The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Australian Politics
PostPosted: Mon July 13, 2015 4:36 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

cutuphalfdead wrote:
We've had a debate about putting wind turbines off the coast of cape cod in massachusetts for decades now. The people against the idea are pretty much just the rich folk with coastal cape cod property worried about their view.

There's always NIMBY-ism, but with all the tax incentives involved that benefit folks like T Boone Pickens, one must be skeptical of these sorts of things.

However, I am open to the idea of squandering tax money to spite the population of Martha's Vineyard.

PostPosted: Mon July 13, 2015 8:16 am 
10Club Complaint Department

ridleybradout wrote:

Quote:
The decision will please anti-wind cross-bench senators such as David Leyonhjelm​. But wind industry insiders, who declined to comment on the record, say the decision is a "big blow".

PostPosted: Mon July 13, 2015 9:25 am 
Posting (live)

While we are talking energy.

http://m.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/government-pulls-the-plug-on-household-solar-20150712-gian0u.html
Quote:
The Abbott government has opened up another front in its war on renewable energy by pulling the plug on investments in the most common form of alternative energy, rooftop and small-scale solar.

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2015 4:05 am 
A Return To Form

Australia is probably the one place in the world I hope I never end up. Its hot as shit, all the time, and it holds some of the most poisonous insects and snakes on the planet-and home to the huntsman spider, a big fucker...

I know it has nice scenery, etc..so does where I live, better even, imo.

idk maybe the FOTC ruined it for me, definite bias for New Zealand and natives these days...

Keitha the Australian dates Jemaine the NZer.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjXVELPIq5k

We are an impossibility in an impossible universe.

PostPosted: Mon September 14, 2015 4:37 am 

Even I will give props to this guy's impeccable timing.

PostPosted: Mon September 14, 2015 6:26 am 

It's all happening, guys!

I can't say I'm disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon September 14, 2015 6:36 am 
Future Drummer

Birds in Hell wrote:

The Labor Party sure will be - Abbott was their best asset.

PostPosted: Mon September 14, 2015 6:38 am 

ridleybradout wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

The Labor Party sure will be - Abbott was their best asset.

Ha, indeed (providing Turnbull wins, of course.)

PostPosted: Mon September 14, 2015 11:00 am 
Posting (live)

Apparently Tony might miss out on qualifying for the Prime Minister pension by just a few days if he gets the boot tonight. 4 days in fact.

:nice:

PostPosted: Mon September 14, 2015 12:03 pm 
A Return To Form

bunch of convicts

We are an impossibility in an impossible universe.

PostPosted: Mon September 14, 2015 12:27 pm 
Posting (live)

Haha, I just heard a reporter say the Herald is running with a tag that Turnbull is Liberal's New Direction.

I did a campaign in 1994(ish) for the SA Labour party and that was their tagline for the first week until it was pointed out that it sounds like nude erection.

I guess it's accurate enough.

PostPosted: Mon September 14, 2015 11:02 pm 
Poster of the Year

Vote for Andy

PostPosted: Mon September 14, 2015 11:04 pm 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

I couldn't be more pleased with the way this turned out.

PostPosted: Tue September 15, 2015 1:29 am 

A big night for my local federal member, clearly (Jamie Briggs, in wheelchair):

Guys, this is bloody great.

PostPosted: Fri September 18, 2015 8:49 am 
Posting (live)

This is breathtakingly amazing.

PostPosted: Fri September 18, 2015 9:35 am 
Future Drummer

:nice:

PostPosted: Sat September 19, 2015 8:21 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

I don't know much at all about this, but this leadership change likely means no new subs, correct? Is this a significant issue domestically, or only as far as local jobs are concerned?

PostPosted: Sun September 20, 2015 8:05 am 

simple schoolboy wrote:
I don't know much at all about this, but this leadership change likely means no new subs, correct? Is this a significant issue domestically, or only as far as local jobs are concerned?

The general feel is that the contract for subs would have been awarded to Japan had Abbott continued as PM with construction being done largely, if not entirely, overseas.

Under Turnbull (the new PM) there is a good chance the subs will be primarily built in South Australia, my home state. It's a big issue locally as we have the highest unemployment rate in the country currently.

PostPosted: Mon September 21, 2015 1:22 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

Quote:
Kicking The Abbott

https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/201 ... 5848002386

It is no exaggeration to say Tony Abbott is the worst prime minister Australia has had. To the extent that his brief and destructive leadership of the country is remembered, it will not be remembered well.

Abbott is a prime minister without a legacy. In attempting to defend one this week, he came up with not much: some jobs, a few trade agreements, an infrastructure project, a border protection regime founded on human rights abuses, a royal commission so compromised by bias its own commissioner had to consider removing himself.

Abbott governed for the past and the few conservatives desperate to continue living there. He governed against science and in contempt of the environment. He governed in opposition to social equality, in terror of reform. His was a government of fear and avoidance, a rolling sideshow anxiously avoiding the fact it had nothing to add and no idea what to do.

Abbott spent his time in opposition degrading the office of the prime minister. His was a campaign of debasement: a coarsening of debate, a running down of the respect once stored in the institution. Those who say he was a fine opposition leader do so in error. There is no victory in destroying what you set out to win.

On prevailing at the 2013 election, he placed on his head a small and tinny crown. He did nothing to repair it in the years that have passed since. Indeed, he added only to its dents and tarnish.

He treated law like a plaything. He made policy at odds with the country’s own constitution. He fought consensus and held out against change. He refused humility. He let run the island camps where women and children are raped and men killed. He turned in from the world. He mocked treaties. He failed obligations. He fed prejudice wherever he could.

He was a coward with reform. He left the tax system lumbering and unfair. He failed to articulate policy. He hectored the ABC, cowing it and becoming ludicrously involved in editorial processes. He shunned innovation. He craved distraction.

Abbott’s great fear, and the fear of those people left supporting him, is tomorrow. He is fearful of same-sex marriage. Fearful of an economy remade by climate change. Fearful of the fair distribution of taxes. Fearful of power as it ebbs away from the places where it was once concentrated. But tomorrow is always close; his prime ministership was always doomed.

Abbott is an experiment that failed. He is proof that Australia cannot be governed from the far right, just as it cannot be governed from the far left. He was the last hope and final holdout of a group of people wishing desperately against a modern Australia.

His time in the office leaves a hole in this country’s agenda. A period of incompetent stasis. Two wasted years we must now hungrily get back.

He will not be missed. He should not be praised. He was a failure selfishly wishing that the world would fail with him. We can only hope his like will not be seen again.

PostPosted: Mon September 21, 2015 1:41 am 
Future Drummer

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate