Switch to full style
Engage in discussions about news, politics, etc.
Post a reply

Re: The Supreme Court

Thu September 06, 2018 8:42 pm

Harris really seemed to be grandstanding. I don't want this guy confirmed, but totally understood his viewpoint to her attempts to get him to admit to something he really wasn't sure of.

Thu September 06, 2018 8:48 pm

McParadigm wrote:I’m not clear what Booker’s intentions are.

He's running for president.

Thu September 06, 2018 8:51 pm

So they're releasing (confidential) documents after the hearing started?

Thu September 06, 2018 8:56 pm

logan5ive wrote:So they're releasing (confidential) documents after the hearing started?

It’s Fox News, so we should wait for a separate confirmation but it sounds like the markings were changed to allow public disclosure vs committee only per direct request from Bookers office. So if that’s what you meant, yes.

Thu September 06, 2018 9:41 pm

Bi_3 wrote:you may want to sit down for this, but:

Fox News wrote:“We cleared the documents last night shortly after Senator Booker’s staff asked us to,” said Bill Burck, a lawyer for Bush involved in the release of documents. “We were surprised to learn about Senator Booker’s histrionics this morning because we had already told him he could use the documents publicly."

"Apparently, some just wanted to break the rules and make a scene, but didn’t check their email," a spokesman for committee Republicans said in a statement. The committee posted the same documents.

Huh. It's almost like they're manufacturing outrage, or engaging in cheap political theater.

Thu September 06, 2018 10:30 pm

“settled law” not “settled law” what relevance do these things have when vetting the single individual holding the swing vote that will dramatically fundamentally alter the future biological course of hundreds of millions of people

Thu September 06, 2018 10:34 pm

Thu September 06, 2018 10:36 pm

hm lying is not a good feature of a JUDGE

Thu September 06, 2018 10:44 pm

96583UP wrote:hm lying is not a good feature of a JUDGE

Which lies in particular?

Thu September 06, 2018 10:46 pm

Bi_3 wrote:

What time did he say he'd be on stage?

Thu September 06, 2018 10:51 pm

I seriously doubt Kavanaugh cares about any of this. It's a foregone conclusion that he will be confirmed, regardless of what they dig up (which up to this point has been nothing).

Thu September 06, 2018 11:02 pm

Bi_3 wrote:

Kavanaugh says he never received documents that even **appeared** to have been drafted or prepared by Democratic staff. Then documents are leaked showing he discussed receiving them, that they were flatly labeled as such, and that he was aware. He changes his story to “I thought it was ok.”

Kavanaugh says he was not in any way involved in Bill Pryor’s nomination, then documents leak showing he was directly involved.

Kavanaugh to the panel: R v W is settled. Kavanaugh in documents: not really tho lol.

Kavanaugh is then, after all of this, asked a question about another sensitive topic, and gives an answer (basically “I’m happy to be reminded what I have said”) that is more or less “tell me what you know I have said first so I don’t get caught in a lie.” He also spent almost all of the afternoon refusing to answer questions, which was a big shift from before the doc dump started.

I do agree with Burt that there’s no stopping his approval though.

Thu September 06, 2018 11:22 pm

You forgot the time he lied during his background investigation when he failed to disclose that in 2004 he did a rolling stop leaving Hollywood Video with a used Seabiscut DVD in hand

Thu September 06, 2018 11:38 pm

Yeah what’s a little lying under oath after all

Fri September 07, 2018 12:08 am

Fri September 07, 2018 12:18 am

Bi_3 wrote:
ABNorman wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:So much for private conversations between government officials.

Oh no.

Laugh all you want, this is going to have serious long term effects on how officials communicate.

That's the same thing they said after the first wikileaks release of the diplomatic cables. Didn't happen.

Fri September 07, 2018 12:37 am

Simple Torture wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

What time did he say he'd be on stage?

at least we got to buy a lot of MAGA merch while we waited

Fri September 07, 2018 12:39 am

96583UP wrote:
Simple Torture wrote: