The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176 ... 191  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2022 5:59 am 
Gone

Dev wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Dev wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Dev wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Dev wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
I read an article about phoebe bridgers basically bragging about her abortion. People like her are every bit the cretin someone who wants to force an incest baby into the world is.

I paraphrased this post in a real conversation today as an example of the most awful right wing rhetoric out there.

Glad I could help

Please reevaluate your politics. The biggest problem in our population is not the woke left? Trust me the right wing status quo is not your friend. No policemen or entrepreneurs or even KKK guys would be your friend. They would look down on you. woke Dev was your buddy tho.

I just don’t get women wearing their abortion as a badge of honor, that’s all. Some of them talk about it like it’s acupuncture or something. Super weird.

I don't think they do tho. Find me an actual example.

Phoebe Bridgers

What video? But even if its really as bad as you say so what? It's anecdotal evidence. Why are you using the absolute worst example to define the left? And why don't you do the same when defining the right wing school of thought you are apparently a member of? And do you realize that social media is brainwashing you because it sends you the article about the worst example of left wing politics that it knows will provoke you and confirm your beliefs? You gotta be more objective, buddy. Because your politics have become inexcusable.

Can’t argue with any of that really. I think I have a hard time with this one because it’s not even going to change much for 99 percent of people. And the angriest people are protesting in places like Chicago where there is less than zero chance access to abortion will ever change. I’m sure if I thought hard enough about the pro life side I could get annoyed with them too.

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2022 12:24 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

verb_to_trust wrote:
I’m sure if I thought hard enough about...

Look out below!

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2022 12:32 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Dev wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

<snip>

If it was that simple we could solve it. A big issue is that both positions only come as part of a package deal. So if you want to vote for abortion you need to accept #Defund, open borders, equity over equality, criminals over victims, "it's an obscure legal theory not taught in schools", fuck whytee, fuck America, fuck Christians, fuck math and reading, fuck cars, fuck whytee again, fuck paying back loans, fuck businesses, weekly flag updates, someone sent your boss your old posts from alt.music.pearl-jam and now off to HR, puberty blockers for tweens, and keeping masks on toddlers during zoom school. Our culture needs to figure out a way to untangle these things if we want to keep abortion safe, private, and legal (and we most certainly do), because, as they say, support is a mile wide and an inch thick.

The problem is the right wingers who delusionally group this all together and reject it unequivocally

It's obviously hyperbole, but think about it for a second (trust me it won't hurt). Why is it that nearly 80% of American voters support access to abortion but it's not codified yet? Which candidate could someone vote for if they are pro-choice but against teaching anti-racism to kindergartners? Which candidate is pro-choice but against insanity like this? Which candidate would declare "defunding the police is a terrible idea" or "violent felons belong in jail"? Which candidate would stand up to the Biden admin's gender-affirming care directive? Which candidate would dare say that maybe our elite institutions should admit people based on merit and not their intersections?

These are all things that the general public fucking hates about the blue team. And so we must ask ourselves if in a month will voters really care about abortion over all of these other things (and that doesnt even include the economy). Because if they don't, something is gonna have to give in order to bring Roe back into law.

Spoiler: show
Let's try an answer other than "filibuster"

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2022 2:40 pm 
The Master

We’ve probably lost GH and 4/5 forever now that dev has taken control of this thread

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2022 2:41 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I'm glad Dev is getting more involved in politics and social justice. You can't be neutral on a moving train or whatever.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2022 3:18 pm 
Gone

Something like .05 percent of the us population even accessed these services last year but we’re all freaking out about it and going to vote single issue in November. Meanwhile, everything else is on fire. It’s so stupid.

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2022 4:13 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:
We’ve probably lost GH and 4/5 forever now that dev has taken control of this thread

Yeah, someone send out the B signal and get this content moved.

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2022 4:31 pm 
Poster of the Year

verb_to_trust wrote:
Something like .05 percent of the us population even accessed these services last year but we’re all freaking out about it and going to vote single issue in November. Meanwhile, everything else is on fire. It’s so stupid.

You're still a giant piece of shit, it seems.

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2022 5:03 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Norris wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

"it doesn't affect me so it's stupid and who cares"

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2022 6:17 pm 
Gone

You guys don’t find it odd that this is all anyone can talk about even though it effects a tiny percentage of the population and access to this thing next to nobody gets hasn’t actually been banned?

It just seems like it’s something that is supposed to distract us and make us hate each other more.

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2022 6:19 pm 
Gone

Norris wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

I think you’re a good guy and I’m not going to let this change my opinion of you.

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2022 6:28 pm 
Gone

epilogue wrote:
Norris wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

"it doesn't affect me so it's stupid and who cares"

I understand that sometimes things I say can come off wrong. I don’t blame you for having this reaction. My pms are always open for further discussion!

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2022 6:32 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

It's always best to ignore verb, but I hate to leave falsehoods on the board. There were 916,000 abortions in 2019 which is 4X more than he's claiming.

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2022 6:34 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Just fucking ban him already.

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2022 6:44 pm 
Gone

B wrote:
It's always best to ignore verb, but I hate to leave falsehoods on the board. There were 916,000 abortions in 2019 which is 4X more than he's claiming.

Thanks for the correction! That’s still a small portion of the country!

Last edited by verb_to_trust on Sun June 26, 2022 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2022 6:45 pm 
Gone

JuanHamm wrote:
Just fucking ban him already.

I love you, I’m sorry, please forgive me, thank you

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2022 6:48 pm 
Rank This Poster

Rob wrote:
warehouse wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:
I really don't think, for most people, its that malicious.

If you really believed that life began at conception then the idea of abortion would be pretty abhorrent.

'the pope digs population
freedom from taxation'
-sixto rodriguez

I love that song.

JuanHamm wrote:
I really don't think, for most people, its that malicious.

If you really believed that life began at conception then the idea of abortion would be pretty abhorrent.

I agree with you. This is why abortion is tricky. One side advocates for the woman, one for the unborn. I really don’t know how you reconcile this type of thing, but there are 2 genuine, heartfelt arguments here.

this isn't advocating for the unborn. if people wanted to do that they would call for better and free prenatal care. and this isn't going to stop any abortions, it's just making it harder for women to control their own bodies. it's almost like people want to punish women for getting pregnant by making them carry a child to term. and every single argument goes back to religion and the belief that life starts at conception. even if it's only going to actually effect a small amount of the population, this is such a huge step in the wrong direction everyone should wonder what the hell is going on. i can't believe this actually happened.

why don't i see the phrase "activist judges" in the media?

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2022 6:51 pm 
Gone

I haven’t seen “activist judges” in the media yet but I did see “American taliban” used to describe them.

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2022 7:10 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Re. abortion: The left's arguments are as dumb as the right's. The right generally has a built in excuse of "God told them", which, while not great, is at least in keeping with their system. The Left's basis is just pure fantasy and making up weird motivations of its enemies to have something to rail against/appeal to/reason with.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun June 26, 2022 7:14 pm 
Rank This Poster

BurtReynolds wrote:
Re. abortion: The left's arguments are as dumb as the right's. The right generally has a built in excuse of "God told them", which, while not great, is at least in keeping with their system. The Left's basis is just pure fantasy and making up weird motivations of its enemies to have something to rail against/appeal to/reason with.

what on earth are you even talking about? "God told them" is literally a fantasy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176 ... 191  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate