The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 191  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Mon September 17, 2018 3:25 pm 
The Master

Green Habit wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
starting to think they might actually sink Kavanaugh
This certainly matters more than anything else that's been discussed.

Still, even if the GOP loses the Senate in November (and that's far from assured), they have until January to cram through an alternate to Kavanaugh that's likely to vote the same way he would.

Could be tough though, if we're getting into impeachment hearings. That plus legislative sessions (what's their schedule?) and the holidays could potentially derail their second nom. Probably wishful thinking though.

PostPosted: Mon September 17, 2018 3:28 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Mark Judge is not having a good day.

PostPosted: Mon September 17, 2018 3:33 pm 
The Master

McParadigm wrote:

thanks for the heads up on this, just did a quick news search. as angry as i was (still am) about the way Franken was shown the door, i'm starting to appreciate the moral high ground the dems earned with that fiasco

PostPosted: Mon September 17, 2018 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

tragabigzanda wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
starting to think they might actually sink Kavanaugh
This certainly matters more than anything else that's been discussed.

Still, even if the GOP loses the Senate in November (and that's far from assured), they have until January to cram through an alternate to Kavanaugh that's likely to vote the same way he would.
Could be tough though, if we're getting into impeachment hearings. That plus legislative sessions (what's their schedule?) and the holidays could potentially derail their second nom. Probably wishful thinking though.
I'd be stunned if Republicans let this golden opportunity slip through their fingers.

Similarly, if the Dems had held onto the Senate in 2016 despite a Trump win, I would have expected them to force Merrick Garland through in the two weeks between the new Congress and the new President.

PostPosted: Mon September 17, 2018 4:12 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Anything less than public hearings will be completely impactless, but public hearings seem destined to backfire.

PostPosted: Mon September 17, 2018 4:25 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

thanks for the heads up on this, just did a quick news search. as angry as i was (still am) about the way Franken was shown the door, i'm starting to appreciate the moral high ground the dems earned with that fiasco

Fuck this guy and all guys like him

Quote:
“Only a person in denial still claims that something did not go terribly wrong in the Church after the 1960s, and that more often than not that thing was homosexual priests molesting teenage boys,“Judge wrote in the The Daily Caller in 2011. “My own take is that it had less to do with homosexuality than with the feverish libertinism of the 60s. Liberals have no interest in connecting the dots from liberalism to sexual abuse.”

Judge also noted in his essay: “I’m guilty as well, at least of the bouts of dehumanizing lust that is part of the fallen world and being human ... we all have that monster to some extent.”

PostPosted: Mon September 17, 2018 4:37 pm 
The Master

Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Fuck this guy and all guys like him

Quote:
“Only a person in denial still claims that something did not go terribly wrong in the Church after the 1960s, and that more often than not that thing was homosexual priests molesting teenage boys,“Judge wrote in the The Daily Caller in 2011. “My own take is that it had less to do with homosexuality than with the feverish libertinism of the 60s. Liberals have no interest in connecting the dots from liberalism to sexual abuse.”

Judge also noted in his essay: “I’m guilty as well, at least of the bouts of dehumanizing lust that is part of the fallen world and being human ... we all have that monster to some extent.”

This guy sounds like a real winner

PostPosted: Mon September 17, 2018 5:05 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Grassley and Cornyn still driving towards a Thursday cliff, but if you don’t even have Roy fucking Blunt...you’d really better not.

PostPosted: Mon September 17, 2018 5:09 pm 
The Master

I like to think that there are a good number of good ol' boys in the GOP whose sisters, wives and daughters are giving them hell over this.

PostPosted: Mon September 17, 2018 5:11 pm 
The Master

I think he'll lose the women GOP voters and it will be all over. I got the sense they were on the fence about him, with only party lines pulling them towards a confirmation vote, and now they have some serious reasons for them not to vote.

PostPosted: Mon September 17, 2018 5:15 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

tragabigzanda wrote:
I like to think that there are a good number of good ol' boys in the GOP whose sisters, wives and daughters are giving them hell over this.

If they haven't before they aren't now.

Alternate take: Even if they are it hasn't worked yet.

PostPosted: Mon September 17, 2018 6:09 pm 
The Master

McParadigm wrote:
Grassley and Cornyn still driving towards a Thursday cliff, but if you don’t even have Roy fucking Blunt...you’d really better not.

Don't you dare disrespect my beloved senator!

PostPosted: Mon September 17, 2018 6:17 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Jesus, Jim.

PostPosted: Mon September 17, 2018 7:00 pm 
The Master

bune wrote:

Jesus, Jim.

If the shoe fits? *shrugs*

PostPosted: Mon September 17, 2018 7:51 pm 
The Master

I dont care about Mitch McConnell's whining about this.

PostPosted: Mon September 17, 2018 7:57 pm 
The Master

Hmmm...

Quote:
And though McConnell lost that battle, his party quickly united around Kavanaugh, moving his confirmation process along at warp speed. Shortly after Senator Dianne Feinstein, the ranking Democrat on the Judiciary committee, referred the woman's allegation of sexual misconduct by the Supreme Court nominee to the FBI, Republican Chuck Grassley, chair of the Judiciary committee, released a letter in which 65 women vouched for Kavanaugh's character in high school.

This potentially indicates that, after a rushed confirmation hearing process, some within the Republican Party may have known of this allegation and moved forward with his nomination nonetheless. If so, this further proves that Senate Republicans are utterly out of step with the #MeToo generation.

PostPosted: Mon September 17, 2018 8:00 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

It's a generation, now?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon September 17, 2018 8:39 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

There is some definite foot shuffling going on. For the first time, I’m prepared to wonder if maybe they are hoping he will just take himself out of consideration. It seems like a brutal loss to have to accept, but no scenario here is great for the party, and the way some in leadership are floating public positions they already know won’t work with Collins/etc suggests time buying.

PostPosted: Mon September 17, 2018 8:51 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

That is not to say that I think that’s the most likely scenario. The most probable plotting, I think, is that they bulldoze over Collins and crew and we end up in an ACA-like dramatic showdown. But it is beginning to look possible, from their actions, that key figures just want him to step aside.

PostPosted: Mon September 17, 2018 9:01 pm 
The Master

McParadigm wrote:
That is not to say that I think that’s the most likely scenario. The most probable plotting, I think, is that they bulldoze over Collins and crew and we end up in an ACA-like dramatic showdown. But it is beginning to look possible, from their actions, that key figures just want him to step aside.

"Key figures" is basically anyone who's up for reelection in November and really needs the woman vote.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 191  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate