The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post subject: Re: What are the top 5 issues that influence how you vote?
PostPosted: Wed February 19, 2020 7:54 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed February 19, 2020 8:02 pm 
Gone

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I feel like people get caught up in this whole “pot smoker” image and forget about the medical benefits of edibles (which don’t even always have THC). I’ve never used any myself but I have seen how hugely it helps my wife with her bipolar disorder and depression and anxiety and pain and all that shit. She found a blend that relieves a ton of issues without getting her “high.” It’s crazy that this is illegal for so many Americans.

Correct. And it will be legalized at some point. But to list it twice in a top 5 issues list is juvenile. There are actual existential threats to be concerned with.

PostPosted: Wed February 19, 2020 8:27 pm 
Rank This Poster

verb_to_trust wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
warehouse wrote:
Legalization of marijuana
wealth disparity
healthcare
gun manufacturers
marijuana legalization

How does 'legalization of marijuana' differ from 'marijuana legalization'?

It doesn't. Weed humpers just don't know how to prioritize the real issues in their lives.

that and our sense of humor goes over your head

PostPosted: Wed February 19, 2020 8:29 pm 
Future Drummer

verb_to_trust wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I feel like people get caught up in this whole “pot smoker” image and forget about the medical benefits of edibles (which don’t even always have THC). I’ve never used any myself but I have seen how hugely it helps my wife with her bipolar disorder and depression and anxiety and pain and all that shit. She found a blend that relieves a ton of issues without getting her “high.” It’s crazy that this is illegal for so many Americans.

Correct. And it will be legalized at some point. But to list it twice in a top 5 issues list is juvenile. There are actual existential threats to be concerned with.

How it is enforced, incarceration rates, ability to gain employment (income inequality), and ability to travel freely around the world are pretty big issues directly tied to pot legalization. I have no issue with someone making it a top five issue.

PostPosted: Wed February 19, 2020 8:37 pm 
Rank This Poster

tragabigzanda wrote:
disagree 100%, and i held that view as a pot smoker for 22 years before recently quitting. federal decriminalization is the way to go on this until there's some sort of reliable DUI test available. And that comes from my experience of driving while supremely stoned a lot in my teens and early 20s, without killing someone just from my dumb luck. But obviously any sentences for small-time possession should be overturned.

there's test now, but i'm not sure how reliable they are. i've smoked pot most of my life and dabbled in a number of other substances, legal and otherwise, and pot has had the least effect on my motor skills. i'm not sure there's any way anyone can convince me that a society that allows the recreational use of alcohol shouldn't allow the recreational use of marijuana. yes, i know testing for DUI of alcohol is easier than for pot, but that means we need to invest in better testing methods, not continue with this ridiculous prohibition on pot.

PostPosted: Wed February 19, 2020 9:13 pm 
Gone

WeED aCtUallY MaKes me DrIVe BETTER!!

You need testing that tells you if you are high that can be done during or immediately after the traffic stop. Said testing does not exist. If testing was developed to satisfy what law enforcement needs to do in those situations, legalization would become a much easier hurdle to clear. So maybe all the weed bois should get in the science lab instead of worrying about producing the next cutely named strain that delivers galaxy brain powers.

PostPosted: Wed February 19, 2020 10:39 pm 
Rank This Poster

verb_to_trust wrote:
WeED aCtUallY MaKes me DrIVe BETTER!!

You need testing that tells you if you are high that can be done during or immediately after the traffic stop. Said testing does not exist. If testing was developed to satisfy what law enforcement needs to do in those situations, legalization would become a much easier hurdle to clear. So maybe all the weed bois should get in the science lab instead of worrying about producing the next cutely named strain that delivers galaxy brain powers.

everything you said about testing we agree on. i know there's been some devices that are still in the infancy stage, but testing for DUI of pot is important and will only help legalization. i'm pretty sure everyone in this thread talking about marijuana doesnt want people driving around super baked. just like no one wants a drunk person on the roads.

and with all due respect, the rest of your post makes you sound like a fucking idiot. i was hoping to discuss this like adults, but clearly that is not your intention, so fuck it. no one said weed makes anyone drive better. no one said anything about "galaxy brain powers" or any of the other dumb stereotypes you've made. i'd be insulted, but its clear you have either been negatively effected by someone who misused pot, or your head is so far up your ass you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. its 2020, not everyone who uses marijuana is a character from Half Baked. doctors, scientists, professional athletes, people from all walks of life have been vocal about the positive effect marijuana has on both physical and mental issues.

PostPosted: Wed February 19, 2020 11:58 pm 
Gone

Fuck your plant (it should still be legal).

Rank the impairment level you've experienced for each drug you've been on while driving. We already know weed is last, but how about all the others?

PostPosted: Thu February 20, 2020 12:32 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I care so little about marijuana legalization, now that I live in a place where it is already legal and I am on it all of the time. Weird that.

Actually, I didn’t care before either, but to be fair I’d never tried it.

PostPosted: Thu February 20, 2020 12:48 am 
Poster of the Year

Weed's been legal in my state for a while now and I've not even stepped foot inside a legal dispensary.

PostPosted: Thu February 20, 2020 12:10 pm 
Broken Tamborine

1. Social capital
2. rent seeking
3. health care
4. housing
5. education

You could really group the last three together under the "affordability crisis" umbrella. You could even group 2 and 3 together and say that I hate inefficient markets.

I also care about the structure of political power. The amount that I care about the policies of a particular candidate weighs on whether they are running in a local, state, or national election.

PostPosted: Thu February 20, 2020 3:38 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu February 20, 2020 4:56 pm 
AnalLog

In no particular order:
Returning some civility to political discourse and reversing the trend of division in our society.

Establishing a system where healthcare coverage is provided for everyone (not necessarily MFA).

A ban on assault weapons.

Sensible immigration reform that doesn’t involve demonizing immigrants, includes a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants in good standing, and to dreamers.

Income inequality.

PostPosted: Thu February 20, 2020 7:01 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

1. Are they a patriot?
2. Climate
3. Are they a decent person?
4. Do they care about normal people and seem to have a real understanding of what life is like for us? This encompasses a lot, obv
5. Guns
6. That magic x-factor of some combination of intelligence, articulateness, policy chops, charisma, humor, etc.

PostPosted: Thu February 20, 2020 11:37 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

1) Reducing Cost of Healthcare
2) Reducing Cost of Education
3) Retirement Security - e.g. ensuring that people can actually afford to retire
4) Infrastructure improvements
5) Environment

#5 could be #1 except I think that breakthroughs from the private sector are coming and may fix a good deal naturally via market dynamics / competitive obsolescence. there is demand for green now. assuming some asswipe isnt in office to bury it and coddle status quo hydrocarbon reliance, the market might take care of it assuming demand keeps increasing and makes solving it profitable

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Thu February 20, 2020 11:37 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I am going to assume that Rule of Law and Civil Rights are in tact and not open for discussion

but based on recent trends people should be concerned about that if DJT is re-elected

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate