types, I agree. There is no common ground to be found there and it is a waste of time to try an persuade them to compromise. As Schoolboy pointed out, they don't have the numbers, they are just more dedicated to vote centrally on this issue:

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/re ... -abortion/

Here's the data on the issue bundling (from schoolboy's source):

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx

For close to 3/4 of voters it's not a deciding issue (I suspect that number will go down temporarily this summer). So if the blue team will "primary" anyone who doesn't share unpopular activist views on other culture wars issues, they will lose by association on abortion.

PostPosted: Mon June 27, 2022 9:54 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

There is a debate. And it includes everybody except the people you are describing. Rejection of compromise is also self-ejection from the compromise table.

There is no debate on the subject of abortion itself, though, or at least not much anymore. Not by the left or the right. Not saying there should be, though.

As for what laws are made, that's a mixture of a lot of things, only one of which is compromise. Refusal to compromise always has a seat at the table, too.

PostPosted: Mon June 27, 2022 11:00 pm 
Future Drummer

I am in 100% agreement that exceptions for anything other than the life of the mother are bullshit. The exception ends up undermining the basic argument.

PostPosted: Mon June 27, 2022 11:10 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Lol. Lmao.

PostPosted: Mon June 27, 2022 11:26 pm 
Rank This Poster

Rob wrote:
I am in 100% agreement that exceptions for anything other than the life of the mother are bullshit. The exception ends up undermining the basic argument.

what if the baby has something wrong with it and will only live a short time?

i'm not even going to get into rape. in fact there should be a law that women are allowed to murder the unborn child of their rapist just so we're clear about everything.

does anyone on the pro-life side of things actually think this is going to prevent abortions?

PostPosted: Mon June 27, 2022 11:32 pm 

That's certainly a take!

PostPosted: Mon June 27, 2022 11:36 pm 

warehouse wrote:

I don't know but that reminds me about how Downs Syndrome people have been aborted out of existence in some places and it's hard to not see some eugenics at play here, but the future of all of this is going to get very weird.

PostPosted: Mon June 27, 2022 11:41 pm 
Rank This Poster

BurtReynolds wrote:
warehouse wrote:

I don't know but that reminds me about how Downs Syndrome people have been aborted out of existence in some places and it's hard to not see some eugenics at play here, but the future of all of this is going to get very weird.

you've already demonstrated you are only here to play dumbass 'gotcha' internet games. let me know when you have an opinion. i'm obviously not talking about Downs Syndrome.

PostPosted: Mon June 27, 2022 11:43 pm 

Well die mad about it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 30  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate