The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1890 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Sun October 07, 2018 4:31 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 36013
Location: Mountains
God, burt, bless your heart but i just couldnt read past this:

Quote:
Basically everyone on earth has been assaulted in one way or another. Actually, men are more likely to be physically assaulted. But yes, I'm sure every woman on the planet has been harassed and many have been sexually assaulted. That doesn't change anything I'm arguing.


An assault on a man is far fucking different and not even in the same fucking park as an assault on a women in which we are discussing here.

This comment above is exactly what is wrong with the current climate and im legit depressed this was your response. And this is where i think we just part ways on this discussion.

( i did read everything else you responded to and thank you)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Sun October 07, 2018 4:55 am 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 32830
Location: Buenos Aires
Strat wrote:
Quote:
Basically everyone on earth has been assaulted in one way or another. Actually, men are more likely to be physically assaulted. But yes, I'm sure every woman on the planet has been harassed and many have been sexually assaulted. That doesn't change anything I'm arguing.


An assault on a man is far fucking different and not even in the same fucking park as an assault on a women in which we are discussing here.

You guys are talking about completely different things, but then he acknowledged your point


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Sun October 07, 2018 5:09 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 36013
Location: Mountains
theplatypus wrote:
Strat wrote:
Quote:
Basically everyone on earth has been assaulted in one way or another. Actually, men are more likely to be physically assaulted. But yes, I'm sure every woman on the planet has been harassed and many have been sexually assaulted. That doesn't change anything I'm arguing.


An assault on a man is far fucking different and not even in the same fucking park as an assault on a women in which we are discussing here.

You guys are talking about completely different things, but then he acknowledged your point

yea but "Actually, men are more likely to be physically assaulted" when we are discussing the issue at hand here is very concerning and very telling about burts mind set, which is the mind set of many powerful men that are currently in the hot seat right now.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Sun October 07, 2018 5:09 am 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34287
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
I was getting a bit off topic there and we are arguing two things at once (that was more directed at the "men have it easy part", which illustrates your mindset).

There is obviously some (actually, much) capacity for understanding the suffering of others, regardless of what sex we are. But I'm not even denying what you said (at least not very much). I'm not downplaying sexual assault, it's commonality or the lasting impact it has. I'm saying these things don't override principles we have or justify rebalancing the playing field in the accusers favor, or justify some of the other crazy shit that's gone on during this confirmation process.

This isn't just about criminal cases either. It applies for supreme court nominations or just some random guy's reputation.

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Sun October 07, 2018 5:24 am 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34287
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
theplatypus wrote:
My take on the #BelieveWomen thing is: I have witnessed how difficult & scary it can be to come forward with a story of sexual assault, especially when it's against a person with power. My ex girlfriend saw that paralyzing, all-consuming fear every day at the foundation she ran. Not only do you have to deal with the personal and professional ramifications of an accusation like that, but you also have to brace for the immediate knee-jerk reaction of a larger audience, be it family, friends, or the public at large. That knee-jerk reaction is still -- despite the "woke" age we live in -- to be disbelieving, skeptical, and victim-blamey. I'm sure Burt will question this, because he thinks the world has collectively morphed into a SJW twitter mob, but I've seen it, and it is prevalent. This is anecdotal and irrelevant, of course; the point is: I understand the impetus behind #BelieveWomen. The idea, as I understand it, is to create a safer, more welcoming environment for victims to come forward and make those accusations, because that's part of how you fix shit. I personally have not come across anyone who argues that a victim's word alone should be enough to throw someone in jail. I'm sure they exist, but that's not what I believe the "movement" (if you can call it that?) to be about.

Here's the part of the post where Burt starts nodding along in agreement: #BelieveWomen (and its more extreme Pokemon evolution, #BelieveAllWomen) is inherently fallacious. Of course people lie. There are shitty, insane, evil people out there and it is outright naive to say that there aren't people who will take advantage of the political climate to bring someone else down. It is obvious to me that there should never be laws passed that are based around the cultural shift of something like #BelieveWomen. That is terrifying and dangerous, because the presumption of innocence is sacrosanct as a pillar of any rational justice system. I've seen the way the mindless horde will run with a concept like #BelieveWomen and take it to absurd lengths: a person of note is accused, however vaguely or anonymously, and they are immediately ripe for a dragging. This is because the moral righteousness that comes from feeling like one is on the "right side of history" is so fucking addictive. It's like a drug. Having carte blanche to destroy someone is fun. And this is disturbing, because an innocent person's reputation can be ruined because of something someone said somewhere. It's ugly. It's wrong. And I think it is fucked that having nuanced, complicated feelings on this topic will make you a villain in some people's eyes. I don't #BelieveAllWomen; I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt while also creating an environment of empathy and understanding that will hopefully motivate more victims to come forward. We should be empathetic, but we should also be discerning.

On Kavanaugh: I don't like him. I believe that he did it. I acknowledge that there is no evidence and that the accusation alone should not be enough to derail his nomination (and certainly not enough to prosecute him for anything). But I don't think it is desperate straw-grabbing to suggest that his composure and temperament should call his fitness into question.

Personally I don't think someone's temperament when accused of multiple rapes is a very good indicator of how they will perform on the court, and I have no idea if he did it or not, but otherwise I agree.

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Sun October 07, 2018 5:24 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 36013
Location: Mountains
BurtReynolds wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
My take on the #BelieveWomen thing is: I have witnessed how difficult & scary it can be to come forward with a story of sexual assault, especially when it's against a person with power. My ex girlfriend saw that paralyzing, all-consuming fear every day at the foundation she ran. Not only do you have to deal with the personal and professional ramifications of an accusation like that, but you also have to brace for the immediate knee-jerk reaction of a larger audience, be it family, friends, or the public at large. That knee-jerk reaction is still -- despite the "woke" age we live in -- to be disbelieving, skeptical, and victim-blamey. I'm sure Burt will question this, because he thinks the world has collectively morphed into a SJW twitter mob, but I've seen it, and it is prevalent. This is anecdotal and irrelevant, of course; the point is: I understand the impetus behind #BelieveWomen. The idea, as I understand it, is to create a safer, more welcoming environment for victims to come forward and make those accusations, because that's part of how you fix shit. I personally have not come across anyone who argues that a victim's word alone should be enough to throw someone in jail. I'm sure they exist, but that's not what I believe the "movement" (if you can call it that?) to be about.

Here's the part of the post where Burt starts nodding along in agreement: #BelieveWomen (and its more extreme Pokemon evolution, #BelieveAllWomen) is inherently fallacious. Of course people lie. There are shitty, insane, evil people out there and it is outright naive to say that there aren't people who will take advantage of the political climate to bring someone else down. It is obvious to me that there should never be laws passed that are based around the cultural shift of something like #BelieveWomen. That is terrifying and dangerous, because the presumption of innocence is sacrosanct as a pillar of any rational justice system. I've seen the way the mindless horde will run with a concept like #BelieveWomen and take it to absurd lengths: a person of note is accused, however vaguely or anonymously, and they are immediately ripe for a dragging. This is because the moral righteousness that comes from feeling like one is on the "right side of history" is so fucking addictive. It's like a drug. Having carte blanche to destroy someone is fun. And this is disturbing, because an innocent person's reputation can be ruined because of something someone said somewhere. It's ugly. It's wrong. And I think it is fucked that having nuanced, complicated feelings on this topic will make you a villain in some people's eyes. I don't #BelieveAllWomen; I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt while also creating an environment of empathy and understanding that will hopefully motivate more victims to come forward. We should be empathetic, but we should also be discerning.

On Kavanaugh: I don't like him. I believe that he did it. I acknowledge that there is no evidence and that the accusation alone should not be enough to derail his nomination (and certainly not enough to prosecute him for anything). But I don't think it is desperate straw-grabbing to suggest that his composure and temperament should call his fitness into question.

Personally I don't think someone's temperament when accused of multiple rapes is a very good indicator of how they will perform on the court, and I have no idea if he did it or not, but otherwise I agree.



He didn't do it. The Clintons did it. Obviously.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Sun October 07, 2018 5:32 am 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34287
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
Strat wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
My take on the #BelieveWomen thing is: I have witnessed how difficult & scary it can be to come forward with a story of sexual assault, especially when it's against a person with power. My ex girlfriend saw that paralyzing, all-consuming fear every day at the foundation she ran. Not only do you have to deal with the personal and professional ramifications of an accusation like that, but you also have to brace for the immediate knee-jerk reaction of a larger audience, be it family, friends, or the public at large. That knee-jerk reaction is still -- despite the "woke" age we live in -- to be disbelieving, skeptical, and victim-blamey. I'm sure Burt will question this, because he thinks the world has collectively morphed into a SJW twitter mob, but I've seen it, and it is prevalent. This is anecdotal and irrelevant, of course; the point is: I understand the impetus behind #BelieveWomen. The idea, as I understand it, is to create a safer, more welcoming environment for victims to come forward and make those accusations, because that's part of how you fix shit. I personally have not come across anyone who argues that a victim's word alone should be enough to throw someone in jail. I'm sure they exist, but that's not what I believe the "movement" (if you can call it that?) to be about.

Here's the part of the post where Burt starts nodding along in agreement: #BelieveWomen (and its more extreme Pokemon evolution, #BelieveAllWomen) is inherently fallacious. Of course people lie. There are shitty, insane, evil people out there and it is outright naive to say that there aren't people who will take advantage of the political climate to bring someone else down. It is obvious to me that there should never be laws passed that are based around the cultural shift of something like #BelieveWomen. That is terrifying and dangerous, because the presumption of innocence is sacrosanct as a pillar of any rational justice system. I've seen the way the mindless horde will run with a concept like #BelieveWomen and take it to absurd lengths: a person of note is accused, however vaguely or anonymously, and they are immediately ripe for a dragging. This is because the moral righteousness that comes from feeling like one is on the "right side of history" is so fucking addictive. It's like a drug. Having carte blanche to destroy someone is fun. And this is disturbing, because an innocent person's reputation can be ruined because of something someone said somewhere. It's ugly. It's wrong. And I think it is fucked that having nuanced, complicated feelings on this topic will make you a villain in some people's eyes. I don't #BelieveAllWomen; I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt while also creating an environment of empathy and understanding that will hopefully motivate more victims to come forward. We should be empathetic, but we should also be discerning.

On Kavanaugh: I don't like him. I believe that he did it. I acknowledge that there is no evidence and that the accusation alone should not be enough to derail his nomination (and certainly not enough to prosecute him for anything). But I don't think it is desperate straw-grabbing to suggest that his composure and temperament should call his fitness into question.

Personally I don't think someone's temperament when accused of multiple rapes is a very good indicator of how they will perform on the court, and I have no idea if he did it or not, but otherwise I agree.



He didn't do it. The Clintons did it. Obviously.

I don't remember the particulars of the Bill Clinton stuff, but I do remember he (consensually) stuck that cigar in that lady's hoo-ha.

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Sun October 07, 2018 6:29 am 
Offline
User avatar
I swallowed my face just to keep from biting
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 9982
Location: Space City
I'm swapping jerseys.

Team Plat


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Sun October 07, 2018 7:17 am 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34287
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
washing machine wrote:
I'm swapping jerseys.

Team Plat

We're still on the same team!

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Sun October 07, 2018 2:02 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 4460
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Either he is lying or she is lying. Who has more to gain by lying?



After reading some of the sad herstory in this thread, this stands out as a terribly illogical position that illustrates a lot of the problems being discussed here by restricting the possibilities to only the two worse options.

It’s entirely possible that are neither were lying but that one was simply wrong about something that happened 30+ years ago.

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Sun October 07, 2018 5:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 32830
Location: Buenos Aires
BurtReynolds wrote:
washing machine wrote:
I'm swapping jerseys.

Team Plat

We're still on the same team!

It is now called Team Plat


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Sun October 07, 2018 7:01 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 4460
And I think this tweet by one of the Colbert writers sums it up well:

Image

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Sun October 07, 2018 7:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 32830
Location: Buenos Aires
What do you mean? They're clearly being sarcastic. His life isn't ruined. He's in the Supreme Court!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Sun October 07, 2018 7:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 51569
Location: Sector 7-G
on, not in


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Sun October 07, 2018 7:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34287
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
theplatypus wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
washing machine wrote:
I'm swapping jerseys.

Team Plat

We're still on the same team!

It is now called Team Plat

Well this is bullshit

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Sun October 07, 2018 8:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 32830
Location: Buenos Aires
cutuphalfdead wrote:
on, not in

I meant at


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Sun October 07, 2018 8:42 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 4460
cutuphalfdead wrote:
on, not in


Stop defending Kavanaugh

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Sun October 07, 2018 8:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 51569
Location: Sector 7-G
Bi_3 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
on, not in


Stop defending Kavanaugh

lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Sun October 07, 2018 11:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 9606
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Shocking news ... #BelieveWomen didn't start with Kavanaugh. It started from women not being taken seriously by cops when they reported rape and thus the investigations were half-assed and incomplete. Of course, they're bound by rules of evidence, but cops who think a woman has been raped investigate very differently than cops who think a woman was being slutty and then changed her mind.

Image

Read that, and then ... well ... never send your daughter to college.

_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Tue October 09, 2018 12:54 am 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 9606
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
I'm kind of bored with people bitching that Kavanaugh was presumed guilty. The Democrats requested that the FBI investigate the claims. That's specifically NOT a presumption of guilt.

_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1890 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Thu October 18, 2018 5:46 am