The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Women's Health Issues
PostPosted: Tue September 13, 2022 7:02 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Thu September 15, 2022 12:19 pm 
Major Dude

So the states can decide whether or not you can make the choice but the feds will just take the choice away?

PostPosted: Thu September 15, 2022 4:13 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

i thought life begins at conception

PostPosted: Thu September 15, 2022 4:22 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

wease wrote:
So the states can decide whether or not you can make the choice but the feds will just take the choice away?

15 weeks is usually cited in polls as when folks want the cut-off. Perhaps this is actually middle ground to win back women voters? Like if a federal law exists then it overrides state bans. Several Dems (and the two pro-choice red team women) were trying to this for months to pass a law that codifies Roe, but since a lot of Dems want to run on abortion for November they aren't getting much traction.

PostPosted: Thu September 15, 2022 4:28 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

A federal law would not, as far as I understand it, override state law.

PostPosted: Thu September 15, 2022 4:31 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Mickey wrote:

how would a state law not be preempted if it’s less restrictive?

PostPosted: Thu September 15, 2022 5:12 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Mickey wrote:

It would override less restrictive laws but allow states to impose more restrictive laws.

PostPosted: Thu September 15, 2022 5:36 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

4/5 wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Mickey wrote:

It would override less restrictive laws but allow states to impose more restrictive laws.

Sorry, yes, to be clear, and as far as I understand it, Graham's proposal would override the laws permitting abortions at later stages in New York but would not stop Mississippi from imposing a near total ban. Which is why I don't really understand Bi_3's argument--this would further restrict abortion rights in blue states, it would not create some kind of national middle ground framework.

PostPosted: Thu September 15, 2022 6:16 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Mickey wrote:
4/5 wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Sorry, yes, to be clear, and as far as I understand it, Graham's proposal would override the laws permitting abortions at later stages in New York but would not stop Mississippi from imposing a near total ban. Which is why I don't really understand Bi_3's argument--this would further restrict abortion rights in blue states, it would not create some kind of national middle ground framework.

it also completely undermines the two bases of most anti-choice people: (1) states' rights (it can't be that it should be up to the states only when they align with my position), and (2) life begins at conception.

PostPosted: Thu September 15, 2022 7:11 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I don't think most anti-choice folks actually believe in states' rights, I think it's just a rhetorical position they take to defend their non-compliance with the standard of Roe or their joy in its erosion. They'd love to pass a national ban if it felt achievable.

PostPosted: Thu September 15, 2022 7:55 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Mickey wrote:
I don't think most anti-choice folks actually believe in states' rights, I think it's just a rhetorical position they take to defend their non-compliance with the standard of Roe or their joy in its erosion. They'd love to pass a national ban if it felt achievable.

Blowing up Wickard v. Filburn is also an objective, and this can be seen as in line with that

PostPosted: Thu September 15, 2022 8:53 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Mickey wrote:
4/5 wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Sorry, my post was very unclear. I meant a middle ground for the red team where they take pressure off vulnerable candidates so they can simultaneously claim a victory against abortion and yet allow it in case where the voting public overwhelmingly wants it legal and would vote red if not for the total bans. Hypocritical sleight-of-hand.

PostPosted: Thu September 15, 2022 9:20 pm 
Future Drummer

Chris H_2, I believe you’re a lawyer ? I just want to know, not just from you, but if life begins at conception is there ever justification for an abortion? Why would a rape be a a justification? Seems to be that unless the life of the mother was in jeopardy (forcing a choice) it’s all off the table. The pro life side seems to embrace a personhood type argument from conception but still lacks the political support.

PostPosted: Thu September 15, 2022 9:41 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Rob wrote:
Chris H_2, I believe you’re a lawyer ? I just want to know, not just from you, but if life begins at conception is there ever justification for an abortion? Why would a rape be a a justification? Seems to be that unless the life of the mother was in jeopardy (forcing a choice) it’s all off the table. The pro life side seems to embrace a personhood type argument from conception but still lacks the political support.

Some interesting discussion around this here: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/philippa-foot/

Mickey/McP/Orpheus(if he still reads this fourm) might have better links.

PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2022 1:49 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Mickey wrote:

I think this is right. There are obviously some people who are both pro-life and actually believe in states' rights but I think that's a pretty small share. States' rights is more often just a rallying cry when somebody opposes a particular federal policy. To be a true states' rightser I think you have to oppose federal legislation that you happen to agree with and support the rights of states to make policies you disagree with. Obviously, those people exist and simple_schoolboy may very well be one but I agree that ultimately a much larger swath of the pro-life crowd would happily embrace a federal abortion ban without blinking.

PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2022 2:07 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Most people want control over everyone through continental or global dominance, it's true.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2022 2:28 pm 
The Master

Control is an illusion.

PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2022 4:02 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Rob wrote:

i think this is more of a philosophical/moral question than legal though, right?

PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2022 4:43 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

4/5 wrote:
Mickey wrote:

I think this is right. There are obviously some people who are both pro-life and actually believe in states' rights but I think that's a pretty small share. States' rights is more often just a rallying cry when somebody opposes a particular federal policy. To be a true states' rightser I think you have to oppose federal legislation that you happen to agree with and support the rights of states to make policies you disagree with. Obviously, those people exist and simple_schoolboy may very well be one but I agree that ultimately a much larger swath of the pro-life crowd would happily embrace a federal abortion ban without blinking.

In a great object lesson for this, my in-laws claimed to be against Roe on states' rights grounds but fervently support federal dog fighting legislation.

PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2022 4:44 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Which is wild because dog fighting is arguably a much more regionally-specific cultural practice tied to communally-produced notions of rights than abortion is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate