The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 135  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Wed July 08, 2020 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Site Admin
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 12, 2012 10:33 pm
Posts: 6495
elliseamos wrote:
Tomorrow is a big day.

Is there any chance Roberts just chickens out, makes no ruling and punts this down to the lower courts who'll be left to fight with Barr et al. for the next 5 months (assuming Biden wins).
I think the chance of that is high. That's what happened in the DACA case.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 2:55 am 
Offline
User avatar
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:08 pm
Posts: 6845
Location: 5th floor, Bay 7, position 5740
The Washington Post is reporting that all remaining decisions for this term will be released Thursday morning.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 2:55 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 56298
Location: Sector 7-G
Yeah isn't tomorrow the last day of the term?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 2:57 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 19166
Jesus has definitely won the last few rounds

_________________
All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 4:17 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 24968
Location: Illinois
Trump is going to win bigly tomorrow


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 5:32 am 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:41 am
Posts: 2187
Green Habit wrote:
Well, today's opinions sucked. A double dose of giving religious organizations exemptions that secular ones cannot enjoy.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/1 ... 7_1an2.pdf
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/1 ... 1_5i36.pdf


There are of course two ways to read this. ;)

The reverse ruling would make religious institutions that do anything other than ministerial activities untenable. I don't understand the complaint other than, "progressive activists should be able to infiltrate and use the skin of any religious organization they want as cover for future activism".

They got the Methodists, and most other mainline protestant orgs. The Catholics can't stay Catholic?

Your adjacency to Mormons must temper your view, as my adjacency to no organized religion of note tempers mine.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 1:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:08 pm
Posts: 6845
Location: 5th floor, Bay 7, position 5740
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Yeah isn't tomorrow the last day of the term?


Yes, it is. They extended their term past July 4, which is rare, but I was not aware that today was the last day until this morning.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 2:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 20193
Starting off with a bang

_________________
(patriotic choking noises)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 2:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Site Admin
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 12, 2012 10:33 pm
Posts: 6495
Trump records case #1, the NY one: Roberts is joined by the left wing, Gorsuch and Kanavaugh concur in the judgment.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/1 ... 5_o7jq.pdf


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 2:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 20193
No way

_________________
(patriotic choking noises)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 2:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 6970
Location: I am taking care of some ducks
verb_to_trust wrote:
Trump is going to win bigly tomorrow


Lol whoops! Not that it matters but

_________________
a sweet boy with a friendly disposition and a good sense of humor


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 2:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Site Admin
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 12, 2012 10:33 pm
Posts: 6495
Still reading, but Alito's dissent looks to be ridiculously on fire, and it would be an embarrassing way for him to go out if he does indeed retire, even if it is fitting.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 2:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Site Admin
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 12, 2012 10:33 pm
Posts: 6495
Trump records case #2, the House one: looks to me on first glance that they punted, on the same 7-2 vote split.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/1 ... 5_febh.pdf


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 2:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Site Admin
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 12, 2012 10:33 pm
Posts: 6495
simple schoolboy wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Well, today's opinions sucked. A double dose of giving religious organizations exemptions that secular ones cannot enjoy.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/1 ... 7_1an2.pdf
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/1 ... 1_5i36.pdf


There are of course two ways to read this. ;)

The reverse ruling would make religious institutions that do anything other than ministerial activities untenable. I don't understand the complaint other than, "progressive activists should be able to infiltrate and use the skin of any religious organization they want as cover for future activism".

They got the Methodists, and most other mainline protestant orgs. The Catholics can't stay Catholic?

Your adjacency to Mormons must temper your view, as my adjacency to no organized religion of note tempers mine.
I should note that I'm far angrier about the fucking contraceptives case, which is a arbitrarily patriarchal and vicious cutout to the law. I'm not categorically down on the ministerial exception, but I do worry that it's going to get too broad.

Here in Boise, there's roughly the same percentage each of irreligious, Catholics and Mormons, so I'm not sure which way I should temper there.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 2:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:08 pm
Posts: 6845
Location: 5th floor, Bay 7, position 5740
Wow, I wasn't expecting them to return both cases back to the lower courts.
It buys Trump time but both imply that the records will eventually have to be handed over.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Site Admin
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 12, 2012 10:33 pm
Posts: 6495
Biff Pocoroba wrote:
Wow, I wasn't expecting them to return both cases back to the lower courts.
It buys Trump time but both imply that the records will eventually have to be handed over.
The key here is that they don't ultimately answer either way until after the election, reducing its salience on the campaign trail. It could heat up in either direction depending on if Trump loses or not.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 3:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 10, 2013 2:19 am
Posts: 5491
Location: SOUTH PORTLAND
Green Habit wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Tomorrow is a big day.

Is there any chance Roberts just chickens out, makes no ruling and punts this down to the lower courts who'll be left to fight with Barr et al. for the next 5 months (assuming Biden wins).
I think the chance of that is high. That's what happened in the DACA case.

dammit.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 3:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 13027
Location: An office full of assholes
It's hard to disagree with the reasoning of either case. Fundamentally, the central question of whether a sitting president can be investigated for crimes while still in office seems to be answered, and correctly. Likewise, whether a legislative branch without prosecutorial powers can legitimately subpoena documents that more than likely in no way advances legislation also seems to be correctly answered.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 3:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 10, 2013 2:19 am
Posts: 5491
Location: SOUTH PORTLAND
Chris_H_2 wrote:
It's hard to disagree with the reasoning of either case. Fundamentally, the central question of whether a sitting president can be investigated for crimes while still in office seems to be answered, and correctly. Likewise, whether a legislative branch without prosecutorial powers can legitimately subpoena documents that more than likely in no way advances legislation also seems to be correctly answered.

If not through subpoena, how then does The House investigate/determine whether to bring impeachment charges?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 3:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 13027
Location: An office full of assholes
elliseamos wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
It's hard to disagree with the reasoning of either case. Fundamentally, the central question of whether a sitting president can be investigated for crimes while still in office seems to be answered, and correctly. Likewise, whether a legislative branch without prosecutorial powers can legitimately subpoena documents that more than likely in no way advances legislation also seems to be correctly answered.

If not through subpoena, how then does The House investigate/determine whether to bring impeachment charges?

I'm not sure it can, at least insofar as it concerns the executive branch. Impeachment is 100% a political exercise. And despite the "high crimes and misdemeanors" standard, there is nothing inherently criminal about it. In the political vein, if the House issues a subpoena to the President and she or he refuses to comply, then the answer may be that that refusal can (and indeed should) be considered in deciding whether to bring articles of impeachment.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 135  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: The Town and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Thu October 01, 2020 8:11 pm