The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181 ... 192  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Tue July 12, 2022 4:57 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/new-arizona-law-places-limits-on-filming-police-amid-growing-calls-for-transparency-204945549.html

Gonna put a quick pin on this while I’m on vacation, but this will be a critical case to see whether this Supreme Court is willing to continue its broad consensus on an expansive Free Speech Clause or not. I feel slightly more confident than not that Gorsuch will come through, but I can't say the same for the other five right wing justices.

Is there any reason to codify a particular distance for when filming? Don't cops already have the ability to ask people to step back a couple feet?

PostPosted: Tue July 12, 2022 5:28 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

simple schoolboy wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/new-arizona-law-places-limits-on-filming-police-amid-growing-calls-for-transparency-204945549.html

Gonna put a quick pin on this while I’m on vacation, but this will be a critical case to see whether this Supreme Court is willing to continue its broad consensus on an expansive Free Speech Clause or not. I feel slightly more confident than not that Gorsuch will come through, but I can't say the same for the other five right wing justices.

Is there any reason to codify a particular distance for when filming? Don't cops already have the ability to ask people to step back a couple feet?

maybe to capture a badge number?

PostPosted: Tue July 12, 2022 6:06 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Laws against filming of cops seems like the type of thing that, in a past age, would have caused a protestant-like revolution against the established order.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed July 20, 2022 1:09 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Attention baby-dysoners, this is the way:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/19/us/politics/house-gay-marriage-bill.html

Just pass the law and we're good.

PostPosted: Sat August 06, 2022 3:51 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

I appreciate that as Americans you may get angry at Australians voicing their opinions on your processes like this, but I'd argue that the SCOTUS decisions in many ways have global effect.

How on the money are these guys? Because using humour can be a good way to get information across, but this is really just kinda scary.

PostPosted: Sun August 07, 2022 1:51 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

When I asked "How on the money are these guys?", that was actually a question of y'all. Are they about right or is this full of shit?

Genuinely curious.

PostPosted: Sun August 07, 2022 3:09 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

About right as far as I know.

PostPosted: Mon October 03, 2022 6:26 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

https://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/glacier-northwest-inc-v-international-brotherhood-of-teamsters/

Have some union busting, as a treat. (Not union busting per se, but possibly making them liable for damages to employer during a strike)

PostPosted: Mon October 31, 2022 7:04 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Mon October 31, 2022 7:10 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

B wrote:

Elie Mystal might be the most hysterical heterosexual male to ever live. Obviously Clarence Thomas is correctly pointing to the usage of diversity where, "it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less."

Edit: I do like the horseshoe aspect of the affirmative action issue. Racial essentialists: East Asians are incapable of innovation. Lefties: we must discriminate against East Asians for reasons we're not going to get into.

PostPosted: Tue November 01, 2022 3:11 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

PostPosted: Tue November 01, 2022 12:48 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Think for a minute on how thought-leaders on the left like Mystal will openly ignore the data the Harvard themselves provided to try and defend this:

PostPosted: Sat November 19, 2022 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

4/5 wrote:
Theories on the leak? Liberal clerk(s) hoping to spark a wave of outrage/protests/congressional action? Or public pressure for the majority to scale back the scope of this decision from a complete overrule to merely increased restrictions?

Suspicion is going to draw closer to the author now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/19/us/s ... -wade.html

PostPosted: Sat November 19, 2022 8:27 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Green Habit wrote:
4/5 wrote:
Theories on the leak? Liberal clerk(s) hoping to spark a wave of outrage/protests/congressional action? Or public pressure for the majority to scale back the scope of this decision from a complete overrule to merely increased restrictions?

Suspicion is going to draw closer to the author now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/19/us/s ... -wade.html

I read it, but what is the evidence they are presenting? Reads like 'well, now that we lost Congress we probably won't get Thomas for 06.Jan, so who else can we get so Biden can nominate a replacement before 2024?'. It wouldn't be the first time an activist has lied to a reporter predisposed to believe them.

PostPosted: Sun November 20, 2022 12:50 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Do Justices get removed for leaking decisions?

PostPosted: Sun November 20, 2022 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

B wrote:
Do Justices get removed for leaking decisions?
Only way a justice can get removed for anything is via impeachment, and I think you can guess the odds of that being completed in this case.

PostPosted: Sun November 20, 2022 9:27 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

So, we didn't make this up just to get Alito kicked off the Court so that Biden can nominate someone?

PostPosted: Mon December 05, 2022 11:32 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

How is making a website for someone a violation of your free speech. This future website designer would be providing a platform, not speaking. If the platform is the speech, isn't Facebook and Twitter responsible for everything posted on their sites?

PostPosted: Tue December 06, 2022 9:23 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
How is making a website for someone a violation of your free speech. This future website designer would be providing a platform, not speaking. If the platform is the speech, isn't Facebook and Twitter responsible for everything posted on their sites?

The question is if it's compelled speech. Like demanding an Islamic bakery draw Muhammad on a cake.

https://www.scotusblog.com/2022/12/cons ... -marriage/

What's interesting is that the arguments against the plaintiff are at odds with anti-racist policies. For example:

Quote:
Brian Fletcher, the principal deputy solicitor general who argued on behalf of the Biden administration in support of Colorado, resisted any effort to carve out an exemption for same-sex marriage. The Supreme Court’s First Amendment cases, he argued, do not distinguish between “views we find odious and those we respect.” He noted that in 1976, the Supreme Court ruled that private schools may not discriminate based on race. But if Smith prevails, he posited, a private school could exclude some children by arguing that the messages that it teaches “change when we express them to students of a different race.”

Isn't this exactly what anti-racist educators assert is happening via the 'white supremacy' embedded our education system?

PostPosted: Tue December 06, 2022 10:02 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

The question is if it's compelled speech.

https://www.scotusblog.com/2022/12/cons ... -marriage/

But is she speaking? She's just providing the platform for others to speak.

Bi_3 wrote:
What's interesting is that the arguments against the plaintiff are at odds with anti-racist policies. For example:

Quote:
Brian Fletcher, the principal deputy solicitor general who argued on behalf of the Biden administration in support of Colorado, resisted any effort to carve out an exemption for same-sex marriage. The Supreme Court’s First Amendment cases, he argued, do not distinguish between “views we find odious and those we respect.” He noted that in 1976, the Supreme Court ruled that private schools may not discriminate based on race. But if Smith prevails, he posited, a private school could exclude some children by arguing that the messages that it teaches “change when we express them to students of a different race.”

Isn't this exactly what anti-racist educators assert is happening via the 'white supremacy' embedded our education system?

Are you asking if anti-racists endorse teaching different messages to children of different races?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181 ... 192  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate