Switch to full style
Engage in discussions about news, politics, etc.
Post a reply

Re: The Supreme Court

Tue February 19, 2019 10:15 pm

Bi_3 wrote:You aren’t worried that would lead to silencing dissent?
I'm quite worried about that if it's reconsidered improperly. I just don't like that, and have never understood why, public figures should have a higher bar to cross.

Wed February 20, 2019 4:43 pm

The Excessive Fines Clause of the Eighth Amendment has now been incorporated against the states.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/1 ... 1_5536.pdf

May this lead further toward a fall of civil asset forfeiture.

Thu February 21, 2019 8:38 am

Green Habit wrote:The Excessive Fines Clause of the Eighth Amendment has now been incorporated against the states.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/1 ... 1_5536.pdf

May this lead further toward a fall of civil asset forfeiture.

There's got to be more to this than what I've read. If states are filing civil actions against "One cadillac sedan", won't they try to claim that its not actually a fine? There's no individual being fined in the case of a vehicle getting impounded.

There must be more involved a ton of state level cases to make this change things for the better, right?

Separately:

How much more incorporation do we get before the death of the Slaughter-House cases?

Its crazy to hope for nationwide shall issue, but here I am.

Mon March 04, 2019 9:21 pm

I think French fundamentally misunderstands what it means for the Court to lose legitimacy. It has nothing to do about what one thinks is the proper interpretation of the Constitution, and everything to do with not having the political support from the other branches of government to follow through with that interpretation. If this Court veers too far to the right of where the nation's elected officials are, the majority risks losing its power to those branches, as what almost happened when FDR threatened to pack the Court in the 1930. And in the interest of fairness, it could have very well happened to the Warren Court as well had history bounced in a slightly different manner.

Tue March 12, 2019 5:12 pm

Mon April 01, 2019 8:14 pm

Mon April 01, 2019 8:53 pm

Green Habit wrote:Image

Is Trump going to catch onto this and do it before he leaves office?

Mon April 01, 2019 8:58 pm

I saw this thread pop up and thought for sure it would be about the Russell Bucklew decision.

Mon April 01, 2019 9:10 pm

B wrote:
Green Habit wrote:Image
Is Trump going to catch onto this and do it before he leaves office?
He can't do it now, GOP doesn't have the House anymore. Part of me does wonder why the Republicans didn't try this when they did have the power, though, since they've whined about even having Kennedy & O'Connor as the median seats for a long time.

Mon April 01, 2019 9:11 pm

McParadigm wrote:I saw this thread pop up and thought for sure it would be about the Russell Bucklew decision.
I guess I didn't find the outcome surprising at all.

Tue April 23, 2019 1:43 pm

Well this will be a high profile set of cases.

Tue April 23, 2019 5:16 pm

Mon May 13, 2019 4:45 pm

Thoughts on the news of the day, Court watchers?

Mon May 13, 2019 5:19 pm

McParadigm wrote:Thoughts on the news of the day, Court watchers?

Apple has high prices in the App store? I thought everything was $1.

Mon May 13, 2019 6:02 pm

McParadigm wrote:Thoughts on the news of the day, Court watchers?
SCOTUS is continuing to make it harder for individuals to sue states, a trend that's likely to continue.

Tue May 28, 2019 1:48 pm

SCOTUS summarily reverses the invalidation of Indiana's fetal remains law, and Thomas writes a fiery concurrence that plays the "abortion is comparable to eugenics" card.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/cou ... r_2dq3.pdf

Tue May 28, 2019 4:03 pm

So, if they have to cremate the remains, does that mean I can get a pricing system like at my vet?

"Do you want your fetus' ashes only or can we give you a scoop of ashes from all fetuses we've cremated lately?"

Tue May 28, 2019 4:30 pm

Our vet gave us the opportunity to just bury the body ourselves, so is that going to be an option?

Tue May 28, 2019 5:23 pm

Tue May 28, 2019 10:02 pm

Undue burden?
Post a reply